• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes you need to go backwards to enable you to progress ... none of us are happy at where we’re currently at but I’m not not gonna call for the managers head this early into his tenure.

I dont like calling for any managers head either (well apart from Allardyce's that is) but you have to go forward to go forwards, not backwards even if it is at a snails pace and especially when you are starting from such a low point where going backwards would have actually been more difficult. After a full summer transfer window and about 27 games, we still cannot even do basic defending and its not a new thing, the problems were blatant 27 games ago and there has been no improvement whatsoever. Everyone including even poor lower league teams have been cashing in on it. Nothing to do with transition or rebuilding that, just poor Management and an unwillingness and stubbornness to change. It could and should have been fixed 25 games ago regardless of anyone being new. It is basic football.

I really wanted Silva to be good for us but i am just not seeing anything at all to make me think that it is even possible. There is no way is he going to be sacked yet anyway as it would be pointless but there needs to be a massive and instant change in everything about us for him to even have a chance of continuing on after this season imo.

Yet again, we've hired a manager who was flavour of the month and has done nothing of note in the Premiership. He started off well at Watford but was unable to get them out of a bad slump they had. Well, same thing's happening here. I remember seeing him at Hull against Palace, last game of the season when they needed a result to stay up. They were losing and he just stood there without any emotion. Not once did he try and motivate the players.

Why we persist on hiring flavour of the month managers is beyond me. We need a manager that has a decent track record over a number of years not just half a season or one season. They need to be able to set up a defence 1st and foremost (the best teams are solid). Able to get the best out of limited resources (most have done this for over 3 seasons) and actually achieved things in a strong league (if not in the Prem then in Germany or Spain).
We could do with someone who is a disciplinarian and won't take rubbish from players who under perform. So far Martinez, sorry Marco Silva hasn't proved in the Premiership that he can do it. Unfortunately, he's a lucky man in that I don't think Moshiri has the stomach to get rid of another manager, especially as he really persued him.

I know people feel he needs time to sort out the mess but on paper that team should really be doing better. He hasn't inherited a squad half as bad as Moyes or even Martinez for that matter so for us to be awful since November is just disgraceful. To not even compete shows he cannot motivate his teams.

30m Pickford
30m Keane
25m Mina
20m Digne
Coleman / Gomes / Zouma / Gueye / Lookman / Bernard
20m Walcott
27m Tosun
40m Sigurdsson
40m Richarlison​
It would be wise to ignore the prices we paid, as clearly very few have shown it was money well invested. The much lower resale values point to a Premier league mid to bottom half squad, which is where we are. We paid OTT for players with 'potential' and are now stuck with them. But I do think Brand/Silva's purchases have largely been good (Mina excepted and he still needs time) so would back them to identify good players once more of the deadwood is shifted. Gueye, Onyekuru, Vlasic might need selling at profit to offset losses from summer sales of Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Bolasie, Tosun, Mirallas, Niasse and maybe Keane and Walcott. Hard to see any of them in a successful Silva side.

A half decent manager could get more than a decent tune out of this lot. Players are mostly internationals. Silva bought a significant portion himself.

No excuses.

He has to show he is willing to change; if we start with the same tactics vs Huddersfield then he will have shown that he isn’t and should be shown the door.

Mate seriously, stand back and look at those names on the screen yeah? How many of them would actually get into any of the top 6 let alone the top 4, even Digne who has played well would not get into all of them and is probably the only one who might, the others are all very average. Mina is a CB who is noted for his goalscoring, i mean wtf! we need a CB who can defend not score. Walcott is luxury player, always has been, always will be. Richarlison has skills when he is not throwing himself on the floor every 5 mins, and don't get me even started on the likes of Pickford, Keane and Tosun, they are lucky to even be playing in this league.
I know they're all crap. But look at them before they joined us and became crap.

Pickford was the hottest goalkeeping prospect in the country.
Keane was rock solid at Burnley.
Mina was one of the star CBs at the World Cup.
Digne had represented Roma and Barca and was a French international squad player.
Richarlison was one of Brazil's top prospects.
Walcott has always been deemed a handful when fit.
Tosun was very much a 50/50 as to whether he'd suit us / the league, yet was deemed as the best Turkish striker and scored loads over there.
Zouma is a big prospect for Chelsea.
Gomes was signed by Barca and they were unwilling to sell as they still believe he could make it there.
Gueye proved his worth with us already.
Lookman ripped it up in the Bundesliga and we rejected 25m+ for him from Leipzig.
Bernard ripped it up in Ukraine and everybody was gobsmacked when we signed him.
Sigurdsson was noted as one of the best set piece takers in the entire division.

With the players we have, it's disgraceful that he hasn't been able to make a team out of them and that they look like complete and utter strangers. It's down to the manager that they've all failed to reach their potential with us.

I know they're all crap. But look at them before they joined us and became crap.

Digne had represented Roma and Barca and was a French international squad player.
Tosun was very much a 50/50 as to whether he'd suit us / the league, yet was deemed as the best Turkish striker and scored loads over there.
Gomes was signed by Barca and they were unwilling to sell as they still believe he could make it there.
Lookman ripped it up in the Bundesliga and we rejected 25m+ for him from Leipzig.
Bernard ripped it up in Ukraine and everybody was gobsmacked when we signed him.
Sigurdsson was noted as one of the best set piece takers in the entire division.

With the players we have, it's disgraceful that he hasn't been able to make a team out of them and that they look like complete and utter strangers. It's down to the manager that they've all failed to reach their potential with us.

Zouma isn’t a big prospect for Chelsea, he’s been there 5 years and they’re still loaning him out to guff teams. Your justifications for Keane, Tosun and Sigurdsson are utter nonsense too by the way.

On paper -apart from Pickford, who seemed sketchy at Sunderland - that team is very good. Maybe not top 6 good but at least able to give it a go.

Koeman had a good squad.

Allaryce inherited that good squad and added a further 50m worth of players.

Silva inherited that very good squad and added a further 100m worth of players.

Any competent manager should be able to challenge the top 4 with this squad, the top 6 at a very, very minimum.

25m - 30m players all over the place and we're in the bottom half.

Shameful.

We don't have a good squad, we have a big squad.

We have far too many players with ability and no drive, or plenty of drive and no ability.

That's not to say this squad should be 11th, or should be losing to Millwall, but it is not a 'very good' squad. It's a beefy, bloated, bang average squad as is proved when we try to rotate.

Watford made 11 changes the other day - 11. When we make one change in midfield we fall apart.

Silva's tactics and decisions lately have been poor. But let's not pretend this squad isn't just as inconsistent and iffy as the teams we're currently in the middle with.

I dont like calling for any managers head either (well apart from Allardyce's that is) but you have to go forward to go forwards, not backwards even if it is at a snails pace and especially when you are starting from such a low point where going backwards would have actually been more difficult. After a full summer transfer window and about 27 games, we still cannot even do basic defending and its not a new thing, the problems were blatant 27 games ago and there has been no improvement whatsoever. Everyone including even poor lower league teams have been cashing in on it. Nothing to do with transition or rebuilding that, just poor Management and an unwillingness and stubbornness to change. It could and should have been fixed 25 games ago regardless of anyone being new. It is basic football.

I really wanted Silva to be good for us but i am just not seeing anything at all to make me think that it is even possible. There is no way is he going to be sacked yet anyway as it would be pointless but there needs to be a massive and instant change in everything about us for him to even have a chance of continuing on after this season imo.

lol

Reactions: Lob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back