Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was and is inpossible to dislike, if only he could have succeeded in marrying pragmatism with positivity.

He represented us as I would like the manager to do so. But clearly the wheels had fallen off and the situation was beyond repair under him.

I hope he does well at the WC he'll need them to make the last eight to keep going wth them.
His biggest mistake was to allow the Quislings Baines, Jagielka and Mirallas to pollute the squad with their dissent. He had the stock to punt them without any fuss at that point.

As you say, too nice for footy management at a big club.

He was and is inpossible to dislike, if only he could have succeeded in marrying pragmatism with positivity.

He represented us as I would like the manager to do so. But clearly the wheels had fallen off and the situation was beyond repair under him.

I hope he does well at the WC he'll need them to make the last eight to keep going wth them.
The only reason it became untenable was as fans we backed the players not the manager.

Been suffering for that ever since.

I blame those players that obviously downed tools. I blame the fans for not giving him the summer to sort it out.

But in the end I was one of them too.

What? You thought the fans should have given him another summer after 2 x 11th place finishes, the worst season at home since before the war and the fact he thought Aidan McGeady was a “ phenomenal footballer” and that Tom Cleverley was a class act?

What? You thought the fans should have given him another summer after 2 x 11th place finishes, the worst season at home since before the war and the fact he thought Aidan McGeady was a “ phenomenal footballer” and that Tom Cleverley was a class act?
Both those two seasons saw us go deep into the Europa league and reach two semi finals and play some nice football narrowly losing all the games. Not the hammering we would get today from those teams.

FAR FAR FAR better than what we are seeing currently.

We literally haven't had a game worth getting excited over in almost 2 years. We are mid table mediocrity and go out of the cups either in the first or second round plus the actual football on display is boring as hell.

We aren't a league team. For a team like us the cups are more important because they actually give us the opportunity to achieve something each season. We're just in the league to make up the numbers.

So yea I think it was a mistake and in hindsight if people are being honest with themselves I'm sure most of us would agree.

Plus those two players were much better than some of the dross we have bought for 10s of millions.

Both those two seasons saw us go deep into the Europa league and reach two semi finals and play some nice football narrowly losing all the games. Not the hammering we would get today from those teams.

FAR FAR FAR better than what we are seeing currently.

We literally haven't had a game worth getting excited over in almost 2 years. We are mid table mediocrity and go out of the cups either in the first or second round plus the actual football on display is boring as hell.

We aren't a league team. For a team like us the cups are more important because they actually give us the opportunity to achieve something each season. We're just in the league to make up the numbers.

So yea I think it was a mistake and in hindsight if people are being honest with themselves I'm sure most of us would agree.

Plus those two players were much better than some of the dross we have bought for 10s of millions.

I respectfully disagree.

Last season we beat Man City 4-0, Koeman looked to have steadied the ship and we appeared to be on the right tracks and back in Europe.

He then made some appalling signings in the summer which backfired on him massively.

If you are going to make excuses for Martinez, then you need to make them for Koeman as well, otherwise you appear to be not thinking it through.

Anybody can have a cup run, I thought that was very obvious. Get the right draw and you can go far in a competition. nobody remember the semi or quarter finalists though, so you either get to the final or you have failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back