Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
The movement is the most vital thing for a single striker in our system though. If he does badly at that role, the whole pack of cards falls down, as there is no focal point to the attack.

For example, if we work it wide, and Lukaku has just jogged into no man's land, then the ball will be worked back and sideways to retain possession and look for another opening.

This is why he's such a let down in the league for me. Nothing sticks to him, so we can't regularly get runners beyond him.

Sometimes though, he's almost playing like a CF, having not seen the ball for so long he drops quite deep to even get a touch. We don't actually need Lukaku to be on the receiving end of everything, his link up play can be great and our other players DO have goals in them - especially with Naismith and Barkley, which unfortunately this season hasn't come off as well.

I'm thinking Osman, (yep you heard me), might inject some of this magic today.

Sometimes though, he's almost playing like a CF, having not seen the ball for so long he drops quite deep to even get a touch. We don't actually need Lukaku to be on the receiving end of everything, his link up play can be great and our other players DO have goals in them - especially with Naismith and Barkley, which unfortunately this season hasn't come off as well.

I'm thinking Osman, (yep you heard me), might inject some of this magic today.

That's exactly what I'm saying, and that's the problem. When he drops deep, he does it badly - he just wanders into positions of no impact, mostly attached to a defender, and is not a viable option for the pass, so we turn round and go back.

His link up play can be great - it's a shame we only see it in Europe!

That's exactly what I'm saying, and that's the problem. When he drops deep, he does it badly - he just wanders into positions of no impact, mostly attached to a defender, and is not a viable option for the pass, so we turn round and go back.

I personally see this situation in games as our Midfielders problem, rather than Lukakus. Though his touch does need to improve...

They should be saying 'stay the h*ck in position and WE will get you the ball'. He wouldn't ever be coming deep for the ball if we were able to get it to him in the first place!

I personally see this situation in games as our Midfielders problem, rather than Lukakus. Though his touch does need to improve...

They should be saying 'stay the h*ck in position and WE will get you the ball'. He wouldn't ever be coming deep for the ball if we were able to get it to him in the first place!

Nah see, this is where I disagree.

We play a 4-5-1, that should transition into a 4-3-3 in attack.

What should be happening is that Lukaku takes the initial ball into feet, which in turn gets the wide players higher up the pitch as the ball is in possession in the final third.

The ball is then moved wide, or back to the supporting attacking midfielder, meaning the two wide men have gone in between the full back and centre half. Lukaku would then turn and go into the space between the two centre halves to make a top three.

Then you have options and have pinned the opposition back. As the wide attackers have cut in, the overlapping full backs come into play.

In short, because Lukaku doesn't drop deep intelligently, the midfield and attack are isolated and the defence mop up easily. It's no coincidence we're at our best in Europe because the ball sticks to Lukaku around 35 yards out from goal.

Nah see, this is where I disagree.

We play a 4-5-1, that should transition into a 4-3-3 in attack.

What should be happening is that Lukaku takes the initial ball into feet, which in turn gets the wide players higher up the pitch as the ball is in possession in the final third.

The ball is then moved wide, or back to the supporting attacking midfielder, meaning the two wide men have gone in between the full back and centre half. Lukaku would then turn and go into the space between the two centre halves to make a top three.

Then you have options and have pinned the opposition back. As the wide attackers have cut in, the overlapping full backs come into play.

In short, because Lukaku doesn't drop deep intelligently, the midfield and attack are isolated and the defence mop up easily. It's no coincidence we're at our best in Europe because the ball sticks to Lukaku around 35 yards out from goal.
That was quite a good description of the tactics there, you should probably have taken up coaching or something haha!

Thinking a little more critically like this has made me reconsider slightly... however I want to ask whether you think this would still be an application situation if the likes of Barkley, Naismith and Mirallas(/whoever else) actually knew what they were doing?

The midfielders are just as AWOL as Lukaku for periods of the game in this regard.

That was quite a good description of the tactics there, you should probably have taken up coaching or something haha!

