Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
He deserved it today. He was woeful at defending and looked league 1. Same at Stoke. He has regressed.

Playing RWB which isn't his natural positon. Being pulled inside by Coutinho, trying to cover Pennington who was struggling massively (no blame to him either).

For me, Koeman is to blame. I'm all for playing the youngsters but in their natural positions. Holgate in the back three, and Kenny at RWB.

Playing RWB which isn't his natural positon. Being pulled inside by Coutinho, trying to cover Pennington who was struggling massively (no blame to him either).

For me, Koeman is to blame. I'm all for playing the youngsters but in their natural positions. Holgate in the back three, and Kenny at RWB.

Forget positions, the lad is a defender and he was turned inside out numerous times when fronting a player. I am just talking about his defending

Forget positions, the lad is a defender and he was turned inside out numerous times when fronting a player. I am just talking about his defending

He was playing right wing back....take a step back and imagine Jags or Williams playing there. The closest example would have been Stones I suppose and its fair to say he would be useless there.

In terms of defending, remember Coleman at benfica? That was a right back playing left back so logically still in a full back position and should know what to do...yesterday we saw a centre back playing right wing back.

One thing I noticed yesterday was Pennington...he subconsciously stood out for me (possibly because I was wondering how he would do)and I thought he looked atrocious. Many times Holgate had 2 v 1 situations and while he didn't win 50% of them I think he did as best he could.

So to say someone has regressed when they are not only massively out of position but also playing next to Pennington (who had a shocker) is unfair...

Of all the defenders, He is the one id keep and have faith in starting off next season.

Has to start every game from now on until the end of the season. Was played out of position yesterday - a big mistake by Koeman and should have been the right of the three at the back. Even if we go to a back 4 has to start either full back or as a CB, the lad needs more game time.

Clearly can't play RB or RWB but what did slightly concern me was his inability to do basic defending. Needs to just play CB from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back