Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you.
We have never signed a player that was ready then to play in a top four team. We signed plenty that went onto be top players as they developed.

I do believe that it was the plan to make such a signing this window... a signature signing that had people thinking that player was too good for us... similar to the appointment of CA as manager.
I think that James may well have been that high profile player but the lockdown in football may have stopped that or it may have helped that because as with everything to do with this pandemic it is all first time around.
Could maybe see a deal similar to when barry came paying a bigger loan fee with price agreed at end of his deal

I didn't say it was horrendous? I said it was concerning, there's quite a big difference. You're right he hasn't signed a player for every position, but the players I was referring to were all left out in favour of players who were already here when he took over, so that's irrelevant.

Some reason I thought you wrote horrendous. Either way got to look at it case-by-case:

Starting XI:

Pickford (Brands doesn't have a signing here really)
Digne (Brands)
Keane (Carlo regularly rotates him and Mina based on oppo so isn't really a black mark there on Brands)
Holgate (Brands has only brought in one centre back)
Sidibe (Brands)
Sigurdsson (Bernard out right this game and Iwobi only just getting back from injury)
Gomes (Brands)
Davies (I'm sure JPG would play if he wasn't injured - not Brands fault)
Bernard (Brands)
Richarlison (Brands)
DCL (Kean is Brands signing but no reason for him to start over DCL)

The reason why we have gone nowhere is because we have been signing the same level of player that we were signing during the Kenwright austerity years.

Some reason I thought you wrote horrendous. Either way got to look at it case-by-case:

Starting XI:

Pickford (Brands doesn't have a signing here really)
Digne (Brands)
Keane (Carlo regularly rotates him and Mina based on oppo so isn't really a black mark there on Brands)
Holgate (Brands has only brought in one centre back)
Sidibe (Brands)
Sigurdsson (Bernard out right this game and Iwobi only just getting back from injury)
Gomes (Brands)
Davies (I'm sure JPG would play if he wasn't injured - not Brands fault)
Bernard (Brands)
Richarlison (Brands)
DCL (Kean is Brands signing but no reason for him to start over DCL)
I did write horrendous, but about the performance not the signings.

Sorry I think you're misunderstanding the point I was making.I was trying to say that we had eight Brands signings available for our last game, but only picked five. That's quite concerning I think, because the squad we had when he came was recognised as not being very good, and yet his signings are struggling to displace the poor performers who were already here. You mention Mina and Keane rotating, it's true, but it's not a great reflection on Mina that he still hasn't forced his way into the side ahead of Keane or Holgate, neither of whom have exactly been flawless. Iwobi has been unable to force his way in despite most fans believing Sigurdsson is the epitome of everything wrong with our recent teams, and I've said before, nobody can honestly say they anticipated us picking two strikers for games this year and Kean not being one of them.

I used the word concerning deliberately. I'm not saying that recent signings will go down as poor, but it isn't a great sign that so few of them have really taken the bull by the horns and become key players; it's not like we were starting from a high base.

Inappropriate Language

Sorry I think you're misunderstanding the point I was making.I was trying to say that we had eight Brands signings available for our last game, but only picked five. That's quite concerning I think, because the squad we had when he came was recognised as not being very good, and yet his signings are struggling to displace the poor performers who were already here. You mention Mina and Keane rotating, it's true, but it's not a great reflection on Mina that he still hasn't forced his way into the side ahead of Keane or Holgate, neither of whom have exactly been flawless. Iwobi has been unable to force his way in despite most fans believing Sigurdsson is the epitome of everything wrong with our recent teams, and I've said before, nobody can honestly say they anticipated us picking two strikers for games this year and Kean not being one of them.

I used the word concerning deliberately. I'm not saying that recent signings will go down as poor, but it isn't a great sign that so few of them have really taken the bull by the horns and become key players; it's not like we were starting from a high base.
I have no idea what presses your buttons but Sigurdsson will come good next year(2021) ,how do you expect 3 out of 3 play in two places al la Kean ,Holgate and Mina I accept Iwobi has not done much .On a side note name me a player who is "flawless" ,I will give you help Messi is sh!t in the air !

I have no idea what presses your buttons but Sigurdsson will come good next year(2021) ,how do you expect 3 out of 3 play in two places al la Kean ,Holgate and Mina I accept Iwobi has not done much .On a side note name me a player who is "flawless" ,I will give you help Messi is sh!t in the air !
I don't even know what point you're trying to make in that utter mess of a post sorry mate. Maybe put the whisky down and try again?

Yeh but I showed with the 5/8 normally it's 6 because Mina starts over Keane (25 to 22), Iwobi just back from injury and Kean - in my eyes - wasn't necessarily bought as a starter.

Yeh but I showed with the 5/8 normally it's 6 because Mina starts over Keane (25 to 22), Iwobi just back from injury and Kean - in my eyes - wasn't necessarily bought as a starter.
Iwobi had been back from injury for well over a month, almost as long as he was out for! He just wasn't picked.

The point is, it's difficult to currently see Mina as a good use of £28m when after nearly two years he hasn't overtaken Keane in the pecking order, and has actually been overtaken himself by Holgate. We're lower in the league than when we signed him, and our defensive record is no better. If we just wanted squad depth we didn't need to pay anything like that sort of fee, so the fact that he isn't an undisputed selection in our best 11 and most of us would be totally neutral if he was sold, is concerning in my eyes.

And you didn't see Kean as a starter? Are you sure about that? The vaults from August don't seem to have got the memo.
Iwobi for him, Kean for DCL next match please.
He’s not our number 9. That’s why we spent nearly £30m on Kean.
Only by number. Kean is our main striker.
Right now? No, I think Kean is first choice once he's ready.

