Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night we overtook the amount of wins we accumulated in Martinez's final season (by two if we credit Rhino with the Nowich game) and equalled the amount we won in his second season. Thats right, in this utterly terrible and depressing season were we've had Moonhead, Rhino and BFS at the helm we've still won more games and are likely to finish higher in the table then two out of three Martinez seasons. Say he's a nice guy all you want but don't lie and pretend things would of been better with him here because it's utter BS. We've had far to many faliures at this club for managers in recent years and Martinez is right up with the worst of them.

No no no no no no. There's so much more to it than that. He's responsible, along with Walsh, for the car crash of a squad we went into the season with and why we now need to spend another £150m on top of what he pissed away to fix it.
I agree mate. The fat Dutchman (and gormless Walsh) wrought terrible damage on Everton. I'm glad I nicked fatty's carpark

RM gave me and a lot of other blues that I know an amazing time which we haven’t had under Moyes, Fat Ron or Big Sam.

That season was magic. Moyes turgid efforts being found out at Man U. We played the best football I have seen in, well, ever.

Would love him back.

RM gave me and a lot of other blues that I know an amazing time which we haven’t had under Moyes, Fat Ron or Big Sam.

That season was magic. Moyes turgid efforts being found out at Man U. We played the best football I have seen in, well, ever.

Would love him back.
Listen lad, Jose is not going anywhere......

Belgium have one of the easiest w/c groups and should qualify without too much trouble against an ingerland side with boneheads like Henderson, chambermaid, delli average etc. No great feat imo

Would love him back.
Magic until Pulis popped our bubble and the season ended on a bit of a whimper. Everton that

Belgium have one of the easiest w/c groups and should qualify without too much trouble against an ingerland side with boneheads like Henderson, chambermaid, delli average etc. No great feat imo
I think you're underestimating the transformative power putting on the shirt with three lions over the heart has on players. Have you forgotten 1966?

Last night we overtook the amount of wins we accumulated in Martinez's final season (by two if we credit Rhino with the Nowich game) and equalled the amount we won in his second season. Thats right, in this utterly terrible and depressing season were we've had Moonhead, Rhino and BFS at the helm we've still won more games and are likely to finish higher in the table then two out of three Martinez seasons. Say he's a nice guy all you want but don't lie and pretend things would of been better with him here because it's utter BS. We've had far to many faliures at this club for managers in recent years and Martinez is right up with the worst of them.

And yet those two latter Martinez seasons gave us more to get excited over than any of the two we have had since......when in both cases the season ended on the first weekend of January.

Particularly this one which for most punters on here will go down as the most boring, mind numbing season ever.

As @dannyboy says, not one memorable match or notable victory throughout it.

But hey, the Three Amigos won more games between them this season than Bobby did in his second and third sesson.

Yet more proof of the old adage about lies and statistics :pint2:

And yet those two latter Martinez seasons gave us more to get excited over than any of the two we have had since......when in both cases the season ended on the first weekend of January.

Particularly this one which for most punters on here will go down as the most boring, mind numbing season ever.

As @dannyboy says, not one memorable match or notable victory throughout it.

But hey, the Three Amigos won more games between them this season than Bobby did in his second and third sesson.

Yet more proof of the old adage about lies and statistics :pint2:
Both 14-15 and 15-16 were utter garbage mate. Sure the cup runs were nice but I'm affraid only actually winning one can save a season like that from being an abject failure. We didn't so imo they were. I'm not pretending that the three morons we've had this season have done a better job then Martinez. Im pointing out that things weren't any better while he was here.

The cup runs are what you mean by "memroble moment's" I take it? Because we can throw in the 2-1 over Arsenal or the 4-0 over Man City if you want to mention league victorys that meant thing in the grand scheme of things because we finished so low in the table.

So let's talk cup runs under Martinez. In 14-15 we crashed out of both the FA Cup and league cup against the mighty West Ham and Swansa respectively so there's no glossing over that. We reached the last 16 of the Europa League? I'll grant you I had a boss few nights in Wolfsburg and Bern for our wins there but I'm sorry mate, we got knocked out in the last 16. I'm not going to pretend that's an achievement of some sort.

