Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can clearly see the difference in how Brands operated when it came to signing players from Europe to players over here -

The ones over here like Docoure, Iwobi, Zaha and Zouma/Rojo/Smalling he left it late imo purposely to try get them at a cheaper rate and avoid the PL player tax as I like to call it.

Problem with that is he missed 3 out of 4 of them and only just got Iwobi at the death.

I hope he isn't stubborn and reflects on this window and how he needs to change tactic in future if he wishes to buy from a fellow PL club -

Offer the money what they want

Or

Start negotiations early enough to move on to other targets

Otherwise we'll continue to stumble in future windows.
I think it just reflects how difficult it is to buy players from other Premier League Clubs. I think it's best avoided to be honest, as the TV money means the clubs are under no pressure to sell. Buying players from PL clubs that have just been relegated, or where 1 player is an absolute standout (I suppose Zaha might come into that category) maybe worth the hassle, but other than that I would look abroad, or to our youth system.

You signed this mate.

completely of topic, but this is why I will never get our country. Rap in America came from an entire section of their population being well and truly screwed over (the projects and being fed drugs). In the UK, these little scrotes have engineered their environment to fit their little fantasy of being Billy big bollocks and glorifying what most African Americans are desperate to escape.

You can clearly see the difference in how Brands operated when it came to signing players from Europe to players over here -

The ones over here like Docoure, Iwobi, Zaha and Zouma/Rojo/Smalling he left it late imo purposely to try get them at a cheaper rate and avoid the PL player tax as I like to call it.

Problem with that is he missed 3 out of 4 of them and only just got Iwobi at the death.

I hope he isn't stubborn and reflects on this window and how he needs to change tactic in future if he wishes to buy from a fellow PL club -

Offer the money what they want

Or

Start negotiations early enough to move on to other targets

Otherwise we'll continue to stumble in future windows.
I think it just reflects how difficult it is to buy players from other Premier League Clubs. I think it's best avoided to be honest, as the TV money means the clubs are under no pressure to sell. Buying players from PL clubs that have just been relegated, or where 1 player is an absolute standout (I suppose Zaha might come into that category) maybe worth the hassle, but other than that I would look abroad, or to our youth system.
Good points. And they underline just how much Brands has to learn about his job, this club and the league he's operating in.

Silva basically saying we're not stronger in his press conference there but we're not allowed to agree with him without being called bed wetters. You have to laugh.

I'll wait and see how we look on the field after 10 games or so when we can start to see what the new players bring to the team. What's the point of starting the season off already believing everything is terrible?

It wasn't my hypothetical scenario, it was the poster I was replying to who imagined it. I was simply saying that even if his 'completely unsubstantiated fiction' turned out to be true, it wouldn't be down to bad luck, because it wouldn't.

Yeah I was referring to the whole chain.

Agree it's not about 'luck'. But there is a logical economic outcome of a club taking a careful, prudent approach and it's often overlooked by fans: a club prepares as well as it can but the market wasn't right. That is, the selling club's valuation is above the buying club's valuation so no trade happens for a given level of quality. That is a defining feature of the market for centre halves this summer.

Which is fine but I think you need to develop a sixth sense as to when to walk away and look somewhere else.

We stared far too long at Zouma when it was apparent he wasn't coming several weeks ago.

Without knowing the ins and outs of transfer business everything is an assumption. We may have been trying to negotiate other deals which didn’t come to fruition, we may not have.

What I do know is Steve Walsh massively overpaid on UK trash and we’re still trying to repair the damage now.

I’m thankful Brands refused to pay £100m+ (Probably close to £175m with wages) on 2 slightly better than average premier league players

I'll wait and see how we look on the field after 10 games or so when we can start to see what the new players bring to the team. What's the point of starting the season off already believing everything is terrible?
I don't believe everything is terrible (although even if I did i'm not sure what difference it would make to our results?). I'm just commenting on an Everton forum about our squad and transfer dealings. I'm perfectly happy to read people's thoughts on why the summer has been a positive. I agree with some of them, and some people have said things that I wouldn't have considered, and made me change my viewpoint on things.

What I don't like is the blind optimists, who shout down any criticism and say everything is wonderful, and anything that went wrong was completely out of our control, and will probably turn out for the best anyway. They're every bit as bad as the people saying everything is awful and we'll be lucky to finish 15th and everyone involved in the club is a disgrace. I think i'm seeing it in a fairly balanced way, I believe the signing of Kean is a massive positive, I was one of the few who initially said Delph would be a good signing (although I have noticed that a lot of people who laughed at the idea of Brands signing him are now saying he's a great signing, which kind of sums up my point) and i'm excited to see what Gbamin can bring. I think the lack of a centre half is a big problem, and i'm not sure we quite solved our problems in an attacking sense. The window was Ok, but i'm not sure we came out of it any stronger than we went in, which is disappointing.

