Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have to pull out stats like forward passes and some of the other weird ones people were digging out over important ones like goals/assists/crosses completed etc. then you probably haven’t got a good player on your hands. The fact is none of those players mentioned are good enough and we absolutely have to do better because no iteration of them in midfield has worked in the slightest.

Rather keep Iwobi than the other two.

Brands came to everton when we had gone through a period of 3 managers in as many years and a 1st team squad of around 45/50 players and so lopsided with certain positions over others ;-( He said that it was going to be a long term plan to restructure how stuff was done and it had to be done on a method that ensures long term financial stability for the club !

Every one of the signings , no matter how great or not, will have someone complaining of it ;-( eg Richarlison dives like a fanny too much despite all his goals and determination , Gbamin despite freak inhury to soft for league etc Delph/Kean being a idiot on social media, Glyffi not like Messi etc

For once though, there actually seems to be a plan of action on the whole structure of the squad !

Kenny sent on loan to Germany for gametime and development of his game
Gibson, signing new contract, as told of plan to loan him out and draft him into 1st team
Branthewaite, again signed with detailed plan to get into 1st team
Kean,, signed from Juve and top prospect in world football
Sidibe, signed on loan to take look at with option to buy

Naisse with offers for loans and sales he refused ;-(
Tosun sent to Palace with option to buy
Bolasie same with option to buy in loan

Again

Vlasic - sister mouthing off in media, was offered to go on loan but demanded 1st team spot but there was Rooney, Glyffi and Klaasen there for position so sold on for profit with % of next sale
Onyekuru - No work permit possible so sold on for profit

Media reports before Brands were 99% premiership players but so far since rumours started Brazil, Holland, France, Italy ,Argentina etc

Good relationship with Barcelona

Brands himself at last AGM said he was'nt 100% happy with what he got done as always striving to be the best he can!

People moaning and moaning Ancelloti can't work with a DOF but He practically always has and has said he respects and enjoys that way as its how the majority of European clubs work!

Finally there actually seems to be an idea to improve the squad while reducing the amount of players and wages from previously which has been a noose around our neck and hopefully by end of this summer we ll have got the majority of the bloated squad sorted and replaced with younger, hungrier and on less wages than the one now ;-)

This isn't football Manager like some on here think saying fire Brands, sign 12 new players and release the players we have on contracts for free etc!
We need to think like a business not with emotions with players who were/have been great but coming towards end of careers eg Baines/Coleman ! Their mainly back up players on 65/70 thousand a week ;-( Positives you can say they know club, league etc but financially if you had a business would you have a high paid member of staff on payroll who you called on maybe 5 times a year to help or get an apprentice in you can train up ?
A lot of what you say here I agree with. However, you present the positive elements of the job Brands has done in the way many other posters present the negatives. The conversation about Brands has become horribly polarised, he's either our saviour or a fraud. Obviously, he's somewhere in between.
At some point, and people will disagree on precisely when that point will be, there has to be noticeable progress on the pitch. This year has been worse, in terms of results, than last year. If that is in service of an improvement in the medium term, that's fine but that improvement has to come sooner rather than later, especially when you consider the amount of cash we have been lashing at it.
For me, if we continue to languish in mid-table also-ran territory again next season then Brands will have failed. If we are in the 4th to 7th spots then ok, maybe it's working.

A lot of what you say here I agree with. However, you present the positive elements of the job Brands has done in the way many other posters present the negatives. The conversation about Brands has become horribly polarised, he's either our saviour or a fraud. Obviously, he's somewhere in between.
At some point, and people will disagree on precisely when that point will be, there has to be noticeable progress on the pitch. This year has been worse, in terms of results, than last year. If that is in service of an improvement in the medium term, that's fine but that improvement has to come sooner rather than later, especially when you consider the amount of cash we have been lashing at it.
For me, if we continue to languish in mid-table also-ran territory again next season then Brands will have failed. If we are in the 4th to 7th spots then ok, maybe it's working.

Thats exactly the thing though ;-) His now here 2 years and work has been done on and off pitch but there has not been consistency as you say ;-( Over the past 5 years we've been average mid table going from Martinez 1st season in Europe to above relegation zone for 2 seasons after ;(' Hopefully we ll see this season the stability and the plan that finally seems to be put in place now and as the lads in youth squads said that there now the players are'nt been stockpiled like before in hope they ll move on and the players in the age below showing the potential are getting placed in the upper age groups unlike previously ;-)

At some point, and people will disagree on precisely when that point will be, there has to be noticeable progress on the pitch. rThis year has been worse, in terms of results, than last year. If that is in service of an improvement in the medium term, that's fine but that improvement has to come sooner rather than later, especially when you consider the amount of cash we have been lashing at it.

