Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
650625298-highlights1621-napalm-attack-highlights1511-bombarding.jpg

Would love him to come over this way, we'd play some sexy stuff in not qualifying.

There fixed that for you.

He had on paper if not the best, one of the best teams in the competition, Should really not got past Japan. He is all foreplay and no penetration.
As an international manager, fortunately he is away from the players for most of the time, but a world cup, his mythical fantastical brain scrambling football was beginning to show.

There fixed that for you.

He had on paper if not the best, one of the best teams in the competition, Should really not got past Japan. He is all foreplay and no penetration.
As an international manager, fortunately he is away from the players for most of the time, but a world cup, his mythical fantastical brain scrambling football was beginning to show.

Germany, Brazil and Spain probably thought the same thing. It's not as straightforward as just having the best players, if it was then we may as well not have a World Cup and just give the trophy to the highest ranked team.

Germany, Brazil and Spain probably thought the same thing. It's not as straightforward as just having the best players, if it was then we may as well not have a World Cup and just give the trophy to the highest ranked team.
More especially with a team like Belgium with more than its fair share of bell ends and prima donnas itching to make their displeasure known if they aren't getting games or the team position or the matchday tactics they want.

Roberto achieved a miracle there herding cats to a SF of the World Cup. His predessor couldn't handle it and his successor wont either.

More especially with a team like Belgium with more than its fair share of bell ends and prima donnas itching to make their displeasure known if they aren't getting games or the team position or the matchday tactics they want.

Roberto achieved a miracle there herding cats to a SF of the World Cup. His predessor couldn't handle it and his successor wont either.

Actually, I agree with the first part of your theory! Roberto had the good sense to give the 'strong characters' in the team their head.

As for his predecessor, Wilmots, he steered a promising but youthful side to the quarter-finals, just one game less than Roberto. I don't think anyone would argue that in the 4 years since then the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne, and Lukaku, to name just three, have become much more complete players, at or close to the peak of their careers.

Once Roberto returns from his well-earned holiday, I'm sure he will quietly sit down and try to analyse why this wonderful attacking team managed fewer shots on goal, on target and off, against France than any of Croatia, Uruguay (minus 50% of their attack), a disjointed Argentina, and even little Peru managed. If he can solve that issue, which was apparent when they were held to a goalless draw by a Ronaldo-less Portugal in the warm up games, they will have a last chance of glory at the Euros in 2 years time.

Although I know you've predicted he will be elsewhere by then!

Actually, I agree with the first part of your theory! Roberto had the good sense to give the 'strong characters' in the team their head.
...nope, he managed those divas expertly because they were useful, and he shipped out a divvy like Nainggolan because he was a disruptive force. If only he'd done the same here at Everton we wouldn't have the pile of useless arl arses littering the dressing room even now.
As for his predecessor, Wilmots, he steered a promising but youthful side to the quarter-finals, just one game less than Roberto. I don't think anyone would argue that in the 4 years since then the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne, and Lukaku, to name just three, have become much more complete players, at or close to the peak of their careers.
Wilmots was a dullard in the same manner that Moyes was a dullard. If you think he could have outwitted Brazil then good luck to you.
Once Roberto returns from his well-earned holiday, I'm sure he will quietly sit down and try to analyse why this wonderful attacking team managed fewer shots on goal, on target and off, against France than any of Croatia, Uruguay (minus 50% of their attack), a disjointed Argentina, and even little Peru managed. If he can solve that issue, which was apparent when they were held to a goalless draw by a Ronaldo-less Portugal in the warm up games, they will have a last chance of glory at the Euros in 2 years time.

Although I know you've predicted he will be elsewhere by then!
He'll probably want to reflect more on the fact that Belgium were the most fluid team in the competition who scored the most goals in the tournament and then were faced with the eventual winners who realised they were second best to Belgium so stuck 11 men behind the ball nearly all the game.

I'm still counting bodies in this thread. They're ll over the place. Someone help me count them.

...nope, he managed those divas expertly because they were useful, and he shipped out a divvy like Nainggolan because he was a disruptive force. If only he'd done the same here at Everton we wouldn't have the pile of useless arl arses littering the dressing room even now.

Wilmots was a dullard in the same manner that Moyes was a dullard. If you think he could have outwitted Brazil then good luck to you.

He'll probably want to reflect more on the fact that Belgium were the most fluid team in the competition who scored the most goals in the tournament and then were faced with the eventual winners who realised they were second best to Belgium so stuck 11 men behind the ball nearly all the game.

I'm still counting bodies in this thread. They're ll over the place. Someone help me count them.

Don't think that at all, and I've already given Bobby credit for that, although 'outwitted' is an exaggeration; confused more like: 27 shots to 9 doesn't suggest they were completely outwitted does it?

the eventual winners who realised they were second best to Belgium so stuck 11 men behind the ball nearly all the game

And still managed 19 shots to Belgium's 9. Deschamps 'outwitted' Martinez, to use your description.

It's so ridiculous. Like anyone on here would be like 'well I know they owe me £10 million, but I didn't earn it so they can keep it'. Whoever wrote up the contract is to blame.

The person who decided and wrote up such a ridiculous contract was to blame of course. Three years left after the first season and you gave him a new one what a joke was that.

The thing was the club was going backwards and been in a horrendous state for 2 seasons. The point was that El Fruado had no decency to resign. Took £10m or whatever the compensation off the new owner, life is set and he can do whatever he wants. Some news report said he even wanted to take the club to court regarding the compensation was it?

The thing was the club was going backwards and been in a horrendous state for 2 seasons. The point was that El Fruado had no decency to resign. Took £10m or whatever the compensation off the new owner, life is set and he can do whatever he wants. Some news report said he even wanted to take the club to court regarding the compensation was it?

He did, he wanted £12 million for full 3 years on his contract. Eventually awarded around £10.5 million. Don't try to convince me the 'maestro' isn't tactically adroit!

In fairness to him, very few of them ever resign, no matter how big a failure they've been. For Roberto, the £££ he got off us enabled him to take the relative peanuts on offer from the Belgian FA for that job.

The person who decided and wrote up such a ridiculous contract was to blame of course. Three years left after the first season and you gave him a new one what a joke was that.

?
It's a side-effect of having one manager at a club for ages [Moyes in our case], the club's hierarchy forgets how to manage the manager and poor decisions are made, usually a series of them. Same with ManU and you would predict the same for Arsenal.
We can all see in hindsight how Martinez caught lightening in a bottle with us season one and was never building anything of substance to take forward, but it needed a canny football man [ie not Blue Bill] to have seen that at the time and subtly put the brakes on any talk of new contracts etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back