2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't anybody want 9-goal Wilfried Zaha?

It's not an unreasonable expectation for us to be looking at a player of that quality. Whether it's realistic is a different matter altogether.

The time to sign Zaha was 2 summers ago. Instead we panicked and signed Iwobi. For me that ship sailed long ago.

There is no guarantee you get long out of Zaha at the top level. If you sign him in the summer he'd br 34 after a 4 year deal and would probably cost over 50m. If his pace starts to go, and thats possible for any 30 year old player, then you have a player very much on the decline.

Villa signed Martinez and Cash for what £36 million combined?

Saints signed Ings for £20 million

Digne aside he's overspent on every signing - even Walsh signed a bargain in Gana.

We haven't properly recruited players since the days of Moyes. Brands largely has just targetted cast offs from big clubs and sadly many of them lack pace which is what we desperately needed following the crap Walsh left us with.
Richarlison, Mina, Allan, Doucoure, James, Godfrey. Or most of them were Carlo’s signings?

It's tricky but it's not like we're going for a player to help us stay up or just come to a mid-table team.

We're genuinely in a push for the Champions League.

We've got a brilliant manager - with certain flaws but haven't they all - and are an attractive proposition to play with players like James, DCL, Digne and Richarlison. We can also pay good wages. We're basically an easier sell right now to a player than we ever have been in the PL era.

So it's about doing deals with clubs. That's what a good DoF does. Show our intent.

I'm losing patience mate, really am. The squad is in a sorry state just when it needs to be better. One player changes that. It should have been done in October but if we're getting 4 players at least partially off the books with two of them bringing fees in, it has to be done. Even if kenny doesn't go, we should be bringing an attacker in, as that's 4 attackers let go over the course of the last two windows, with Kean's 70k wages getting paid in full by PSG, Tosun's approx 100k getting paid by Besiktas, Walcott's 120k getting half-paid by S'ton and Bernard off the books completely.

Do agree

Digne aside he's overspent on every signing - even Walsh signed a bargain in Gana.

Seems way harsh. If there was an overpay this summer, it was Allan. PSG was trying to get a deal done at twice the price twelve months prior, so I don't think it was an overpay.

But I see what you're getting at re: 2018 summer and 2019 summer. We arguably overpaid for Richarlison, probably overpaid for Mina, and had a poor window in 2019.

The same Zaha who's scored more than Richarlison and Iwobi combined in the league this season (9) and isnt far off DCL in fairness.

Yes I still want him 100%

Why wouldn't anybody want 9-goal Wilfried Zaha?

It's not an unreasonable expectation for us to be looking at a player of that quality. Whether it's realistic is a different matter altogether.
Genuinely reads like parody, both of these posts..

The time to sign Zaha was 2 summers ago. Instead we panicked and signed Iwobi. For me that ship sailed long ago.

There is no guarantee you get long out of Zaha at the top level. If you sign him in the summer he'd br 34 after a 4 year deal and would probably cost over 50m. If his pace starts to go, and thats possible for any 30 year old player, then you have a player very much on the decline.

Yeah I agree. I just don't find the opinion that he improves us laughable.

I think @ForeverBlue92 says some daft things at times ( ;) ) but wanting us to sign one of the league's best attackers outside of the big six sides isn't really one of them.

Genuinely reads like parody, both of these posts..

Explain why.

I've come up with a reasoned argument for why it is perfectly reasonable to think a player like Zaha would elevate our attack.

I understand the reasons why it is probably not realistic for it to happen.

I also understand that our DoF spent a month chasing him in 2019 before spending £28m on Iwobi who has scored two league goals and, IIRC, two created league assists, in the last 1.5 seasons.

And for the record, I don't mind Iwobi, but £28m...

If he leaves us with no back-up striker and any new attacking option before Tuesday he will probably leave in May.

Maybe we can’t afford to spend ££ currently in this pandemic. Maybe we need to sell first due to that. Why do people think, that clubs want our rejects? Every club is in the same boat currently with finances. So it’s not that easy to sell players, let alone crap ones at that. And maybe players aren’t available that we’d like. We’ve been in positions far to often over the years, where we’ve just signed anyone for signing sake. Maybe we’ve learnt our lessons. Sir Alex Ferguson, was never one for January transfers. It’s not an easy window. But our fans seems to think it’s as easy as football manager and alike.

I was never actually massively keen on Zaha, and I'm still not in truth, but the fact he's playing so well as a striker should give confidence to people. He's always been a poor mans Christiano Ronaldo, who is still a useful striker at 35. I sense Zaha would be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.