Marcelo Bielsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bielsa is known for his gruelling training regimes, relentless fast press and general ‘murderball’ as it has been dubbed. His methods wont attract established players to join us but he would be great for our youth/academy players who are desperate to break through and prove themselves.

Long term would be a great appointment (especially if relegated) but do I think he can save us in the short term…. No

His reputation of Murderball is slightly unfair because it's designed to make the training session more realistic to match day conditions so he had 11 v 11, no ref and no rest for 20/25 minutes.

Our players looked like it was pre-season at West Ham, they need their arses handed to them.

Bielsa will demand the standards that we as fans demand. Pressing, man to man marking, fast and attacking football who have EVERY player working.

Players like Onana, Godfrey, Patterson, Iwobi, Gordon, Danjuma, Gray, DCL will thrive in this system. His 4-1-4-1 will fit these perfectly

Defensively, he uses a low block so Mykolenko, Tarkowski, Coady plus Pickford passing would be really handy.

Look at Bielsa's Leeds squad, like for like, we have better players but Leeds have a far better manager and tactically

I am all for Bielsa if we can bring in a few extra players in January especially a deep-laying midfielder.

Bielsa and Everton feels like a natural fit for me.

But Bielsa and this woeful squad of lethargic players feels like a recipe for disaster.

He'd probably be great if we went down, but not sure we can stay up playing the way he will want to play.
Not really mate, we could get a very basic Bielsa setup out of this squad, it would still need 2 or 3 additions though.

Pickford

Godfrey/Holgate--Coady--Mykolenko (id want a replacement here)

Gana/Garner--Onana--New Player

Gray--Iwobi--Danjuma

Calvert-Lewin

I'm not saying it's the greatest team in the world mate but there is enough legs there to get started, only Gana and Myko would worry me and a fit Garner will help there for starters.

Kalvin Phillips is barely getting a look in at City and Guardiola was clearly cross with him returning overweight from the World Cup. Guardiola likes Bielsa and might see a loan as a way of sorting Phillips and getting him ready to start afresh next season. Think Phillips would be open to it- he loved Bielsa. Midfield 3 of Onana-Iwobi-Phillips would significantly increase our chances of staying up.

Last edited:
His reputation of Murderball is slightly unfair because it's designed to make the training session more realistic to match day conditions so he had 11 v 11, no ref and no rest for 20/25 minutes.

Our players looked like it was pre-season at West Ham, they need their arses handed to them.

Bielsa will demand the standards that we as fans demand. Pressing, man to man marking, fast and attacking football who have EVERY player working.

Players like Onana, Godfrey, Patterson, Iwobi, Gordon, Danjuma, Gray, Dominic Calvert-Lewin will thrive in this system. His 4-1-4-1 will fit these perfectly

Defensively, he uses a low block so Mykolenko, Tarkowski, Coady plus Pickford passing would be really handy.

Look at Bielsa's Leeds squad, like for like, we have better players but Leeds have a far better manager and tactically

I am all for Bielsa if we can bring in a few extra players in January especially a deep-laying midfielder.

Hope you’re right Mate, nearly gets me excited that.

Players like Onana, Godfrey, Patterson, Iwobi, Gordon, Danjuma, Gray, Dominic Calvert-Lewin will thrive in this system. His 4-1-4-1 will fit these perfectly

We have better players than he has, but they probably had players who fitted his system better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back