I don't believe everything is terrible (although even if I did i'm not sure what difference it would make to our results?). I'm just commenting on an Everton forum about our squad and transfer dealings. I'm perfectly happy to read people's thoughts on why the summer has been a positive. I agree with some of them, and some people have said things that I wouldn't have considered, and made me change my viewpoint on things. What I don't like is the blind optimists, who shout down any criticism and say everything is wonderful, and anything that went wrong was completely out of our control, and will probably turn out for the best anyway. They're every bit as bad as the people saying everything is awful and we'll be lucky to finish 15th and everyone involved in the club is a disgrace. I think i'm seeing it in a fairly balanced way, I believe the signing of Kean is a massive positive, I was one of the few who initially said Delph would be a good signing (although I have noticed that a lot of people who laughed at the idea of Brands signing him are now saying he's a great signing, which kind of sums up my point) and i'm excited to see what Gbamin can bring. I think the lack of a centre half is a big problem, and i'm not sure we quite solved our problems in an attacking sense. The window was Ok, but i'm not sure we came out of it any stronger than we went in, which is disappointing.

It was more a general question. But apologies if it felt pointed.

As one of the ones who changed my opinion on Delph... My initial reaction is the emotional one of taking a player who doesn't play a lot in a top team who's knocking on 30. Having thought about it and watched more of him with my Everton head on over a few days, I had a more sober analysis of what he offered to the team.

I do believe we're stronger in every area except center back than we were going into the window, I'm happy enough to cross my fingers on that position until January and hope we bring in reinforcements then. I'm happy we didn't run around throwing money at the wrong solutions eg Rojo on loan would have done me fine, a two year deal not so much.

Yeah I was referring to the whole chain.

Agree it's not about 'luck'. But there is a logical economic outcome of a club taking a careful, prudent approach and it's often overlooked by fans: a club prepares as well as it can but the market wasn't right. That is, the selling club's valuation is above the buying club's valuation so no trade happens for a given level of quality. That is a defining feature of the market for centre halves this summer.
Yes, I understand that and it's a very fair point.

I don't think Brands is a failure or a fraud or whatever. But I also don't think he's the messiah, and it concerns me that we're going to go down the route of blindly believing everything he does is great and anyone who questions things is some sort of traitor. I'm not attempting to convince people Brands is rubbish, but I am kind of railing against the idea of chalking our successes down as masterstrokes and our failures down as outside of his control, just because it annoys me.

I don't believe everything is terrible (although even if I did i'm not sure what difference it would make to our results?). I'm just commenting on an Everton forum about our squad and transfer dealings. I'm perfectly happy to read people's thoughts on why the summer has been a positive. I agree with some of them, and some people have said things that I wouldn't have considered, and made me change my viewpoint on things.

What I don't like is the blind optimists, who shout down any criticism and say everything is wonderful, and anything that went wrong was completely out of our control, and will probably turn out for the best anyway. They're every bit as bad as the people saying everything is awful and we'll be lucky to finish 15th and everyone involved in the club is a disgrace. I think i'm seeing it in a fairly balanced way, I believe the signing of Kean is a massive positive, I was one of the few who initially said Delph would be a good signing (although I have noticed that a lot of people who laughed at the idea of Brands signing him are now saying he's a great signing, which kind of sums up my point) and i'm excited to see what Gbamin can bring. I think the lack of a centre half is a big problem, and i'm not sure we quite solved our problems in an attacking sense. The window was Ok, but i'm not sure we came out of it any stronger than we went in, which is disappointing.
Good posts Jimmy. You give clear reasoning to your thoughts and intelligently point out that many of the signings may prove good or could prove poor. And that existing players may improve or go backwards,

To give any criticism to the team or management (unless we have just lost 2 games 3-0) on this forum is seen as some sort of heresay.

Stuff like `right its time Holgate stepped up, he is first change at centre half'. `Hes never done anything wrong, still improving'.
This is horrifyingly naive stuff. The lad was bang average in the championship last year (thats why no one at that level wanted to pay a few million for him) and was exposed massively at prem level the year before.

Looks like Silva is downbeat at the press conference today. Thats all you need to know, He knows if Gbamin isnt another Gueye our centre defence will be smashed to bits by the top 10 teams and we will lose points against the bottom 10 and he will probably lose his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back