Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both 14-15 and 15-16 were utter garbage mate. Sure the cup runs were nice but I'm affraid only actually winning one can save a season like that from being an abject failure. We didn't so imo they were. I'm not pretending that the three morons we've had this season have done a better job then Martinez. Im pointing out that things weren't any better while he was here.

The cup runs are what you mean by "memroble moment's" I take it? Because we can throw in the 2-1 over Arsenal or the 4-0 over Man City if you want to mention league victorys that meant thing in the grand scheme of things because we finished so low in the table.

So let's talk cup runs under Martinez. In 14-15 we crashed out of both the FA Cup and league cup against the mighty West Ham and Swansa respectively so there's no glossing over that. We reached the last 16 of the Europa League? I'll grant you I had a boss few nights in Wolfsburg and Bern for our wins there but I'm sorry mate, we got knocked out in the last 16. I'm not going to pretend that's an achievement of some sort.

In 15-16 We admittedly reached semi-finals of both domestic cups but lets not pretend they were boss runs. We couldn't of asked for easier runs to the semi-final stage in both runs. In the league cup we faced Barnsley, Reading, Norwich and Middlesbrough before we inevitably got beat by the first quality side we faced. In the FA Cup we faced Dagenham and Redbridge, Carlisle and Bournemouth before the one man wrecking crew Lukaku singlhandly defeated a Chelsea side who were crap that season and finished 10th in the league. On both occasions we faced pretty much nobody until the semi-finals and were soundly beaten on both occasions. If we'd of had we had a even half competent manager we'd could of reached the semi-finals stage this season and not been humiliated in the keague most weeks, perticuarly had we been given a run like that as opposed to Chelsea and Liverpool away. The Europa league run this season was an abomination but finishing in the last 16 is not somthing to be proud of or look back fondly on imo. Anyway im really not sure what we're arguing about here. I dont rate, Koeman or BFS one tiny bit. Im mearly pointing out the fact Martinez was just a big a faliure here and to pretend otherwise is to dismiss reailty.

I'm sure we can all agree that we need a better standards of manager then Martinez, Koeman or BFS if we are to ever move forward as a club.

Yes, they may well have been “garbage” but they sure as heck were a vast improvement on what we have seen this season, which has been worse than garbage.

Yes, they may well have been “garbage” but they sure as heck were a vast improvement on what we have seen this season, which has been worse than garbage.
Not really mate, garbage is grabage. A couple pf cup runs againt vastly inferior mostly lower league sides doesnt make it any less a disaster. We're literally disagreeing over which season was crapper?! FFS, fans of some clubs argue about which season was better out of winning a cup or the league. We argue about which terrible season was slightly worse then the other. Everton that!

The last four years have all been shocking. You can say Martinez is a better manager then the two idiots who followed him here if you want and I'm really not arsed enough to argue about it but can we both agree that all three of them were failures? You can say Martinez failed the least if that makes you feel better but he was a total faliure here, yes?

Sounds like a shakey vote of confidence Armel, I didn't realise (although am not surprised) that his position was so weak. Contract means nothing relative to the reality of the WC performance - a vacuous shot in the arm?

Sounds like a shakey vote of confidence Armel, I didn't realise (although am not surprised) that his position was so weak. Contract means nothing relative to the reality of the WC performance - a vacuous shot in the arm?

I think the Belgian FA just wanted to get it over with, since they keep asking if Preud'homme will be the new coach after the WC. Solved now. It probably helped that Lukaku came out with and interview stating that now he finally enjoys the national team again, and some other players said similar.

You're right off course, it doesn't mean a thing if the WC is a disappointment. Then he'll still have to go, only with a bigger pay-off I suspect.

I suppose it also secures some compensation payout if Belgium have a good WC and clubs come looking for RMs signature?

Apparently he was on about (less than) £1M p.a. and that may have been looked at.

Don't know mate, I don't think he'll be getting a raise, the Belgian FA doesn't pay a lot. Tomorrow he'll sign the thing and then we'll know more, it was supposed to be a surprise but like always it leaked... A few months back he mentioned he wanted to stay because he and his family apparently enjoy the place.

So same salary:

Reasons for getting a new contract (http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/voetbal/Rode_Duivels/1.3199335):

- Being a gentleman (I said it before, but if you're a friendly person you can get away with almost anything in Belgium), open-minded and respectful.
- He didn't ask for a raise.
- Players have been consulted and they are happy with Martinez as a coach.
I bet they're happy - the players always love Roberto. Trainings cancelled, let's all sit on beanbags whilst I tell you how wonderful you all are.

I bet they're happy - the players always love Roberto. Trainings cancelled, let's all sit on beanbags whilst I tell you how wonderful you all are.
Hilariously enough, this is what the players probably want for international breaks. They already deal with a ton of training and fitness with their clubs, so they probably don’t need the extra nonsense. Give Martinez control of a disciplined team, and you have a match made in heaven. He is probably the perfect international coach when you think about it.

Hilariously enough, this is what the players probably want for international breaks. They already deal with a ton of training and fitness with their clubs, so they probably don’t need the extra nonsense. Give Martinez control of a disciplined team, and you have a match made in heaven. He is probably the perfect international coach when you think about it.
the squad is that insanely talented, and its by far the best squad at the world cup, perhaps as you say all it needs is for someone to come in and build a bit of harmony *get the bikes out thierry*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back