Main Site, Please Vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Would you like a main site attached to these forums? The current 'home' page is obviously not good enough at the moment, I could either improve that the best I could or go all out and with the help of a professional (obviously at a cost)

What do you all think? Would you rather the site stayed purely as forums or would you like a top quality main site added to the site?

Really need opinions on this lads because it wont be cheap.

What I was thinking of here was to have an experiment as an example of what we were talking about as content and the commitment involved in coming up with it.

Let's take our last FA Cup winning year and see if we can distribute the squad members (not just as easy as a team!) and find out if we can get enough input for a pen portrait of each player (distributed via lottery). No copying, all your own work (and I'm a dab hand at spotting plagiarism), and between 300-500 words...

What do you think, admins?

Upvote 0
What I was thinking of here was to have an experiment as an example of what we were talking about as content and the commitment involved in coming up with it.

Let's take our last FA Cup winning year and see if we can distribute the squad members (not just as easy as a team!) and find out if we can get enough input for a pen portrait of each player (distributed via lottery). No copying, all your own work (and I'm a dab hand at spotting plagiarism), and between 300-500 words...

What do you think, admins?

I might be tired... but I have NO IDEA what you are on about.... :mellow:

Upvote 0
I might be tired... but I have NO IDEA what you are on about.... :mellow:
Err, OK.

We were talking above about adding a "proper" site to these forums.

Some of us were saying that a potential problem is not the design but actually getting the content in the first place and keeping it all updated.

Since this can only really successfully happen if the community here wants to get involved, I thought that a small experiment might give an idea of whether this might work or not.

The experiment would consist of people here
1) Saying that they wanted to participate
2) Being allocated (by chance so that you don't just get the "sexy" players) a squad member from the 95 Cup-winning squad
3) Writing 300-500 words of their own about the player

If it worked you would have a nice base of 20 pen portraits of our last successful squad to add to the new part of the site. If it didn't you would know that the idea was a nice one, but people would always want someone else to do the work. And you could still add the pen portraits that did get done to this site in the news section or somewhere else.

(I used to be able to make more sense than this, believe it or not. Maybe it's working in a foreign language for too long - I've seen what it does to you as well, rob! ;) )

Upvote 0
I fully understand now though :)

Good idea, I can tell anyone right now that I'm too lazy and too busy to keep up with current news and stuff.

Upvote 0
Lads, the main thing wrong with this site is obviously the content.

The site I have in mind would be done by a pro designer, with a professional custom news/page system - which is essential in having good content.

I'll show you all previews of the site as I get them :)

Upvote 0

Trust me, the layout Danny is looking at is very, very nice (and that is understating it). And I am sure we would have no problem finding content, especially with atrottel coming up with great ideas like that.

Upvote 0
Take a laptop in to a blue pub pre-game and you'd be saturated for content. It'd all be lies, hearsay and drivel, but hey if tribalfootball can post their misguided content, why cant we!

Upvote 0

You realise that you have at least two (and probably more) web developers amongst your members?

Yup, one right here! Although, not too great with php, mind.

The big problem with going 'All out' is not simply 'cost of a professional job', the first question you NEED to ask is why go all out. Are you wanting a whizz-bang site just for the prestige, or are there people among us that are SOOO enthusiastic about contributing week-in/week-out, and are they crying out for a re-vamp of the site.

Let me ask you all, do you like the look of the OS? Me, I can't stand it, but I bet you they spent a fortune on a 'professional job'! And that leads me to the next point, how would you decide the layout/content etc? I can tell you from experience, that unless you can nail out all the issues quickly with the help of level headed people, and those bloody airy-fairy marketing types don't try and come up with too many scenarios, the whole project will still be being discussed in 6 months time!!!

My advice, is simple. Identify who/what the site is for, and what you'll achieve by changing it.

BTW, I'm sittin on the 'Dont Mind Either Way' fence.

Upvote 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back