In 15-16 We admittedly reached semi-finals of both domestic cups but lets not pretend they were boss runs. We couldn't of asked for easier runs to the semi-final stage in both runs. In the league cup we faced Barnsley, Reading, Norwich and Middlesbrough before we inevitably got beat by the first quality side we faced. In the FA Cup we faced Dagenham and Redbridge, Carlisle and Bournemouth before the one man wrecking crew Lukaku singlhandly defeated a Chelsea side who were crap that season and finished 10th in the league. On both occasions we faced pretty much nobody until the semi-finals and were soundly beaten on both occasions. If we'd of had we had a even half competent manager we'd could of reached the semi-finals stage this season and not been humiliated in the keague most weeks, perticuarly had we been given a run like that as opposed to Chelsea and Liverpool away. The Europa league run this season was an abomination but finishing in the last 16 is not somthing to be proud of or look back fondly on imo. Anyway im really not sure what we're arguing about here. I dont rate, Koeman or BFS one tiny bit. Im mearly pointing out the fact Martinez was just a big a faliure here and to pretend otherwise is to dismiss reailty.

I'm sure we can all agree that we need a better standards of manager then Martinez, Koeman or BFS if we are to ever move forward as a club.

Last edited:
Both 14-15 and 15-16 were utter garbage mate. Sure the cup runs were nice but I'm affraid only actually winning one can save a season like that from being an abject failure. We didn't so imo they were. I'm not pretending that the three morons we've had this season have done a better job then Martinez. Im pointing out thst things weren't thst much better while he was here.

The cup runs are what you mean by "memroble moment's"? Because we can throw in the 2-1 over Arsenal or the 4-0 over Man City if you want to mention league victorys that meant thing in the grand scheme of things because we finished so low in the table.

So let's talk cup runs under Martinez. In 14-15 we crashed out of both the FA Cup and league cup against the mighty West Ham and Swansa respectively so there's no glossing over that. We reached the last 16 of the Europa League? I'll grant you I had a boss few nights in Wolfsburg and Bern for our wins there but I'm sorry mate, we got knocked out in the last 16. I'm not going to pretend that's an achievement of some sort.

In 15-16 We admittedly reached semi-finals of both domestic cups but lets not pretend they were boss runs. We couldn't of asked for easier runs to the semi-final stage in both runs. In the league cup we faced Barnsley, Reading, Norwich and Middlesbrough before we inevitably got beat by the first quality side we faced. In the FA Cup we faced Dagenham and Redbridge, Carlisle and Bournemouth before the one man wrecking crew Lukaku singlhandly defeated a Chelsea side who were crap that season and finished 10th in the league. On both occasions we faced pretty much nobody until the semi-finals and were soundly beaten on both occasions. If we'd of had we had a even half competent manager we'd could of reached the semi-finals stage this season and not been humiliated in the keague most weeks, perticuarly had we been given a run like that as opposed to Chelsea and Liverpool away. The Europa league run this season was an abomination but finishing in the last 16 is not somthing to be proud of or look back fondly on imo. Anyway im really not sure what were arguing about here. I dont rate, Koeman or BFS one tiny bit. Im mearly pointing out the fact Martinez was just a big a faliure here and to pretend otherwise is to dismiss reailty.

We got absolutely rinsed by a horribly average team as well, 5-2 against that Kiev team is a truly dreadful result that renders the results we had against Wolfsburg and Young Boys void. When we reached the same stage under Moyes I can look back with fondness because against Fiorentina we were genuinely really unlucky. Not so against Kiev, just really, really bad.

The Martinez second season stands out as a season nearly as bad as this one. It would be worse except for a record breaking-ly awful Europa run this season and the fact we beat Manchester United 3-0 at Goodison in that season meant that we had a result to look back on whereas this season we have been mostly humiliated by the top sides.

As you say though the fact we have equalled the amount of wins from that campaign after the year we've had tells you everything about how awful those seasons were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back