• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So many problems last night, not enough creativity, inability to get the ball to stick up front, individual battles lost across the pitch, moving the ball far too slowly, not enough movement - plenty of blame to go around for these failings.

But ultimately we’ve lost that game due to an inability to defend set pieces all game which falls squarely in the coaching department.

Sure it’s been put in here already, but this picture shows utter defensive incompetence - poor shape, no marking, players drawn to the ball, players not knowing their job.

View attachment 53487

....this picture should be vaulted onto every page of this thread.

We defended that free kick like we ‘hoped’ it would come to nothing. Nobody dying for the cause in the last minute of an FA Cup match. No determination, just fingers crossed. 1 opposition player with more desire to win the knock down, 4 opposition players queuing up to tap it. Everton players watching.

No organisation, no passion. Silva, his coaches and his players are culpable. The fans deserve better.

Why?

If Kendall in his first season was around in the age social media the thread would have been similar to this.
Because it's unrealistic to suggest we should hold on in hope that our current manager replicates the success of our greatest ever manager, just because they both had tricky opening spells.

For one, football has changed. And two, Kendall was a legend of the club who's ambitions reflected the values of the club.

Silva needs to improve results and performances quickly. I can accept defeats. I will not accept a lack of fight and willingness to challenge for tackles and headers. If he can't get the players to give their best efforts he's in trouble. If he gets to the summer, and I hope he does, then he needs to be ruthless in his clear out. Otherwise these players will get him the sack, but it will be his fault for failing to move them on when he was afforded the extra patience and time.

Silva = inherited a very good squad, spent loads to further improve it, yet is performing worse than Allardyce who had a much worse squad.

That's basis enough to fire him. I just wish these managers had performance-related clauses in their contracts that allowed for reasonable severance pay and not simply the rest of their contract. To perform so badly and know you're still getting your millions no matter what, that hardly puts the pressure on you to succeed.

The whole of the league is laughing at us, not simply Liverpool and Watford, which itself is bad enough.

firstly I didn't say we wasn't playing well, we was playing half decent to be fair but not as good as some are making out

Cardiff at home, we won 1-0 mate Cardiff are a horrible team, wouldn't call that a good win fat sam wins them games every day of the week easily

brighton at home, played very well in this game to be fair, ( conceded another goal from a set piece tho )

Fulham, don't let the scoreline deceive you, Fulham bummed us in the first half and we should have been a goal or 2 down

palace, overall probably did deserve the win, wasn't a comfortable win like it should have been though ( didn't they miss a pin?

united and arsenal away, we lost them both.

leicetser, they had 10 men, they missed a sitter last kick of the game ( from a set piece surprise suprrise )

I wasn't trying to be confrontational on your point - it was more in a response to people generally writing that good spell off completely.

The Cardiff game, I've been through a few weeks back with another poster, but we absolutely dominated that game. We had a shot cleared off the line and Etheridge made two or three really good saves. We had 18 shots and 8 on target. It may have only been 1-0 but could have been much more, and should have been.

Fulham didn't do us in the first half, really. We weren't great, no, but bar one lapse in concentration they did nothing. Yes, a bit of luck, but luck is part of the game.

Palace no it wasn't comfy but it was deserved. Showed fight and grit and came through. Leicester we were by far the better team, regardless of 10 men. We dominated the first half and really should have been 2 or 3 to the good (and should have had a penalty).

We were also let down in most games by terrible refereeing decisions.

As I said, I'm not making excuses. There's no valid excuse for our form at the moment or for Silva not trying different things. I don't know whether it's him being stubborn, or simply being incapable. Either way it's a concern.

Silva = inherited a very good squad, spent loads to further improve it, yet is performing worse than Allardyce who had a much worse squad.

That's basis enough to fire him. I just wish these managers had performance-related clauses in their contracts that allowed for reasonable severance pay and not simply the rest of their contract. To perform so badly and know you're still getting your millions no matter what, that hardly puts the pressure on you to succeed.

The whole of the league is laughing at us, not simply Liverpool and Watford, which itself is bad enough.

