Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please enlighten us...
I read here and elsewhere that a group of senior players had fallen out with the manager and dug their heels in, refusing to cooperate, determined to get rid of him. At the time I thought it was an exaggeration, but maybe not.

No he's Bobby's lapdog - followed him around from Swansea to Wigan to us and then to Brussels. I look forward to the photo of them both clutching the World Cup with grins like someone who's won the lottery, although with Bobby's ego he will regard it as his just desserts.
Sorry guys I thought the original question related to big Dunc.

I read here and elsewhere that a group of senior players had fallen out with the manager and dug their heels in, refusing to cooperate, determined to get rid of him. At the time I thought it was an exaggeration, but maybe not.
Baines and Capt Jags... from reports on here

Playing Chadli as a full back wasn't the wisest move in hindsight.

They really missed Meunier. Then again, I don't feel sorry for Martinez. He had one of the most elite teams gifted to him on silver platter. The only position this Belgian side lacked was a top quality left back.

He was incredibly lucky against Japan with that fluke goal from Vertonghen starting the fightback. Credit were it's due against Brazil, although I am of the opinion that side was incredibly overrated and their star player spent more time on the floor than he did trying to score. Semi final in my opinion is the absolute minimum this team should have achieved. I think this world Cup will be remembered as Belgium's best ever opportunity to win one.

He'll be fine though, he's like a cat and always lands on his feet. Get Wigan relegated, get the Everton job. Gets fired from Everton, gets the Belgium job. I would not be remotely surprised if he walks into the Barcelona job when Belgium punt him likely in 2020.

If Lukaku hadn't had such a terrible game against France Roberto would have one hand on the trophy right now. Belgium would have taken down Croatia.

@davek - thanks for all your sterling work in defence of 'our Bobby' but I hope you won't neglect your duties in the 'Fears of a Witch-hunt...' thread which has fallen below standard in recent weeks. I'll flash you a Firmino smile as encouragement: :D

Big Rom had a bit of an off game against France. Were it not for such , I suspect Bobby M would have one hand on the trophy . Imo, Belgium would have beaten Croatia. All moot now of course.

It's now pretty much accepted as a given that Bainesy and Capt Jags were the ring-leaders in plotting Roberto's downfall. My question is this though : did Bainesy and Capt Jags also play a back-stabbing role in forcing Samuel Eto'o to depart Everton so quickly.? Eto'o, you would think, has been around the traps long enough to recognise quality managers, so the only conclusion I can draw regarding his not sticking with Roberto, is that chief snides Bainesy and Capt Jags forced him out of the club.
What do you guys think? Why did Eto'o leave so quickly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back