Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an absolute WUM All-Star

Reeled in about 3 people in the past day alone

Man's got skillz
There's no "wumming" going on mate. If you don't know by now that I rated and still rate Martinez and the break he gave this club from the Dark Ages of hoofball then you probably never will.

And for all those still using the lamentable "fraud" insult to describe a man with a cv that includes a cup win and our best ever PL season both in a footballing and results sense, does that mean we can assume koeman is a fraud to have the mantle of "great manager" thrust on him prior to actually winning anything of note? I think when koeman struggles to get anywhere near a CL place/points total we'll see just how underrated that first season of martinez's was and that without a manager being backed by at least Liverpool levels of spending we won't be getting ourselves back to that type of performance ever again.

There's no "wumming" going on mate. If you don't know by now that I rated and still rate Martinez and the break he gave this club from the Dark Ages of hoofball then you probably never will.

And for all those still using the lamentable "fraud" insult to describe a man with a cv that includes a cup win and our best ever PL season both in a footballing and results sense, does that mean we can assume koeman is a fraud to have the mantle of "great manager" thrust on him prior to actually winning anything of note? I think when koeman struggles to get anywhere near a CL place/points total we'll see just how underrated that first season of martinez's was and that without a manager being backed by at least Liverpool levels of spending we won't be getting ourselves back to that type of performance ever again.

I think you're overstating how much people care about the first season when we had two seasons of pure muck to follow it up. But that was all on the players of course, though they can't be given any credit for the first season, that was 100% the manager. A never ending spiral of nonsense. I also notice how you refuse to address Koeman's Spanish Cup win, and he didn't even have to get Valencia relegated in the process.

Last edited:

Only Premier league Everton manager to do that is David Moyes.

International football may well be the perfect environment for Martinez. Day to day coaching, consistency over 38 games, transfers, selection, man management, are not really his strongpoints.

Being gifted 23 quality players that you only need to coax 6 or 7 good performances from is much more his bag. You can't go too far wrong telling Hazard Lukaku and De Bruyne to just do whatever they feel like. Good career move for him.

I do think Martinez will do well with Belgium

Managing an international side is much suited to his abilities, as would be managing on the continent

He can use the Belgium job to get his career back on the right track, and then get a nice little job at Osasuna or Real Volcano following on from it

I do think Martinez will do well with Belgium

Managing an international side is much suited to his abilities, as would be managing on the continent

He can use the Belgium job to get his career back on the right track, and then get a nice little job at Osasuna or Real Volcano following on from it

He will crash and burn, International players see through him, they wont want such a person in charge of them.

If he lasts 6months I will be shocked.

The only job I see in his future is back at wigan.

He will crash and burn, International players see through him, they wont want such a person in charge of them.

If he lasts 6months I will be shocked.

The only job I see in his future is back at wigan.

I can see him in Spain

Think about it, if he took Osasuna to an 11th place finish in La Liga and then got them to the latter stages of a cup, they'd be delighted

Good little job for him that

Couple of Quarter Finals with Belgium and then he can head to Spain. I'm sure there'd be no shortage of takers. If Valencia and Sociedad were prepared to hire traditional British managers, I see no reason why a mid level team wouldn't take a chance on a Spannish coach with experience of managing in England

Pace of the game is a lot slower over there and it would just be damage limitation against the Classico sides

He'll be just fine

I can see him in Spain

Think about it, if he took Osasuna to an 11th place finish in La Liga and then got them to the latter stages of a cup, they'd be delighted

Good little job for him that

Couple of Quarter Finals with Belgium and then he can head to Spain. I'm sure there'd be no shortage of takers. If Valencia and Sociedad were prepared to hire traditional British managers, I see no reason why a mid level team wouldn't take a chance on a Spannish coach with experience of managing in England

Pace of the game is a lot slower over there and it would just be damage limitation against the Classico sides

He'll be just fine

6months top.

Maybe the SPL.

Can't see it, he'd have to take a massive hit on his own wages. Plus the clubs here that needed managers closed season weren't exactly queuing up to offer him jobs - got linked with Derby and Hull. The Derby fans went wild and that was the end of that.

Unless he does something with Belgium he's finished in the top flight.

Can't see it, he'd have to take a massive hit on his own wages. Plus the clubs here that needed managers closed season weren't exactly queuing up to offer him jobs - got linked with Derby and Hull. The Derby fans went wild and that was the end of that.

Unless he does something with Belgium he's finished in the top flight.

The SPL isnt the top flight tho, I can see him at some League Two Scottish no marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back