Managers within our reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luis Enrique once was Real Madrid player. Bet Barcelona fans couldn't be arsed with a triple he brought them based on that fact.

And one of the best players who played for this club came from Liverpool by the way.

I'm not the fan of Benitez but I do understand people who would jump that ship.

I'd have Benitez, but I just can't see him working effectively under this system.

As maybe some of you know, I'm not biggest fan of Marco Silva, so I compiled a list of managers who are imo attainable by a club of our size and have better credentials than our current manager. I divided them by countries they're currently managing and there is a list of unemployed ones as well. There are lot of suggestions in other threads, so it would be better to keep it in one place.

PS I tried to keep it realistic so I didn't put the usual suspects like Mourinho, Blanc or Conte here as there's no way we could attract them. Moyes didn't make it as well ;)

Unemployed
Julen Lopetegui (last managed Real Madrid)
Peter Stoger (Borussia Dortmund)
Heiko Herrlich (Bayer Leverkusen)
Vincenzo Montella (Sevilla)
Gustavo Poyet (Bordeaux)
Phillip Cocu (Fenerbahce)

England
Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
Rafael Benitez (Newcastle)
Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds)

France
Christophe Galtier (Lille)
Bruno Genesio (Lyon)
Thierry Laurey (Strasbourg) - impressive work with Strasbourg, he promoted them to Ligue 1 and they're sitting on 5th place with a League Cup final to follow.
Patrick Vieira (Nice)
Rudi Garcia (Marseille)

Spain
Jose Bordalas (Getafe)
Marcelino (Valencia)
Quique Setien (Betis)

Germany
Adi Hutter (Frankfurt)
Bruno Labbadia (Wolfsburg)

Italy
Gian Piero Gasperini (Atalanta)
Simone Inzaghi (Lazio)
Stefano Pioli (Fiorentina)

Other
Marco Rose (Red Bull Salzburg)
Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord)
Steve Clarke (Kilmarnock)
Sergio Conceicao (Porto)

A bunch of random names. And who would give the job to Steve Clarke ahead of Moyes?!!

The fact is the majority of these names are just as likely to be another disaster as they are to being a success.

I mean, Patrick Viera - what has he done to deserve a shot at a top English team. Being a famous footballer does not count.

For me, I like Setien.

I also like Gasperini and Garitano. Any of those would probably suit what we are trying to do quite well.

Cocoa could also be a useful medium term move.

Hmm, not sure all the names on that list are attainable or have evidenced that they are likely to be any better than what we have.

Bielsa would be an interesting and a big ball appointment though. Very experienced, methodical and a strong winning mentality. I think we could do with a no-nonsense type of manager to shake things up.
Bielsa is an interesting coach, but success is not a word I would associate with him. Spectacular failure more like. It would certainly prove to be an entertaining six months or so!

For me, I like Setien.

I also like Gasperini and Garitano. Any of those would probably suit what we are trying to do quite well.

Cocoa could also be a useful medium term move.

All 4 of these sound like foodstuffs.

Seitan is definitely a vegan meat replacement that she keeps trying to make me try.

Gasperini and Garitano sound like Lidl own brands wines.

And Cocoa...well that one is obvious.

I’d be happy with any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.