Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's there to take total control of the footballing side of things. If he cant - for one reason or another - get players shifted to provide the required funds for incoming players then he needs an owner to back his judgment that we require players in to make his and Silva's plans work.

If he isn't insisting on that (and the lack of activity in January maybe indicates he isn't) then he 's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

There should be some form of award on this forum mate for your most outrageous , contrary or wum posts..
You are truly exceptional.
How do you expect him to move on all the dross that are on massively bloated contracts ?

He's there to take total control of the footballing side of things. If he cant - for one reason or another - get players shifted to provide the required funds for incoming players then he needs an owner to back his judgment that we require players in to make his and Silva's plans work.

If he isn't insisting on that (and the lack of activity in January maybe indicates he isn't) then he 's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

What is your definition of "take control of football side of things" though Dave?

Within his remit will be the buying and selling of players, and hopefully the hiring and firing of managers. What you are describing above would only be possible if he was the one bankrolling the club which he obviously isn't.

We will not know this, but I think he was very central to the Silva appointment and also a key figure in us not sacking him when things got a bit tough around January. Moshiri has been rather trigger happy and in truth has never really gone for a manager in the style of Silva. I sense Brands has outlined to him the style that's needed and he has listened. That is being very effective in managing the football side of the club.

There is a limited amount he can do to shift players. He's done ok so far. He hasn't budged as easily on price on some key players which is good. However it's very hard to shift poor players from the PL- as you know the PL pays higher wages than anyone else in Europe so selling abroad is very difficult and to date why would anyone take the rubbish bought by Walsh/Koeman in England from a team who gets around 50 points and for players who can't get into their team? They too will be seeking better value from abroad and it will not be hard to find!

What he has done well though, is pick a coach who can improve players and stuck with him during a challenging moment. Within his control these are two things he can and thus far has done, and they will have an indirect effect in helping us shift players. Silva has improved the majority of the players at his disposal.

However for the reasons outlined above, our selling strategy is really going to have to be heavily based on selling our better players to teams above us. Until we are a regular top 6 team, scoring high 60's (at least) in terms of points people will not come in with any serious money for the rest. People may not like that, but that will be (or ought to be) the strategy.

He and Silva seem to work well together though and unlike many DOF who seem to want to make it all about themselves he seems to both want and value Silva's input which is a commendable side to him. He seems to recognise his job is to support Silva (not the other way as with many DOF out there).

I am more impressed by Brands each day to be honest. He had a good track record in Holland at improving 3 different types of club (real strugglers, AK Alkmaar a rough equivalent of where we are, and a top team but probably at a similar level to us on a European level PSV but where we would like to get too domestically). His youth focussed approach was appreciated.

This was re-enforced by the calm way he operated in the summer and that the players we have signed have to varying degrees shown enormous promise.

I've also been impressed by not just the plan he's outlined (which to me is the right way to go about things) but also how he has been consistent with it. He was quite open that we would not sign anyone in January and he backed that up with actions. That builds trust with supporters which at times has been sorely eroded over recent times.

His latest interview has been very honest and good. As he's said we have only signed players under 26, which is the aim and we acknowledge we will have to move players on. It's a clear strategy outlined very well. Before he arrived I saw no strategy and we certainly didn't get told of any.

The profile of the man is also significant. He can get tough deals done (Bernard was not straightforward and Gomes was a coup). I also think in time Mina will prove his worth. To me he's our most valuable asset and think he will build something here, and if he didn't think he could he wouldn't have come in.

The good news is, with each passing season, it is one less year on the contracts of Ramirez, Niasse, Snides, Mirallas, Martina, Besic, Bolasie. Could we save enough from all of them to get Gomes ? Probably not, that is how worthless those signings were.

Shift Tosun for the deposit on the mortgage for a new striker.

We might as well shift Vlasic and Onyekuru or shift Walcotts wages to get a new Lawnmower.

You keep on about how Brands needs to ship players out but it’s not always down to him - we need to find a buying club, the player then needs to want to go and then there is the agent who will have say on top of that. The point is that a lot of things need to come together for a transfer to happen. From reading your posts in this thread you seem to think that Brands can simple say to a player that he isn’t wanted and he will be gone shortly after. We will no doubt be stuck with some of our high earners late in the window and all we’ll get is a loan as some clubs can’t afford their wages and a transfer fee. However is this better than nothing, and won’t necessarily be Brands fault.
I posted this in answer to a similar point before: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/marcel-brands.102762/page-423

There should be some form of award on this forum mate for your most outrageous , contrary or wum posts..
You are truly exceptional.
How do you expect him to move on all the dross that are on massively bloated contracts ?
What's controversial or "WUMing" about saying that this feller still has to prove his worth, and that he needs to perform for Silva to also be able to perform?

Nothing whatsoever.

As said, I have NO time for the cult of the individual. He;s a hired hand who will be judged on how well he serves the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back