2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps he is content to continue to rest on his laurels whilst picking up a millionaires salary, like many of the squad members he is unable to shift.

I don't buy the idea he is being blocked from doing his job, it's more credible in the light of three years of evidence that he just isn't very good at it.

He doesn't rock the boat, and he is a director, so he fits the bill very nicely at Everton, most unfortunately.

….yep, that’s my thinking. Seems to me Moshiri & Benitez are doing their own thing, Brands isn’t getting his own deals endorsed. It means the players we blame him for are probably nothing to do with him, but his remit as a DoF is very weak and he seems happy to keep the status quo.
The thing for me is if... if Moshiri and Benitez are sidestepping Brands then as DoF he could in turn suggest that they deal with the disposal of the overpaid, not required 'deadwood'.

And having done that, he should set about straightening out the academy to dramatically improve the training to get more from the younger players. We need to develop far more players to make the step up to the first team and/or command transfer fees if their path to the first team doesn't work out.

To me, a DoF is about defining a uniform style and pattern of play for all levels of the club to adopt and perfect. It would probably put the DoF at odds with Rhino but, that should be a challenge he should take on gleefully as Rhino is failing in not (enough) producing players to step up to the first team.

The DOF should, by definition, set the club’s direction on club matters. He should have the final say on all signings, managerial and coaching appointments and ensure that the club have a structure in place which transcends any managerial changes.

I think it’s a very good system, used the right way, but, if the club are appointing managers who insist on dictating signings, then it can’t work successfully.

Ideally we should have a strong DOF, I fear that our current one does not fit the bill, we should have a first team coach, who does exactly that, coaches the players that the club sign. It is also reasonable to assume that the DOF ensures there is a fully integrated system, which encompasses the whole playing set up, from the academy through to the first team.

Is this a good system? In my opinion yes it is. Is it a system that can work with our current manager and our current DOF? No I don’t think so. As a footnote, the teams owner needs to keep his nose out of football matters as well for the system to work.

The fact we start the season tomorrow with Coleman as first choice RB shows how terrible he is at his job, I like Coleman, one of the best bargain buys in football, top guy and top pro it’s not his fault injuries and age have caught up on him, previously he was one of the best right backs in the league. The last memories we have of him as a player shouldn’t be he wasn’t young enough or good enough anymore and it made the team worse due him being our starting RB but rather seen as a good backup to have and a leader in the dressing room the same way Baines was before he retired. But he’s not, and he’s not because brands is just awful at his job, can’t blame the fact we can’t spend money now on it because he’s had multiple transfer windows to sort this when we have had money and he didn’t.

When was the last time he addressed the fans. He never gives any information on our plans.

I cant understand why he leaves our business until the end of the window every year. Its something that only disorganised and skint clubs do. He's had an absolute fortune to spend and still managed to sign a load of rubbish.

We can still salvage the window, but it won't happen unless we have a change in who leads our recruitment.

Get him out, get the guy from Norwich or Brentford in. Let’s have some (any) kind of long term strategy in place.

Dan Ashworth at Brighton. Should have gone for him and Potter instead of Benitez and Brands.

The thing is, it looks like @Eggs has said, Brands has not actually been working as a DOF -- at least what a DOF is everywhere else.

Would love to see his Strategy if there is one.
1260722850-strategy-homer-simpson-motivational-poster.png

The thing for me is if... if Moshiri and Benitez are sidestepping Brands then as DoF he could in turn suggest that they deal with the disposal of the overpaid, not required 'deadwood'.

And having done that, he should set about straightening out the academy to dramatically improve the training to get more from the younger players. We need to develop far more players to make the step up to the first team and/or command transfer fees if their path to the first team doesn't work out.

To me, a DoF is about defining a uniform style and pattern of play for all levels of the club to adopt and perfect. It would probably put the DoF at odds with Rhino but, that should be a challenge he should take on gleefully as Rhino is failing in not (enough) producing players to step up to the first team.

…I imagine Benitez & Moshiri would have the same difficulties shifting the ‘deadwood’ as Brands.

i agree with the strategy of playing a consistent way through the ranks but I’m not convinced about ‘improving training’ in the Academy. I really don’t know about the standard of training, I’m not sure any of us do. I’m more of a view the lack of talent coming through is down to recruitment and more specifically, I don’t think the numbers of talented youngsters are out there any more.

There’s numerous reasons for that, but I think it’s largely down to kids doing so many other things these days. You rarely see kids out playing footy in the street, in the 60s and 70s we grew up with a football attached to our feet. I’ve said many times that Rooney might be the last of the street footballers. There is quality out there, I just don’t think it’s as plentiful and the strategy of bringing in talented youngsters ( Stones, DCL, Lookman, Holgate et al) seems the best way forward.

As for Brands, the club should employ an empowered DoF. The governance & transfer processes should be balanced in his direction & Moshiri in particular should back him and not interfere.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.