Media relishing Everton’s demise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's look at some other biggish clubs that have had spells outside the top division in England. - City, Newcastle, Leeds, Villa etc. Not one of them can boast the achievements of Everton - Liverpool were close to our achievements at the time of their last relegation but they had a lower profile back then and certainly they didn't resonate around the world in the manner of Italian prisoners of war who couldn't speak English but could say "Dixie Dean".

You could make a case out for the comparison with the demoted Rangers - every one bar their own fans thought it hilarious they had drop to Level 4.

And, without a doubt, we will become the most storied team in English football to be relegated (maybe world football if one ignores Rangers accident and the reality of a "2 team league" in Scotland)

So that's what everyone else is enjoying - the prospect of a 40,000 stadium (52,000 plus in 2024) hosting Level 2 football and a true giant of football on its backside.

Maybe we have to accept our wounds with grace and work out a way back. Certainly I don't want another season as bad as this if we survive. I can't remember Everton being this bad, week-in week-out.

Geordies certainly enjoying our troubles from what I see. I spent 10 minutes on Twitter yesterday and it felt deeply unpleasant honestly. Would have expected nothing less of the RS, but it felt like a lot of hate out there.

I won't do so again and would advise others to stay off it too. It's not good for your mental health.

Let's look at some other biggish clubs that have had spells outside the top division in England. - City, Newcastle, Leeds, Villa etc. Not one of them can boast the achievements of Everton - Liverpool were close to our achievements at the time of their last relegation but they had a lower profile back then and certainly they didn't resonate around the world in the manner of Italian prisoners of war who couldn't speak English but could say "Dixie Dean".

You could make a case out for the comparison with the demoted Rangers - every one bar their own fans thought it hilarious they had drop to Level 4.

And, without a doubt, we will become the most storied team in English football to be relegated (maybe world football if one ignores Rangers accident and the reality of a "2 team league" in Scotland)

So that's what everyone else is enjoying - the prospect of a 40,000 stadium (52,000 plus in 2024) hosting Level 2 football and a true giant of football on its backside.

Maybe we have to accept our wounds with grace and work out a way back. Certainly I don't want another season as bad as this if we survive. I can't remember Everton being this bad, week-in week-out.
Think that title belongs to Manchester United , won the european cup five years previously and still had some of that squad playing for them

Geordies certainly enjoying our troubles from what I see. I spent 10 minutes on Twitter yesterday and it felt deeply unpleasant honestly. Would have expected nothing less of the RS, but it felt like a lot of hate out there.

I won't do so again and would advise others to stay off it too. It's not good for your mental health.
Indeed do avoid much. Some instances where i cant, just take it on the chin, recently the football has been better for me, despite some results, its still our own fate.

Think that title belongs to Manchester United , won the european cup five years previously and still had some of that squad playing for them
Yep, perhaps I meant currently (if we go down) of all teams not in their top divisions, though United had won the same number of league titles as us in the early 70s.

I felt a bit of sympathy for villa , forest and Leeds when they went down. Just laughed when the barcodes went down.

I’ve always viewed villa as on a par with us - founder members, both home to a historic stadium, boast a European cup whilst we have a couple more titles. The others not so much.

Newcastle fans do hate us.

Some examples of number of relegations (number of top flight titles in brackets)

Leicester 12 (1)
Norwich 11
Man City 11 (7)
Burnley 11 (2)
Wolves 11 (3)
Brighton 9
Brentford 8
Watford 7 (up to last season)
Leeds 7 (3)
Palace 7
Villa 6 (7)
Newcastle 6 (4)
Chelsea 6 (6)
Man Utd 5 (20)
West Ham 5
Spurs 4 (2)
Southampton 4
Liverpool 3 (19)
Everton 2 (9)
Arsenal 0 (13)

Several have been demoted to Tier 3 (including Villa, Leeds, Wolves, Burnley, City) and lower.

if we stay up then that’s all that matters

I think the media probably want a close fight but we stay up

we bring in more eyes than Leeds and especially Burnley do

Status
Not open for further replies.