Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though it was only Estonia (they aren't that bad btw, a few years back they almost qualified); I really liked the football displayed. In the past we also won matches but always with very boring football so you always had moaning newspapers- rightly so. The tactic was, waiting for a flash of brilliance from Hazard/KDB or such. One of the many peculiarities of Wilmots; like neglecting set pieces because it's different in a match anyway- mind blown.

If you look at the newspapers now:

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/16076/De-R...Estland-8-1-Mertens-met-voet-in-4-goals.dhtml

[Heavenly Belgians wipe the floor with Estonia]

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20161113_02569985

[Sparkly Red Devils go past Estonia with heavenly football]

http://www.lesoir.be/1366785/articl...diables-ont-fait-spectacle-face-l-estonie-8-1

[Spectacular Red Devils Estonia 8-1]

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/football...contre-l-estonie-8-1-58277ef9cd70fb896a68e232

[The Red Devils displayed an offensive spectacle, under tuition of maestro Romelu Lukaku]

My man of the match was Romelu; didn't put a foot wrong. Very good passing and first touch, he also ran his ass off - sometimes he doesn't do this.

You can see his post-match reaction here: (http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/voetbal/RodeDuivels/1.2818936)

Hmm I guess I'll give a very short summary because I'm willing to bet they are going to misquote his reaction tomorrow in the papers.

Very short summary: RL: "I really enjoy playing in an offensive team", [...] Interviewer: "With Everton most of the time you aren't in the offensive team [he also added against the top teams- no idea why]" *Lukaku chuckles* He responds: Yes it's great fun to play in an offensive minded team, but I have to be able to play different styles, that is very good for my development". So nothing offensive said.

Really like KDB playing as an 8.

Also it was noticeable that a couple of the goals resulted from work in training, this is a good sign. Practised routines.

So in my book Martinez is doing very good. Finally some form of spectacle. In the post-match interviews most of the players were happy about him.

There are other interviews in which they express their appreciation. Like this one: http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/programmas/sportweekend/2.47547?video=1.2818709 .

Hazard et al. All players who have trained under knowledgeable coaches. Some quotes: Witsel" His training sessions are harder and more dynamic and we really like playing the new system, we are starting to be able to adapt"; Lukaku: "With this coach everything is clear, everybody understands where he has to be on the pitch; he also does a lot of individual training sessions with the players which is nice." Oh and Courtois is also a big fan, but he had a couple of bust-ups with the previous trainer; he thought he was an idiot - valid point though.

Also they were booed against Spain because of the extremely weak display against Wales; people wanted to vent their feelings.

Glad it's going well for them.

Interesting how Henry said a few weeks back they had basically just taken Chelsea's system, as that was getting the best out of Hazard, and fitting it to the Belgium squad.

Gets more support in and around Lukaku and allows them to press/drop deep as required.

If only Bobby had shown a bit more of that ingenuity with us last season...

Let me get this straight.

A team of arguably top class footballers, some of which are deemed world class are winning games against teams who have players who don't all play in the top leagues and the coach deserves praise for that?

It is almost like a rich club buying loads of boss players and then winning some games is it not? If they win the league then great, but winning some games by november wins them nothing.

Even though it was only Estonia (they aren't that bad btw, a few years back they almost qualified); I really liked the football displayed. In the past we also won matches but always with very boring football so you always had moaning newspapers- rightly so. The tactic was, waiting for a flash of brilliance from Hazard/KDB or such. One of the many peculiarities of Wilmots; like neglecting set pieces because it's different in a match anyway- mind blown.

If you look at the newspapers now:

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/16076/De-R...Estland-8-1-Mertens-met-voet-in-4-goals.dhtml

[Heavenly Belgians wipe the floor with Estonia]

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20161113_02569985

[Sparkly Red Devils go past Estonia with heavenly football]

http://www.lesoir.be/1366785/articl...diables-ont-fait-spectacle-face-l-estonie-8-1

[Spectacular Red Devils Estonia 8-1]

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/football...contre-l-estonie-8-1-58277ef9cd70fb896a68e232

[The Red Devils displayed an offensive spectacle, under tuition of maestro Romelu Lukaku]

My man of the match was Romelu; didn't put a foot wrong. Very good passing and first touch, he also ran his ass off - sometimes he doesn't do this.

You can see his post-match reaction here: (http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/voetbal/RodeDuivels/1.2818936)

Hmm I guess I'll give a very short summary because I'm willing to bet they are going to misquote his reaction tomorrow in the papers.

Very short summary: RL: "I really enjoy playing in an offensive team", [...] Interviewer: "With Everton most of the time you aren't in the offensive team [he also added against the top teams- no idea why]" *Lukaku chuckles* He responds: Yes it's great fun to play in an offensive minded team, but I have to be able to play different styles, that is very good for my development". So nothing offensive said.

Really like KDB playing as an 8.

Also it was noticeable that a couple of the goals resulted from work in training, this is a good sign. Practised routines.

