Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day, another agenda driven moan by davek.

It's beyond tedious tbh.

I'm out.

Schneiderlin is a cracking acquisition btw, delighted with this piece of business. Combined with Gana we'll have a deep midfield pairing as good as anything in the division.

Not splitting hairs but they won't be anything near to Matic and Kante imo.
You said pairing specifically, I know, but there is also the 3 at Utd who look brilliant at the mo.

Agree though, it's going to be a very decent pairing

Bolasie was our only creative player when fit and with better players around him and us not needing to completely rely on him to create everything on his own would have seen him flourish I think. Gutted he got that injury and I'm not sure he'll come back from it but ok this is football.

Are you Ronald Koeman in disguise? :)

So.....what.....this is now a bad signing? An average player at best and we should not have spent money on him? Should have waited for a sicknote player to come back as he's twice the player Snides is? Jeez....what a load of tosh, have a bloody word with yourselves.

I'm not bothering to traipse through the thread, but are some people actually saying GIBSON is a better bet than Schneiderlin?!?!

Blistering Barnacles!!!

I reckon old darlek here has a point. We should wait and see if Besic can claim a regular starting place. Besic so far has proven quite durable but in the off chance he breaks down. We can either depend on Barry's wizened legs, a couple of youngsters, or some other pleb off the physios table.

If all the above fails, we can look to buy in Feb or Mar.

Sounds good. I'm on the darlek bandwagon.

He joined the club for 2/3 years now and always get injury. Seems like he will never get fit.

I reckon old darlek here has a point. We should wait and see if Besic can claim a regular starting place. Besic so far has proven quite durable but in the off chance he breaks down. We can either depend on Barry's wizened legs, a couple of youngsters, or some other pleb off the physios table.

If all the above fails, we can look to buy in Feb or Mar.

Sounds good. I'm on the darlek bandwagon.

I'm a fan of Besic, but his 2 full seasons with us, show the following appearances / goals

2014–15 Premier League 23 0
2015–16 Premier League 12 0

And this season, he might be available for 10 - 15 games? Even if you were to keep him, and consider him first choice, history would suggest we'll only have him available for half the seasons games at best, so you'd need another player as backup.

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the sense he's just gonna be one of those players who's never fit.

Schneiderlin is a good signing, ready-made replacement for Barry, and 5 years younger than Barry was when we got him.

Don't bite mate, some of what he posts is fair enough but most of it is contentious for the sake of it. You can bet your bottom dollar that if we had missed out to WBA on Schned the tune would be very different. You can't have a sensible exchange with a moving target, things will calm again in time.
Sensible post. Too many people overreacting to someone with a different opinion.

Guten Morgan: Schneiderlin must prove himself again

Date published: Wednesday 11th January 2017 11:03

Morgan-Schneiderlin.png

“When I signed for Manchester United, I wanted to play every single match, to perform well all the time,” Schneiderlin told French newspaper L’Equipe in May 2016. “I am therefore not totally satisfied. I am not happy, I am in between.”

In hindsight, that was as good as it got. From disappointment at starting 25 league games in his first season to disillusionment at being abandoned by Jose Mourinho. Seven months on, Schneiderlin will become the first high-profile departure of the Mourinho era. Five minutes against Arsenal and Bournemouth and a single minute against Swansea represent the midfielder’s entire Premier League work all season. While supporters cheered Bastian Schweinsteiger’s cameo against West Ham in November, Schneiderlin has been shuffled out of an Old Trafford side door.

If Mourinho’s mind had not already been made up, the final decision came after Schneiderlin started in Europa League defeats against Feyenoord and Fenerbahce in September and November. In each case, Schneiderlin was joined by Ander Herrera and Paul Pogba in a midfield that wilted under the lightest pressure. Of that trio, he was always the likely scapegoat.

There is an argument that Schneiderlin was not given a fair crack of the whip by Mourinho, a manager intent on clearing the stench of Louis van Gaal’s slow, ponderous football. Of the ten players signed on permanent deals for a fee under Van Gaal, only Herrera and Matteo Darmian can be truly happy with their progress this season. Some (Daley Blind and Marcos Rojo) have been used as injury cover, while others (Anthony Martial, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Luke Shaw) have seen chances limited by form and fitness. Memphis Depay will join Schneiderlin in leaving Old Trafford this month, while Angel di Maria did so 18 months ago. They are an unhappy band of brothers.

