2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has done well in a lot of areas of the job. I'm also happy with his negotiation skills by and large.

However, our squad at the moment is very imbalanced and that, after 3 years, is as much on him as it is anybody else.

There's no excuse for that bench yesterday. And with four players leaving in the forward areas (Tosun, Bernard, Walcott, Kean) who have all been first teamers over the last year and a hafl, then we need a player to come in.

It's also part of his job to find players and do deals that suit the club. It needs to happen, because we cannot get Europe this season if we can't beat the likes of Newcastle at home.

The result yesterday was totally unacceptable butI claim the players on the pitch for that! On paper, we should have beaten them but in reality that was down to the players and to a degree Ancelloti for rotating Goddfrey/Holgate and yesterday Digne loked rusty:tired after just back from injury and Coleman was coleman, living on past history :-(

The bench yesterday has been affected by various injuries,the 2 keepers thing, as said last year by Brands/Ancelloti is to give squad day experience to the young keeper/3rd choice Keeper, Walcott was crap when he was with us and majority of fans wanted rid, Tosun has been bit part since Fat Sam left and injury, Kean had issues so to play nice they loaned him out to PSG and apparently Bernard was off sorting move away? I agree its not great and maybe they thought Gordon would cover the 3 forward areas ? There was defence and Midfield cover too even if 4th or 5th choice!

We would all like to have a better bench options but if the necessity of short term financial cover is important, I can see why the options are'nt there

We will all have different opinions and ideas on the team and squad etc and the whole squad is imbalanced to a degree but its a lot leaner and less cost expensive than under Mertinez/Koeman/Fat Sam!

Hopefully we will see some reinforcements in next few days but if needs beI d rather go with what we have and hope it"ll see us through as its individual mistakes that are costing us most this season and you would hope that theseare highlighted to clear out in next window during summer

The result yesterday was totally unacceptable butI claim the players on the pitch for that! On paper, we should have beaten them but in reality that was down to the players and to a degree Ancelloti for rotating Goddfrey/Holgate and yesterday Digne loked rusty:tired after just back from injury and Coleman was coleman, living on past history :-(

The bench yesterday has been affected by various injuries,the 2 keepers thing, as said last year by Brands/Ancelloti is to give squad day experience to the young keeper/3rd choice Keeper, Walcott was crap when he was with us and majority of fans wanted rid, Tosun has been bit part since Fat Sam left and injury, Kean had issues so to play nice they loaned him out to PSG and apparently Bernard was off sorting move away? I agree its not great and maybe they thought Gordon would cover the 3 forward areas ? There was defence and Midfield cover too even if 4th or 5th choice!

We would all like to have a better bench options but if the necessity of short term financial cover is important, I can see why the options are'nt there

We will all have different opinions and ideas on the team and squad etc and the whole squad is imbalanced to a degree but its a lot leaner and less cost expensive than under Mertinez/Koeman/Fat Sam!

Hopefully we will see some reinforcements in next few days but if needs beI d rather go with what we have and hope it"ll see us through as its individual mistakes that are costing us most this season and you would hope that theseare highlighted to clear out in next window during summer

I fully agree that neither the players or Carlo did themselves any favours yesterday. But we literally have zero impact from the bench. We have had 2 assists from subs and 0 goals all season in the league. We have a load of one-paced CMs and only two actual out and out attackers, one of whom is our first-choice left winger.

It's not good enough. That's on Brands.

We have such an opportunity this season but his failure to act will cost us if there isn't someone brought in in the next few days.

It shouldn't be a 'panic' buy. It should be a player we have scouted and targetted, because that's what good clubs do.

Boss, let's get that statue built. lol

No, in all seriousness, fine, there's a lot of sense in parts of what you say. But I think you view it through a prism of natural belief in him due to the way he portrays himself.

I personally see him as the guy who panic bought Iwobi for £30m (in the summer by the way after fruitlessly chasing Zaha for months on end), has refused to use the January window which consists of half of his recruitment job, and is responsible for that bench we had yesterday.

I no longer trust him, and I'd prefer to be rid of him. You can think he's decent if you want. That's fine. But most of what you describe - such as "restructuring the academy" - may be true, but it doesn't mean they've been improved (John Stones was scouted long before Brands, as was Coleman etc. etc.) For me, the measuring stick for his tangible success or failure is on the field, and barring Ancelotti working miracles with what he has, his failure would be even more apparent in my view.

Its good to have different opinions on him and I m not saying he was 100% perfect at what his done but he has made improvements in the scouting and recruitment areas, we have expanded our profile internationally due to marketing link ups etc which as DOF, you would presume he was involved with the football side of linking up with the clubs in Australia, USA etc as their like options for us to get foreign academy kids?

Zaha was a whole media fenzy thing and was too costly so don't think Iwobi was huge panic buy :-( The cost is average nowadays and his experience at a "top" english club and this season has done ok! Its 50/50 on him at moment but his something to offer

The bench yesterday was for many reasons including injuries etc and the factBrands/Ancelloti said having a young keeper was great for their development being in match day squad and with 9 subs , its easier to do! We can agree to disagree on loans he sent out but if the finances are rocky, we may not have many other options available than whats gone as yesterday we'd 3 defenders, 2 midfielders, and Gordan to cover the 3 forward spots? Its not pretty when you see Citys, Utd or Chelseas but we're a few years before we can have luxury of having lads on 80,000 a week as back up on bench

We ve brought in Nkounkou, Jagne , Branthwaite and Kristensen etc who were unknowns like Stones/Coleman and we dont always use January window so unless good options come up whyis there a need? We've still 2 days so hopefully we may see something happen ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.