So in my book Martinez is doing very good. Finally some form of spectacle. In the post-match interviews most of the players were happy about him.

There are other interviews in which they express their appreciation. Like this one: http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/programmas/sportweekend/2.47547?video=1.2818709 .

Hazard et al. All players who have trained under knowledgeable coaches. Some quotes: Witsel" His training sessions are harder and more dynamic and we really like playing the new system, we are starting to be able to adapt"; Lukaku: "With this coach everything is clear, everybody understands where he has to be on the pitch; he also does a lot of individual training sessions with the players which is nice." Oh and Courtois is also a big fan, but he had a couple of bust-ups with the previous trainer; he thought he was an idiot - valid point though.

Also they were booed against Spain because of the extremely weak display against Wales; people wanted to vent their feelings.
Thanks a lot mate.

Lukaku sounds like he cant wait to get back to international football and players around him in the opposition half. The Belgian reporter's conclusion that we play negative football is pretty damning and, unfortunately, on the money.

Glad it's going well for them.

Interesting how Henry said a few weeks back they had basically just taken Chelsea's system, as that was getting the best out of Hazard, and fitting it to the Belgium squad.

Gets more support in and around Lukaku and allows them to press/drop deep as required.

If only Bobby had shown a bit more of that ingenuity with us last season...
That last night was classic RM: packing into the opposition half and shifting the ball about looking for a gap to exploit. The major difference being that belgium have many more players, like De Bruyne and Hazard and others, who can pick a forward pass to punish the opposition over and over.

Do you have a link to the Henry comments?

A team of arguably top class footballers, some of which are deemed world class are winning games against teams who have players who don't all play in the top leagues and the coach deserves praise for that?

It is almost like a rich club buying loads of boss players and then winning some games is it not? If they win the league then great, but winning some games by november wins them nothing.

Ash, it has come to my attention that the vast majority of your posts fall into two categories:

- Stating the bloody obvious
- Complete lack of understanding of some very basic concept that everybody else seems to know of but not you

Having said that, carry on!

Ash, it has come to my attention that the vast majority of your posts fall into two categories:

- Stating the bloody obvious
- Complete lack of understanding of some very basic concept that everybody else seems to know of but not you

Having said that, carry on!

hmm.

seems to me the tone of the thread over the past several pages was a positive towards martinez as a manager.

So how is it stating the obvious?

Absolutley hilarious that the Echo haven't reported the Belgian result given that Lukaku scored twice and created a few. They cant bear to report Martinez's team won 8-1.

Shower of half wit, semi-illiterates.

Not as straight forward as you think, under previous coaches we also won games but the way we played was appalling most of the time. It's not about winning it's about the style of play. I like smooth attacking football, football is entertainment. He's delivering it atm, with room to improve. 21 goals and 1 conceded are good stats. If you want to see evidence of this watch the Cyprus game from before the European Championship and compare it with the last one. Or watch the Wales games; in all of these games you can see that nobody really knows what they are doing.

Normally there should be margin to improve; Dembele injured, Kompany also , Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Fellaini, Lombaerts, Naingollan (absent due to being a bell), Engels, ... .

The fact is they all have very big egos so it's quite a challenge to make them play like a team. You have to check their performances under previous coaches. For instance Hamburger Hazard. This is quite surprising since most have been playing together for ages and are very good friends.

Not as straight forward as you think, under previous coaches we also won games but the way we played was appalling most of the time. It's not about winning it's about the style of play. I like smooth attacking football, football is entertainment. He's delivering it atm, with room to improve. 21 goals and 1 conceded are good stats. If you want to see evidence of this watch the Cyprus game from before the European Championship and compare it with the last one. Or watch the Wales games; in all of these games you can see that nobody really knows what they are doing.

Normally there should be margin to improve; Dembele injured, Kompany also , Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Fellaini, Lombaerts, Naingollan (absent due to being a bell), Engels, ... .

The fact is they all have very big egos so it's quite a challenge to make them play like a team. You have to check their performances under previous coaches. For instance Hamburger Hazard. This is quite surprising since most have been playing together for ages and are very good friends.
Fair enough.

I just see it how it is, a team of mostly top class footballers. Like if you took the belgium team, and played them in the championship, you would expect to win every game.

I guess the good thing for belgium is that Martinez if nothing else is good in the cups, so it bodes well that he can navigate the knockout stages of the tournament. He would be the worst manager to win the world cup like, but player wise, think the majority would walk into our team.

That last night was classic RM: packing into the opposition half and shifting the ball about looking for a gap to exploit. The major difference being that belgium have many more players, like De Bruyne and Hazard and others, who can pick a forward pass to punish the opposition over and over.

Do you have a link to the Henry comments?

Agree mate.

And no I don't. It was on Monday Night Football before the Stoke v Swansea match a few weeks ago.

Absolutley hilarious that the Echo haven't reported the Belgian result given that Lukaku scored twice and created a few. They cant bear to report Martinez's team won 8-1.

Shower of half wit, semi-illiterates.

I'd have a word if I were you mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back