Matches where we fans have been a 12th man

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorgeousgeorgeEFC

Player Valuation: £25m
Despite all the doom and gloom around the club after Carlo’s departure I really can’t wait to get back to Goodison. I only managed to get to the Grand Old Lady on one occasion during last season and it was a bit rubbish with only a few thousand fans there.

With the inaugural match of our 119th season in the top-flight almost upon us it got me thinking about matches where we fans have made a huge difference by really getting behind our players and making Goodison a difficult place for opposition teams to come to. Over the decades numerous Everton captains have spoken about how we Evertonians can be like the proverbial 12th man when we want to be.

One match that really springs to mind is Bayern Munich in 1985. As Howard Kendall said to the players: “Get the ball into the box, the Gwladys Street will suck the ball into the net.” And we did! Then there was Man Utd in 2005, the result that pretty much guaranteed us 4th spot. It was so deafening in the Lower Bullens I couldn’t hear myself from think!

Despite all the doom and gloom around the club after Carlo’s departure I really can’t wait to get back to Goodison. I only managed to get to the Grand Old Lady on one occasion during last season and it was a bit rubbish with only a few thousand fans there.

With the inaugural match of our 119th season in the top-flight almost upon us it got me thinking about matches where we fans have made a huge difference by really getting behind our players and making Goodison a difficult place for opposition teams to come to. Over the decades numerous Everton captains have spoken about how we Evertonians can be like the proverbial 12th man when we want to be.

One match that really springs to mind is Bayern Munich in 1985. As Howard Kendall said to the players: “Get the ball into the box, the Gwladys Street will suck the ball into the net.” And we did! Then there was Man Utd in 2005, the result that pretty much guaranteed us 4th spot. It was so deafening in the Lower Bullens I couldn’t hear myself from think!

Why is this worded like we’re all depressed about “Carlo” leaving?

That Utd game will forever be the best match in my living memory - atmosphere was unreal that game and served as a reminder of how big a club we are still sides like Leicester could never have an atmosphere like that even with the help of clackers.

The reason Goodison is flat as a witches boob these days is that we have a squad of wasters who dont put any fight or effort in - give it time and allow the manager to weed these players out and bring in more fighters.

The reason Goodison is flat as a witches boob these days is that we have a squad of wasters who dont put any fight or effort in - give it time and allow the manager to weed these players out and bring in more fighters.
To be fair we’ve had rubbish players and wasters before but the crowd has still done its bit. I’m thinking of the Wimbledon game. And the Coventry game. The crowd got behind the team in those games and helped us get the result we needed.

I think it’s a cop out for us as blues to say “Well, a couple of the players aren’t trying hard so we don’t have to play our part as supporters.”

That’s almost kopite-esque.

Status
Not open for further replies.