That is hardly Brands fault, it is down to Silva.

That is hardly Brands fault, it is down to Silva.
We're constantly being told that the DoF and the coach are a team when it comes to on field performance. If that isn't the case then I don't understand the point of the role.
Technically, Brands appointed Silva. The fact that we all know it was Moshiri should be a negative thing for Brands and could be viewed as a negative thing that Brands just accepted it. I very much doubt that Ancelotti was Brands pick either.
Whichever way you slice it, if the team isn't performing on the pitch the DoF has to accept some responsibility otherwise what is he here for?

We're constantly being told that the DoF and the coach are a team when it comes to on field performance. If that isn't the case then I don't understand the point of the role.
Technically, Brands appointed Silva. The fact that we all know it was Moshiri should be a negative thing for Brands and could be viewed as a negative thing that Brands just accepted it. I very much doubt that Ancelotti was Brands pick either.
Whichever way you slice it, if the team isn't performing on the pitch the DoF has to accept some responsibility otherwise what is he here for?

For recruitment not on field tactics.

For recruitment not on field tactics.
No, his job goes way beyond recruitment. He is essentially the general manager for the playing side of the business. He's responsible for all of the coaching and playing staff. His job is to decide upon the coaching and playing strategy for all levels of the club from the youth teams to the first team. He's supposed to be the guy recruiting the managers FFS!

I’d like to know if DOFs are talked about so much at other clubs like brands is at everton
Chelsea have exclusively used a DOF since at least when Ancelotti was there very few transfers are done by managers. Same for Man city since Tixi came on board and revamped the youth setup predating Pep. Much of Liverpools success is down to there analytics department I also believe Leicester employ a similar approach.

Only really Manchester United that don't have a proper DOF setup out of the elite clubs

....the Coach will be responsible for team selection and on-field tactics. The DoF and Coach will agree a playing strategy and the ‘types’ of players needed to apply it. They will agree squad weaknesses and gaps, the role of the DoF is to identify the players to fulfil those requirements. I’m sure he’d get the Coach’s views before signing an individual.

The DoF will know the budget and consider value for money. I’m sure the coach also suggests individuals he’d like, it’s up to the DoF to sanction and negotiate the move.

i suspect most Coaches in the modern game prefer to be free from that side of the game. The DoF should be accountable for all transfers under his tenure. Looking at the bigger picture, particularly a real awareness of Academy talent will be a key part of Brands’ role.

Last edited:
....the Coach will be responsible for team selection and on-field tactics. The DoF and Coach will agree a playing strategy and the ‘types’ of players needed to apply it. They will agree squad weaknesses and gaps, the role of the DoF is to identify the players to fulfil those requirements. I’m sure he’d get the Coach’s views before signing an individual.

The DoF will know the budget and consider value for money. I’m sure the coach also suggests individuals he’d like, it’s up to the DoF to sanction and negotiate the move.

i suspect most Coaches in the modern game prefer to be free from that side of the game. The DoF should be accountable for all transfers under his tenure. Looking at the bigger picture, particularly a real awareness of Academy talent will be a key part of Brands’ role.
This is, of course, true (otherwise why would we pay them so much?!). However, the point of a DoF, at least in part, is to recruit a coach that is briefed on and skilled in the style of play that is ingrained at all levels of the club. Otherwise all of the work done from youth teams through to the u23s will be a giant waste of time. It troubles me that Brands seems to be repeatedly sidelined in this important process, it seems clear that he did not pick Silva or Ancelotti.

No, his job goes way beyond recruitment. He is essentially the general manager for the playing side of the business. He's responsible for all of the coaching and playing staff. His job is to decide upon the coaching and playing strategy for all levels of the club from the youth teams to the first team. He's supposed to be the guy recruiting the managers FFS!

Where did that job synopsis come from?

Where did that job synopsis come from?
Everton's CEO.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...rton-appoint-marcel-brands-clubs-15647456.amp

Chief executive Denise Barrett-Baxendale said the Director of Football has been given a "broader remit" which makes him responsible for the club's "whole footballing strategy".

“It fills me with great pride to announce the appointment of Marcel to the Everton Board,” Barrett-Baxendale said.

“This appointment further cements the importance and permanence of the position of Director of Football within our structure.”

She added: “Our approach now is to have a Director of Football with a broader remit responsible for the whole footballing strategy at the club rather than just player recruitment.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back