Thinking a little more critically like this has made me reconsider slightly... however I want to ask whether you think this would still be an application situation if the likes of Barkley, Naismith and Mirallas(/whoever else) actually knew what they were doing?

The midfielders are just as AWOL as Lukaku for periods of the game in this regard.

They're letting themselves down, but the ball is in the wrong part of the pitch for them to get involved. We're starting attacks with Gareth Barry going sideways on the halfway line, instead of from the feet of Lukaku 20 yards further up.

With the attack (for what it is) coming from deep, all Barkley/Naismith can do is aimlessly drift left or right and are man marked by the defensive midfielders whilst the centre half picks up Lukaku, all at a slow tempo, so they are out of the game.

The wingers, on the other hand, have to attach to the full back, as there's no situation where our full backs can get high enough beyond to double up and cause the danger that way, meaning Mirallas can come inside and worry the centre halves, freeing up space for Lukaku.

So, in short, it all comes from Lukaku's movement - it may seem unfair that I'm picking on him, but he's the focal point of the whole system, and if what he's doing doesn't work, pretty much nothing does, as there are no easy options ahead of the play for the pass.

That's why we need to hit Lukaku early when confidence is low and see what sticks, then play off that. It isn't the philosophy of Martinez, but what it does is get people going direct and playing with pace, rather than overthinking.

They're letting themselves down, but the ball is in the wrong part of the pitch for them to get involved. We're starting attacks with Gareth Barry going sideways on the halfway line, instead of from the feet of Lukaku 20 yards further up.

With the attack (for what it is) coming from deep, all Barkley/Naismith can do is aimlessly drift left or right and are man marked by the defensive midfielders whilst the centre half picks up Lukaku, all at a slow tempo, so they are out of the game.

The wingers, on the other hand, have to attach to the full back, as there's no situation where our full backs can get high enough beyond to double up and cause the danger that way, meaning Mirallas can come inside and worry the centre halves, freeing up space for Lukaku.

So, in short, it all comes from Lukaku's movement - it may seem unfair that I'm picking on him, but he's the focal point of the whole system, and if what he's doing doesn't work, pretty much nothing does, as there are no easy options ahead of the play for the pass.

That's why we need to hit Lukaku early when confidence is low and see what sticks, then play off that. It isn't the philosophy of Martinez, but what it does is get people going direct and playing with pace, rather than overthinking.
You have made me think about the entire situation in a differ manner which I'll give you credit for!

But perhaps I'm just a little Bias towards Lukaku (Myself and my housemates etc do rate him very highly, we even have a shrine ffs) as I think the midfielders as a whole should have more control over the ball/situation in midfield. By this I mean that... I often feel the midfielders drift so much that we don't even have an attacking shape, there's often beaming spaces that are begging for a run through - unfulfilled by Rom in some cases but also potentially 2 others of ours at the same time.

So this, I guess, is why I feel they spearhead the attack at least on an equal level to Rom - and personally lay off the particular criticism towards him.

I do agree that we should be somewhat more inclined to get the ball quicker to him when it looks as though heads/confidence is dropping. However, there was a period on Thursday where when we were trying to do that - I actually felt a little sick at the amount of aimless diagonals that were going out of play or being overhit.

It's a paradox really because I also feel sick watching us pass sideways 600 times only to win a corner and play it back to the keeper.

I'll never take what you say seriously. For as long as I've seen you post, you've been a malcontent. Always the expert and never a good word to say about Moyes or Martinez. xxx

I'll never take what you say seriously. For as long as I've seen you post, you've been a malcontent. Always the expert and never a good word to say about Moyes or Martinez. xxx

Haha agenda much? Put me on ignore instead of trying to start a fight for no reason then soft lad.

Haha agenda much? Put me on ignore instead of trying to start a fight for no reason then soft lad.

If I was gonna put you on ignore, I would have done it after you were on here moaning about our performance the last time we beat citeh at their place. MALCONTENT :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back