Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
`Holgate will likely get better' - on what basis, he was average in the championship.
`Mina dominated in the World Cup' - bizarre statement. He scored a couple of goals from corners.
`Dominic Calvert Lewin will start the season, the lad who dominated some of the leagues leading defences at the back end of the season' - good grief, he has never shown anything to suggest he will ever be a regular top 8 prem striker with decent strike rate.
`We can't sign players who are good enough for the top 6 currently, they won't come' - just utter nonsense. Weve bought Awobi/Richarlison/Kean - we just need a lot more like them.

We got crazy lucky to have a great manager at the time in the 80's and bought excellent players who were all leaders. That = success.
But the culture of the club and supporters helped and allowed that to happen. That led to a culture within that
dressing room similar to United under Ferguson and for so many times at the kopites.
We need that culture back. Accepting responsibility, expecting success.
Just look at Silva in the press conference today. If I was one of his players I would be laughing.
He seems resigned to his fate, talking up players that have left more than the ones here.
<stands up and applauds>

Had a very good window. Disappointed to not get some cover for CB but I wont lambaste the man for it. It's clear we tried in that area with Zouma, Tomori and even Rojo to cover on loan in the short term.

But there is no use rushing to spunk money up the wall on an average CB just coz. I don't even think Zouma is a good value purchase, Chelsea would have tried to milk us dry for him knowing we was desperate. Let's not forget that Zouma is nothing more than a GOOD defender, with a premier league premium attached no doubt.

Mina we spent big money on and if we signed Zouma, it would be all too easy to stick with the Keane and Zouma combo. When in reality Mina needs game time to build his own bond and playing relationship with the back 4. He has great potential so I'm glad he now has the time to be in the team and show it. In the team of the tournament for Colombia at Copa.

I'd rather Brands and Silva took a bit more time identifying the right target, ship some more deadwood and wages out. And spend a little more on a quality purchase that can add to this younger core we are building.

Just hope Holgate or Gibson can step up and be counted on if required. One of these youngsters needs to show the drive and determination in this league anyway. Only way is to play your way into the managers thoughts.

Had a very good window. Disappointed to not get some cover for CB but I wont lambaste the man for it. It's clear we tried in that area with Zouma, Tomori and even Rojo to cover on loan in the short term.

But there is no use rushing to spunk money up the wall on an average CB just coz. I don't even think Zouma is a good value purchase, Chelsea would have tried to milk us dry for him knowing we was desperate. Let's not forget that Zouma is nothing more than a GOOD defender, with a premier league premium attached no doubt.

Mina we spent big money on and if we signed Zouma, it would be all too easy to stick with the Keane and Zouma combo. When in reality Mina needs game time to build his own bond and playing relationship with the back 4. He has great potential so I'm glad he now has the time to be in the team and show it. In the team of the tournament for Colombia at Copa.

I'd rather Brands and Silva took a bit more time identifying the right target, ship some more deadwood and wages out. And spend a little more on a quality purchase that can add to this younger core we are building.

Just hope Holgate or Gibson can step up and be counted on if required. One of these youngsters needs to show the drive and determination in this league anyway. Only way is to play your way into the managers thoughts.
No, save that stunt for Iwobi.

£30M on a player we got because Zaha couldn't be released.

And the CB situation didn't require cover, it needed a dominant figure and starter.

Just look at Silva in the press conference today. If I was one of his players I would be laughing.
He seems resigned to his fate, talking up players that have left more than the ones here.

Surely an Evertonian would say ' If I was one of our players ' ?

No, save that stunt for Iwobi.

£30M on a player we got because Zaha couldn't be released.

And the CB situation didn't require cover, it needed a dominant figure and starter.

Nonsense. 30m for a home-grown, exciting, 23 year old with great potential.

Who got plenty of playing time for Arsenal, a team that missed 4th spot by like 1 point, Iwobi himself deployed as a game changer on many occasions by the manager.

P.s let the lad kick a ball for us mate, before you write him off with your usual negativity.

You had a hard on for Zaha and you are still crying because that one didn't come off

I'm afraid I'm going to have to correct some of the above as it's simply untrue. Holgate was considered one of the leading defenders in the championship last season. He is 21 and it's logical he gets better, especially off the back of a positive loan.

I don't know what games you were watching last season if thats your take on Calvert Lewin. I watched him against two sides who got to the Europa League Final, the 3rd, 5th and 6th best sides in the league and he dominated each of them. In fact I would not have swapped their strikers for him on any of those days. One of those strikers has just been sold for 70+ million. Go back and watch the game against United, and objectively view which striker you would rather have out of Lukaku of DCL. So I'm astounded your view is he isn't a top 8 striker on the back of that. It's a baffling conclusion.

Kean is a wonderful signing, but he is 19. As you have said there is an element of risk to it. Iwobi is a fringe player and Richarlinson we got because our manager was close to him and he ended the season badly. Yes we need more signings like them, but at the time of signing them nobody in the top 6 wanted them.

In the 80's we matched a good young squad with a manager who could improve players. We are trying to do that now. Any notion of fan culture that made an impact (I suspect this is overplayed) would not have been to disingenuously put out the sort of statements you have that don't stand up to any scrutiny. That culture is is not going to help any business or football club grow. An honest assessment, of positives and negatives is what is required.
Fair enough mate,
You make your arguments unlike plenty on here.
I just disagree with most of them.
If Holgate was impressive we would have sold him for 8/10 mill - no one wanted him for that money.
One look at DCL's goalscoring record tells you what level he will be playing at in a season or two.

I think the only person to mention "blind optimism" was me, and at no point did I claim that it was the opposite of constant negativity. I was commenting that there are some people (not all) who are being blindly optimistic, ignoring all evidence of issues and just insisting it will all be fine without offering any reasoning or validation. So yes, it is a false dichotomy, there are people in the middle. Like me.

i wasnt singling you out mate just a phrase that caught my eye, i think we all know who the offenders are

i do honestly think there is cause for optimism

Nonsense. 30m for a home-grown, exciting, 23 year old with great potential.

Who got plenty of playing time for Arsenal, a team that missed 4th spot by like 1 point, Iwobi himself deployed as a game changer on many occasions by the manager.

P.s let the lad kick a ball for us mate, before you write him off with your usual negativity.

You had a hard on for Zaha and you are still crying because that one didn't come off
He was given plenty of game time, as you say. Four seasons and 10 goals says it all. We sold a better wide player and got just £22M for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back