Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i'm not really arguing with your overall point I don't think. I was just replying because I was struck by some of the examples you used, they're very different to the players you're talking about. We weren't trying to get rid of Heitinga, he'd been good for us. He turned down a new contract and left in the January before his contract ended. Mirallas must have signed a couple of new contracts, we were never trying to get rid of him until Brands came in. Letting Joel go on a free was a pretty ridiculous decision in my opinion, again he was a decent player who we'd never really wanted to get rid of. The likes of Niasse and Martina are nothing like those players really.

I suppose more than anything there was just a list of players who left on frees to illustrate its often out the clubs hands . I didn’t go into and perhaps I should the Eddie bosnar, said’s , Leonardo’s et al . The reality is some players can’t be shifted and some simply chose to run their contracts down .

on Mirallas we’d have sold him if we could , we loaned him twice didn’t we ? So selling him would certainly have happened if we could , Heitinga is an interesting one as He did ok in patches and had be a regular in the past but was often a divisive figure but he played about 5 times before he left that season so hardly integral .

I suppose more than anything there was just a list of players who left on frees to illustrate its often out the clubs hands . I didn’t go into and perhaps I should the Eddie bosnar, said’s , Leonardo’s et al . The reality is some players can’t be shifted and some simply chose to run their contracts down .

on Mirallas we’d have sold him if we could , we loaned him twice didn’t we ? So selling him would certainly have happened if we could , Heitinga is an interesting one as He did ok in patches and had be a regular in the past but was often a divisive figure but he played about 5 times before he left that season so hardly integral .
Yes we'd have sold Mirallas but only really from the point Brands came in. We only gave him a new contract in 2017. Same with Heitinga, he was a regular under Moyes, we offered him a new contract and he turned it down. He left in the January window of the season he wasn't playing much, so effectively at the first opportunity after we wanted rid. The likes of Leandro and Bosnar are different too because they were no mark punts on very little wages. Niasse is someone we've basically not wanted since 3 months after he signed, and he's taking home £50k a week or whatever, it's a different situation.

I'm not knocking Brands, I'm agreeing with you I think. Sorry, I wasn't trying to pick holes or anything, I probably chipped in on seeing your post before I really understood what was being discussed!

Wow. Some amazing opinions here.

If you can't tell the difference b/t the sides of 17/18 AND 18/19, you need to have your head examined. I won't even begin to explain xPTS to any genius that thinks that - it would've had us finish bottom third easy, some models had us as low as 17th or 18th, but you'd think your eyes would be able to tell, ignoring just the basic 20 goal and 5 point difference.

But FAR AND AWAY the best opinion, is the idea that Brands is at fault for not being able to shift Niasse and Martina, two players - especially Niasse, who would have NEVER BEEN ACQUIRED if we had employed a proper Director of Football in the first place. Talk about irony. Niasse is the most incompetent buy in club history. Totally irresponsible. To this day no one is still taking responsibility for it, because the club had zero direction, zero recruitment strategy, zero plan, and zero accountability.

It is completely unreasaonable to suggest that it's his responsibility to fool other clubs into taking players that are clearly not good enough - he's a Director of Football, not a Carnival Barker or a mob hitman. Just insanity of course, but obviously this is a wind up because if we all know they are crap, the suggestion that others might not think so is farcical. Yet Brands has somehow - I don't know how - convinced several Championship clubs to take him on, despite only have 6 months on Niasse's deal, and he's said no. Same with Cenk. Had him sold, he said no. Finally, Carlo yanking him helped him see he's not wanted.

Beyond that, I love all the negativity over Iwobi. The kid has been amazingly productive in the PL considering he's been playing out of position - go look at his numbers in open play vs. Bernard. I cannot wait until he is playing in our midfield properly supported by a couple decent DMs/CMs. He's also 23. But he has a couple average performances and people think he can't play - I'm going to trust the 1,000s of other minutes he's played rather than the couple hundred with us. It's like Kean must stink because he played a couple times as a 19 year old in a team with zero service.

As far as the Delph signing, he's our best midfielder. He was signed to be a backup 8 and he's been starting and playing as a 6. Is he great? Not really, but he's miles better than Davies, Scheiderlin, and everyone else in there. Thank heavens Brands signed someone at that spot.

Last point - Brands has a much longer time horizon than many of you. He's not thinking about just this window. He's got a longer term strategy and he's going to stick to it. I cannot imagine what state this club would be in without him.

I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.
It's not a big deal. It was a good purchase to solve both depth and leadership. I hope Brands doesn't make many more like it - he probably won't. But his positional versatility has been quite helpful.

I’m on about people complaining of Vecino’s age and I countered with Barry as an example of why age doesn’t always matter in a transfer.
It matters in terms of return. There's a reason why Brands has maybe made one or two buys older than 25 in the last 10 years.

But he's also not had a team this poor before. If we are so devoid of leadership, I'm fine with it, but it can't be common practice. We have to build value and generate growth. That's not the way to do it.

It matters in terms of return. There's a reason why Brands has maybe made one or two buys older than 25 in the last 10 years.

But he's also not had a team this poor before. If we are so devoid of leadership, I'm fine with it, but it can't be common practice. We have to build value and generate growth. That's not the way to do it.

You don’t have to sign every player with the intention of selling them on later down the line. If they come, they play well & help us win games I don’t care if they’re 15 or 35.

It's a total fallacy that, just completely made up. He brought in three players over 25 this summer alone.

It's a total fallacy that, just completely made up. He brought in three players over 25 this summer alone.
Exactly, he may have done it before but that's in the Dutch league which is very much an U23 development league which is all about recycling players for profit. In the PL it's about having the right players who can do a job regardless of age. I mean, some on here have called for Baines to play this year at times and he is 35!

Exactly, he may have done it before but that's in the Dutch league which is very much an U23 development league which is all about recycling players for profit. In the PL it's about having the right players who can do a job regardless of age. I mean, some on here have called for Baines to play this year at times and he is 35!

Just keep in mind he got virtually NOTHING from the academy at AZ. He didn't get that opportunity, he had to buy and sell. Started with a decent team mind you, but it's still AZ. PSV, yeah, of course, the academy was brilliant. But I think the PSV model is the one he can emulate here, just makes it hard when we are on an academy transfer ban until November.

Just keep in mind he got virtually NOTHING from the academy at AZ. He didn't get that opportunity, he had to buy and sell. Started with a decent team mind you, but it's still AZ. PSV, yeah, of course, the academy was brilliant. But I think the PSV model is the one he can emulate here, just makes it hard when we are on an academy transfer ban until November.

The Dutch model wont work in this country.

It works over there cos everybody pkays kids, ut wont work here cos nobody plays kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back