Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Hi everyone. Hope you're all keeping warm in the snow if it's dropped where you are. Today I've been pinned down and snogged by the dog (tongues and all), blasted in the face by icy hail, soaked in the rain and covered in mud by mine and other people's dogs. Other than that, just a quiet day. About to cook a Friday evening chilli if I can be asked.

Have a good weekend everyone. UTFT 💙
Chilli recipe please and thank you Rich.

Weather was a bit strange for us. We weren’t too bad but 20 mins away was significant.

Chilli recipe please and thank you Rich.

Weather was a bit strange for us. We weren’t too bad but 20 mins away was significant.
Hi @Armaghtoffee , here's my chilli recipe:

Spices, freshly ground where applicable, quantities measured by eye:
Cumin, coriander seeds, turmeric, paprika, chilli powder, oregano

Your beef 🍖- I think brisket is best for chilli and slow cook it, but if not I use steak mince, browned and fat drained because I'm intolerant to the fat due to IBS.

Start by saute your onions, garlic, shallots, fresh chili's. Get a bit caramelised in the pan for flavour. Take off the heat, chuck in your spices and leave them for a minute until aromatic.

Then the meat goes in with some tinned tomatoes, Worcester sauce, chilli sauce if you like and beef stock. Cover and reduce it down.

Then I put in the tinned kidney beans you can buy in chilli sauce (just in case I haven't already got enough chilli flavour!). You're just warning them through really.

That's it, I like to serve with rice and nachos and home made guacamole (avocado mashed up with lime juice, raw garlic, raw fresh chilli).

Lush Friday / Saturday dinner imo!!

💙

Hi @Armaghtoffee , here's my chilli recipe:

Spices, freshly ground where applicable, quantities measured by eye:
Cumin, coriander seeds, turmeric, paprika, chilli powder, oregano

Your beef 🍖- I think brisket is best for chilli and slow cook it, but if not I use steak mince, browned and fat drained because I'm intolerant to the fat due to IBS.

Start by saute your onions, garlic, shallots, fresh chili's. Get a bit caramelised in the pan for flavour. Take off the heat, chuck in your spices and leave them for a minute until aromatic.

Then the meat goes in with some tinned tomatoes, Worcester sauce, chilli sauce if you like and beef stock. Cover and reduce it down.

Then I put in the tinned kidney beans you can buy in chilli sauce (just in case I haven't already got enough chilli flavour!). You're just warning them through really.

That's it, I like to serve with rice and nachos and home made guacamole (avocado mashed up with lime juice, raw garlic, raw fresh chilli).

Lush Friday / Saturday dinner imo!!

💙
I am loving that Rich and will give it a go. Proper comfort food.

Morning all, hope you have a good weekend and try not not let the blues affect it too much.

Going back to air fryers, I might order one today. Anyone got any recommendations of good ones? ;)
Bought this the other day, only used it once so cant give an opinion as yet but son has one and he says it’s brilliant. Expensive but well worth it.

Bought this the other day, only used it once so cant give an opinion as yet but son has one and he says it’s brilliant. Expensive but well worth it.
That's what we have - it's brilliant and has pretty much replaced our use of the oven and most uses of the frying pan.

We've got one of those. It's got air fry, max crisp and dehydrate functions (I've been saying to myself for years I'd love a dehydrator.... Not!). It is quite good, cooks a jacket potato on about 40 mins with a nice crisp skin. Otherwise we've mainly used it for stuff like sausages, breaded fish, cooks them fine. Got to keep checking them and give them a shake in the case of the sausages.

Hello everybody. It was -7 here yesterday morning. My car refused to start. Eventually got it going when the temperature went up and took it to the garage. Apparently my glow plugs were not glowing and needed replacing. All sorted now. I am £120 poorer. The mechanic was less than impressed when I referred to them as glow sticks. Today we have had snow pretty much all day. it isn't lying though so that's a bonus.

@Billy Dean get an air fryer, I've had one for about 6 months and I absolutely love it. Way quicker than the oven. Happy belated birthday to your daughter @Ducans elbow . I'd love to be 24 again!

@Barnfred 55 and @Armaghtoffee how I agree about St Paddy;s night in Liverpool. Had some amazing nights out - usually starting in the Irish Centre. The night of the Grand National was always another good night to make new Irish friends. I was very impressed with your gallantry towards the old lady Fred even if she was a red..

Hasn't been a great day today. Mr F came home and told me he's being laid off from Monday. He's been working for the council for about two and a half years but always on a temporary contract. They are not renewing any of the temps contracts. So not good. I'm hoping it might be because it is the end of the financial year and once the new one starts they will re-employ him. He said his boss was furious because he is losing 4 people. Anyway we've had a bit of a discussion and one of the options is, if he can't get another job, that he retires. He's got a decent pension from a previous employer that he was due when he is 65 so taking it a couple of years early should not reduce it by too much. There is of course a caveat. If he retires and I continue to work, then he has to do the washing and the cleaning' learn to cook and not lie on the couch watching re-runs of Dad's Army all day! I reckon he'll have a job next week with those conditions attached!

We haven't heard from @fandjango for a while - hope you're OK. Hope you are still feeling good @Terrarian.
@anjelikaferrett I’m here lovely mascoteers life has been a challenge to balance but I’m here and I’m well I’ll be settled back at home and posting daily nonsense soon …then you’ll be wishing I never came back
In the mean time I’m at the pub in my village waiting for the game

Attachments

• EEEE03C5-635F-49B2-868C-B411CC88BC37.webp
    EEEE03C5-635F-49B2-868C-B411CC88BC37.webp
    783.7 KB · Views: 5

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back