Silva 'inherited' the squad that Allardyce was left with bar two players - Walcott and Tosun.

Under Silva - and Brands - six players were brought in. At least two of those have been among our best performers this season.

That's not inheriting a squad. That's adding to it - and factor in three of those players didn't even feature fully until October.

Also, wider point and not in response to anyone in particular, but why do people believe we're a 'laughing stock', or actually why do people even care? It's football, ffs.

You're grown adults (mostly). Get a grip for crying out loud.

"Did he lumber the squad with a load of footballers that aren't suited to his style and put them on massive contracts? Do you think he doesn't want to buy players in January?"

I don't get your argument as none of them players are playing

Having those players in the squad and paying them wages underpins our inability to strengthen in the transfer market. It's absolutely wasted resource. Of which, Marco Silva inherited rather most of it rather than bought it.

It's all these poor decisions by the board and Silva's predecessors that are making the job harder.

Maybe the right thing to do is sack Silva. However, I'm just preaching a bit of patience and caution. I'm not sure sacking managers continually is the right way to go. Fair enough if others disagree.

I wasn't trying to be confrontational on your point - it was more in a response to people generally writing that good spell off completely.

The Cardiff game, I've been through a few weeks back with another poster, but we absolutely dominated that game. We had a shot cleared off the line and Etheridge made two or three really good saves. We had 18 shots and 8 on target. It may have only been 1-0 but could have been much more, and should have been.

Fulham didn't do us in the first half, really. We weren't great, no, but bar one lapse in concentration they did nothing. Yes, a bit of luck, but luck is part of the game.

Palace no it wasn't comfy but it was deserved. Showed fight and grit and came through. Leicester we were by far the better team, regardless of 10 men. We dominated the first half and really should have been 2 or 3 to the good (and should have had a penalty).

We were also let down in most games by terrible refereeing decisions.

As I said, I'm not making excuses. There's no valid excuse for our form at the moment or for Silva not trying different things. I don't know whether it's him being stubborn, or simply being incapable. Either way it's a concern.

either way mate, were debating games against bottom 5 clubs that are fat sams bread and butter

realistically have we won a single game on paper you'd say we wasn't "favourites"?

the refs excuses I don't get, arsenal were already winning 1-0 at the time, united was a terrible a decision nd we was playing well but we didn't really start creating chances until we went 2 goals down

Having those players in the squad and paying them wages underpins our inability to strengthen in the transfer market. It's absolutely wasted resource. Of which, Marco Silva inherited rather most of it rather than bought it.

It's all these poor decisions by the board and Silva's predecessors that are making the job harder.

Maybe the right thing to do is sack Silva. However, I'm just preaching a bit of patience and caution. I'm not sure sacking managers continually is the right way to go. Fair enough if others disagree.

but we did strengthen in the transfer market?

either way mate, were debating games against bottom 5 clubs that are fat sams bread and butter

realistically have we won a single game on paper you'd say we wasn't "favourites"?

the refs excuses I don't get, arsenal were already winning 1-0 at the time, united was a terrible a decision nd we was playing well but we didn't really start creating chances until we went 2 goals down

We missed sitters against Arsenal yes, but it's easier to get back in at 1-0 than 2-0, isn't it!?

United we had 14 attempts on goal. They didn't all come after we went 2-0 down.

I agree on your 'favourites' shout. But ultimately we need to simply win the games we are favourites for and that will probably be enough for this season as depressing as it is.

Unfortunately, we aren't doing that at the moment and the pressure is rightly on.

Silva 'inherited' the squad that Allardyce was left with bar two players - Walcott and Tosun.

Under Silva - and Brands - six players were brought in. At least two of those have been among our best performers this season.

That's not inheriting a squad. That's adding to it - and factor in three of those players didn't even feature fully until October.
Koeman had a good squad.

Allaryce inherited that good squad and added a further 50m worth of players.

Silva inherited that very good squad and added a further 100m worth of players.

Any competent manager should be able to challenge the top 4 with this squad, the top 6 at a very, very minimum.

25m - 30m players all over the place and we're in the bottom half.

Shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back