2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a massive fan of his think he's overrated, decent but i don't see what a lot of our fans see even at CB
He has some arrogance about him in a way were he thinks he is better than what he is.

For me he's 4th choice CB and 2nd choice RB
Nah, never 2nd choice RB - Coleman manages to be even worse. Santimentallities aside - he shouldn't be starting for us, but he defo will, as it's the Everton way.

Whichever one Carlo feels he can trust at RB until the end of the season, then hopefully get an actual RB until then.

Not great, not terrible last night. Average performance. Has swagger.

Nah, never 2nd choice RB - Coleman manages to be even worse. Santimentallities aside - he shouldn't be starting for us, but he defo will, as it's the Everton way.

Whichever one Carlo feels he can trust at RB until the end of the season, then hopefully get an actual RB until then.

Happened here kid lol

I think he probably is 2nd choice RB at the moment.
Based on everyone being fit I'd rank our players as follows for RB
1. Godfrey
2. Holgate
3. Coleman

However Holgate gets to play because Godfrey is probably more valuable to us in other areas.

Ultimately we need to sign a starting RB in the summer.

I'm surprised at some of the comments about him here.

Competition is never a bad thing, and whilst he made a couple of mistakes last night, i feel he's been fairly consistent in this little run we've been on, and I don't have any complaints. Vastly superior to the now, past it Coleman (unfortunately).

Does he play, we've got too many great defenders, but i don't know whether we can play him, mad that he was our best cb pre lockdown.

....great attitude, plays like the game matters but as I continually say, he’s behind others in the pecking order.

I think where he is now, is more a reflection of where we have got to, as opposed to him.

Hes probably better at CB, but behind the other 3. He was very good when he went inside there against Sheff United. At right back, while hes had some excellent games hes been up and down.

A good squad to man have though and rarely let's you down.

I like a bit of swagger in a player...but only when they have earned the right to have it. I think this is a key season for Holgate. He's at a crossroads. He needs to establish himself or the only way is down. And, really, it's all up to him. Ben Godfrey has come in and been played all over the pitch, and yet he has surged ahead of Holgate in the pecking order. I think the "swagger" Holgate shows is false. The fact he chews gum now suggests a possible issue with nerves. That makes him human. I'm hopeful he will kick on. He has many attributes, but he's not where he needs to be at just yet and the rest of this season is important for his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.