Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how get that Iwobi and Delph cant play in either a 433 or 451. What formations would you say they can play in?

Okay, sorry the team is built around 19-21 year olds but we are signing players who should be 'entering' the prime of their careers.
I didn't mention Iwobi and Delph? You said we were transforming the squad into one that's comfortable in a couple of different formations, but we haven't have we? I wasn't doing a detailed tactical analysis, I just mean they don't really look very good in any formation.

I get what you mean about ages but i've said before, I think our approach is a bit muddled in that regard. Have we been trying to build for the future or get better in the short term? I don't think it's clear from the signings we've made. If the majority of signings had been under 23 then there's a clear suggestion that you're aiming to build, but when you're bringing in loans and the likes of Delph it suggests you're trying to improve in the short term. It seems to me like we've got caught in a bit of no mans land where we haven't really done either, and have ended up just spending a load of money to tread water.

Clearout begins. Dowell sold to Norwich for an undisclosed fee and a FFP win.
Glad to see us getting fees for the kind of young player who would previously have slipped out aged 24 for nothing.

He is mate , and a really prolific one for Lazio.
However he is about 30 and wasn't exactly a success abroad previously in Germany and Spain. A gamble in my view.
His age doesn't concern me, even with his record and experience in Italy alone he'd score goals in the Prem, of that I have no doubt. It's the fee which would be the major sticking point.

Clearout begins. Dowell sold to Norwich for an undisclosed fee and a FFP win.
Glad to see us getting fees for the kind of young player who would previously have slipped out aged 24 for nothing.
Undisclosed fee probably being about £1m so negligible regarding FFP.

Agree it's better to ship him out though.

I understand the whole Brands argument because we want instant success and no f ups but we have to be realistic.

Since Brands arrived, he has had to deal with over 70 deals in and out which in two years plus 2 managers is ridiculous. This is a huge factor in why we are so far behind our targets but he is also to blame for identifying targets and not filling them i.e. centre back, defensive midfielder and right wing.

I would say most of his transfer have been ok apart from Digne and Richarlison. Financially we are still overspending but with a manager like Moyes still fresh in the fanbase who worked in a complete different set of rules and found Artetas, Cahill and such, to paint Brands with the same brush is a tad unfair especially after the Boom-Walsh-Bust period.

It's another big summer but with a world class manager we can look forward to a much better season.

Important to remember he’s still only been here 2 years. Everyone who has worked with him in the past said “give him time”.

So that’s what we need to do. Like it or not he’s going nowhere.
People like to say “it’s gonna take 2 seasons to fix this squad” without actually being prepared that things may get worse before they get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back