Brands came to everton when we had gone through a period of 3 managers in as many years and a 1st team squad of around 45/50 players and so lopsided with certain positions over others ;-( He said that it was going to be a long term plan to restructure how stuff was done and it had to be done on a method that ensures long term financial stability for the club !

Every one of the signings , no matter how great or not, will have someone complaining of it ;-( eg Richarlison dives like a fanny too much despite all his goals and determination , Gbamin despite freak inhury to soft for league etc Delph/Kean being a idiot on social media, Glyffi not like Messi etc

For once though, there actually seems to be a plan of action on the whole structure of the squad !

Kenny sent on loan to Germany for gametime and development of his game
Gibson, signing new contract, as told of plan to loan him out and draft him into 1st team
Branthewaite, again signed with detailed plan to get into 1st team
Kean,, signed from Juve and top prospect in world football
Sidibe, signed on loan to take look at with option to buy

Naisse with offers for loans and sales he refused ;-(
Tosun sent to Palace with option to buy
Bolasie same with option to buy in loan

Again

Vlasic - sister mouthing off in media, was offered to go on loan but demanded 1st team spot but there was Rooney, Glyffi and Klaasen there for position so sold on for profit with % of next sale
Onyekuru - No work permit possible so sold on for profit

Media reports before Brands were 99% premiership players but so far since rumours started Brazil, Holland, France, Italy ,Argentina etc

Good relationship with Barcelona

Brands himself at last AGM said he was'nt 100% happy with what he got done as always striving to be the best he can!

People moaning and moaning Ancelloti can't work with a DOF but He practically always has and has said he respects and enjoys that way as its how the majority of European clubs work!

Finally there actually seems to be an idea to improve the squad while reducing the amount of players and wages from previously which has been a noose around our neck and hopefully by end of this summer we ll have got the majority of the bloated squad sorted and replaced with younger, hungrier and on less wages than the one now ;-)

This isn't football Manager like some on here think saying fire Brands, sign 12 new players and release the players we have on contracts for free etc!
We need to think like a business not with emotions with players who were/have been great but coming towards end of careers eg Baines/Coleman ! Their mainly back up players on 65/70 thousand a week ;-( Positives you can say they know club, league etc but financially if you had a business would you have a high paid member of staff on payroll who you called on maybe 5 times a year to help or get an apprentice in you can train up ?

Last edited:
Iwobi had been back from injury for well over a month, almost as long as he was out for! He just wasn't picked.

The point is, it's difficult to currently see Mina as a good use of £28m when after nearly two years he hasn't overtaken Keane in the pecking order, and has actually been overtaken himself by Holgate. We're lower in the league than when we signed him, and our defensive record is no better. If we just wanted squad depth we didn't need to pay anything like that sort of fee, so the fact that he isn't an undisputed selection in our best 11 and most of us would be totally neutral if he was sold, is concerning in my eyes.

And you didn't see Kean as a starter? Are you sure about that? The vaults from August don't seem to have got the memo.

But still coming back from injury he'd only played a bit part in a couple of games before the Chelsea match. Mina and Keane to me are swapped based on the striker they're facing which to me isn't a slight on Mina just the sign of a good manager. I concede in August I thought Kean might have been a starter but now I've seen him play I think his fee was just high because of the potential not an instant success story.

But still coming back from injury he'd only played a bit part in a couple of games before the Chelsea match. Mina and Keane to me are swapped based on the striker they're facing which to me isn't a slight on Mina just the sign of a good manager. I concede in August I thought Kean might have been a starter but now I've seen him play I think his fee was just high because of the potential not an instant success story.
They’re pretty flimsy arguments to be honest. There’s nothing to suggest that iwobi having once been injured was behind him not playing in that game. Nothing. Just how bad do you think Mina is exactly, if Keane was better suited to defend in a game that we lost 4-0? What would it have been if Mina had played, 7? 8?

Again, I’m not saying it’s an unmitigated disaster, but when brands came in what we absolutely didn’t need to do was sign more average players, but it kind of looks like we have. They might prove that wrong in time, but at the moment Mina and iwobi don’t appear to have improved on Keane and sigurdsson, and many people at the time would have doubted that was Possible.

Even with Kean, who I do want To give time to, paying best part of £30m for a player who wasn’t meant to start Yet would make a lot more sense If you had ageing players in front of him. As his competition is barely older than him it seems an unnecessary extravagance given there are about half a dozen positions where we need starters never mind back up.

They’re pretty flimsy arguments to be honest. There’s nothing to suggest that iwobi having once been injured was behind him not playing in that game. Nothing. Just how bad do you think Mina is exactly, if Keane was better suited to defend in a game that we lost 4-0? What would it have been if Mina had played, 7? 8?

Again, I’m not saying it’s an unmitigated disaster, but when brands came in what we absolutely didn’t need to do was sign more average players, but it kind of looks like we have. They might prove that wrong in time, but at the moment Mina and iwobi don’t appear to have improved on Keane and sigurdsson, and many people at the time would have doubted that was Possible.

Even with Kean, who I do want To give time to, paying best part of £30m for a player who wasn’t meant to start Yet would make a lot more sense If you had ageing players in front of him. As his competition is barely older than him it seems an unnecessary extravagance given there are about half a dozen positions where we need starters never mind back up.

No but before his injury, albeit under different bosses, Iwobi played every single game after his debut for us.

I never said Mina is bad he just seems to get picked against quicker attackers and Keane against grocks like Giroud.

I'm merely pointing out that from the 8 available Brands players vs Chelsea is more like 7/8 are normally playing which isn't bad for signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back