Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think its regarded that they do pay small base wages, but they will still have to declare their wage bill for their accounts, they cant have another section for bonuses. Unless they are paying the bonuses off the books, which is VERY illegal and unlikely.

I’m still highly skeptical we’re that close to overtaking them. They have a lot more high profile players than we do even if we do overpay some of ours.

I’m still highly skeptical we’re that close to overtaking them. They have a lot more high profile players than we do even if we do overpay some of ours.

They have a much smaller squad than us, much smaller.

I dont think we will overtake them, not if Brands can get our numbers down.

They have a much smaller squad than us, much smaller.

I dont think we will overtake them, not if Brands can get our numbers down.
Think it just shows that we need get rid of ALOT of players. I suspect Brands knew that before taking the job.

How this was allowed to happen is beyond me.

I suspect we will see more of a "sell to buy" approach but probably not in the same way outlined by Dave (or the one we saw under Moyes) who never truly bought into the concept.

Moshiri is an investor and clearly he wants to have a return on what he invests. The best return on investment, if footballers are to be viewed as assets is to buy young, develop and move them on at a bigger cost. There is also better value buying from abroad

I don't foresee any difficulties in money being made available, but it needs to be for players that will ultimately gain value.

We have had problems in implementing this since Moshiri has arrived. Firstly we had a weak DOF and a manager who did pretty much the opposite of this by buying several domestic players at ages where they were unlikely to gain much value (Schneiderlin, Gueye, Williams, Bolasie, Martina, Walcott, Sigurdsson). They've not all been terrible but it was an opposite strategy to what was outlined. I wonder if Moshiri wasn't clear enough in outlining it to Koeman, Koeman paid lip service to it and once here refused to go along with it, or whether Moshiri had hoped a DOF would set that direction so he didn't need too.

Either way it was chaotic and I think it was made clear there would be no more of that.

The 2nd problem, allied to this was Koeman didn't prove particularly willing (or even capable) of developing young players. While results haven't been great, the players have undoubtedly improved under Silva and he seems to accept and enjoy this side of the job. We now also have the stability in both the coach, the DOF and the relationship between the two to have the right conditions to both attract and develop younger players.

The necessary end will be that some are sold. Most clubs in our situation (Outside the top 10 of Europe but generally in the top 50) operate on this basis. They develop players and look to sell to the top 10 (our top 5, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG & Bayern). Dortmund do it, Monaco do it, Leipzig do it, Lyon do it etc. They are quite open about it. Ajax and PSV do it as well. That Ajax team will be broken up, but for a huge profit which can be re-invested.

The next stage of the evolution will be selling players, in all likelihood at good profits to help reinvest. Whether we like it or not that will be the plan. I do think there is now a plan to be the best though and it's worthwhile being on board with it.

All very true. I would just add the following....buying younger talent with a view to selling on at a profit is a simple strategy. The tricky bit comes if the team is successful and breaking up the team even gradually, would be wrong, just for the sake of the strategy. The point at which you intend selling any player becomes critical. Leave it too long and there is no value (lets call that The Mirallas Syndrome) Sell too soon and you lose value on the pitch, because a replacement is needed,and replacements don't always come through your system. Most of them are more Pendleton than DCL or Davies.

So depressing.

That underlines how 'kin barmy the Moshiri plan has been since arriving. The wages of the successful clubs (leaving Spurs out of it) are between 100% and 200% greater than the wages we can pay. Wages are a much better guide to player on-field value than any fee paid for them...but Moshiri allowed Koem,ageddon to smash club transfer record after club transfer record to barley decent plkayers and handed them a sizable wage...the worsdt of all worlds.

Brands must look at Moshiri and think what 'kin divvy he's ben employed by.

I would just add the following....buying younger talent with a view to selling on at a profit is a simple strategy. The tricky bit comes if the team is successful and breaking up the team even gradually, would be wrong, just for the sake of the strategy. The point at which you intend selling any player becomes critical. Leave it too long and there is no value (lets call that The Mirallas Syndrome) Sell too soon and you lose value on the pitch, because a replacement is needed,and replacements don't always come through your system. Most of them are more Pendleton than DCL or Davies.
The strategy is simple but the execution of it is extremely difficult.

Identifying a young, talented, potentially very good, reasonably-priced player is not easy to do in practice.

Developing said player into a top PL player over the course of 2/3/whatever years, so he's worth 5-10 times what is paid for him is even more difficult.

It doesn't happen THAT often. For every Rooney, Coutinho, Hudson-Odoi, they are hundreds of young players who end up in the wilderness.

Top scouts are needed to identify these players that lots of other (bigger clubs) scouts are looking at, top coaches to develop these players, top manager to know how/when to play the player in the 1st team, etc.

So just aiming to have a "buy low, sell high" strategy is all well and good, but actually doing it successfully is another thing altogether. Great strategy if you can get it work with some success though.

Ok, the criteria is 18-26, top 6, doesnt play every week, im not gonna check how often these players play, cos lazy :

City - Foden, Zinchenko, Muric, Sandler
Vermin - No
Arse - Maitland-Niles, Iwobi, Guendouzi
Spurs - Winks, Walker- Peters, Foyth, JANSSEN
United - Martial, Rashford, Pereira, Dalot, Mctominay, Fosu-Mensah
Chelsea - Zoooooooms, Barkley, RLC, Hudson-Odoi, Christensen, Ampadu, plus any of the 40 players they have out on loan

Hmmmmmm.
I'd love a sneaky bid for Ampadu but Chelsea would never sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back