Yet any claims of mistreatment would be weak; the reality is that Schneiderlin and Manchester United never truly connected. Bought as the ideal long-term replacement for Michael Carrick, the Frenchman failed to establish himself as a key player under Van Gaal and dropped from the radar entirely under Mourinho. Those 25 league starts in 2015/16 masked Schneiderlin being left on the bench for key fixtures: Leicester City (h), Chelsea (a), Arsenal (a), Liverpool (h), FA Cup quarter-final, FA Cup semi-final, FA Cup final.

Given the competition for his place at Old Trafford last season, that says little for Schneiderlin’s form. Carrick was 34, Schweinsteiger struggling with injury, Pogba still in Italy and Marouane Fellaini still Marouane Fellaini. Valued central midfielders just don’t get rested for big games.

The statistics do offer a defence of Schneiderlin’s United form. In the league last season, United took 1.92 points per game when he started (enough to finish ahead of Arsenal in second) and only 1.38 points per game without him, but splitting that into pre- and post-Christmas matches indicates the Frenchman’s role in Van Gaal’s demise: Schneiderlin started in four key league defeats in 2016.

This is a rare move after which all parties should be content. Ronald Koeman publicly implored Everton to complete a deal for his former player, and will be delighted to have finally seen some action from the club’s hierarchy. Manchester United have sold a player for more than £20m for only the fourth time in their history, addressing a recent inability to sell unwanted assets for significant fees. Schneiderlin has a chance to prove all over again that he is one of the finest central midfielders in the Premier League. There was a reason that United paid £25m in 2015, and surprised nobody in doing so.

Everton may just be the perfect rehabilitation centre for a central midfielder down on his luck. At Southampton, Ronald Koeman used a 4-2-3-1 formation in which a combative central midfield pair were key to the team’s success. Southampton remained compact when out of possession, Schneiderlin and Wanyama shielding a defence that conceded only 33 league goals.

No player in the Premier League that season made more tackles and interceptions per 90 minutes than Schneiderlin. Even in 2015/16, he ranked third for tackles at Manchester United despite ranking seventh for minutes played. In his final three years at Southampton, no Premier League player made more tackles.

This season, Everton are the joint-highest tacklers in the Premier League following Koeman’s arrival, but the Dutchman has struggled to mirror his Southampton system with Everton’s personnel. Idrissa Gueye is enjoying Koeman’s 4-2-3-1, but the the workload is finally proving too much for an ageing Gareth Barry. In 2014/15, Schneiderlin tackled every 22.76 minutes and intercepted every 34.68. Barry’s averages this season are 29.34 and 59.96 minutes respectively, but he is slowing down. Schneiderlin’s arrival would give added protection for the defence, and allow Seamus Coleman and Leighton Baines to attack without leaving their side vulnerable to the counter-attack.

Schneiderlin is not just a firefighter. Of all the central midfielders to complete 1,000 or more passes in 2014/15, only three had a higher pass success than his 89.3%. That statistic indicates both an eye for the artistic and a willingness to play the water carrier role, taking the ball from a central defender or full-back and passing it simply into the feet of an attacking midfielder. Ross Barkley may be an indirect beneficiary of Schneiderlin’s arrival,

‘Six years of an amazing journey’ may have been ‘DESTROYED’ at Southampton, or so the angry tweet read, but 15 months in Manchester did just as much damage to Schneiderlin’s reputation. At Everton, under the wing of an old friend, he has a shot at redemption. There is no shame in thriving as a bigger fish in the smaller pond. A failed dream move doesn’t have to spell long-term disaster.

Daniel Storey

Yes he was hit and miss but he created opportunities for our players. Since he injured himself we have missed that bit of excitement, only player that done anything remotely exciting was Gerry when he tore the Leicester full back a new one and set Lukaku up. I honestly believe if he had other players who could create clear opportunities for our players he would be better. Hell even if he was playing with Davies I think you would see an improvement in his play
The original suspicion was that he'd be a chicken with no head. That was borne out in spades.

I'm a fan of Besic, but his 2 full seasons with us, show the following appearances / goals

2014–15 Premier League 23 0
2015–16 Premier League 12 0

And this season, he might be available for 10 - 15 games? Even if you were to keep him, and consider him first choice, history would suggest we'll only have him available for half the seasons games at best, so you'd need another player as backup.

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the sense he's just gonna be one of those players who's never fit.

Schneiderlin is a good signing, ready-made replacement for Barry, and 5 years younger than Barry was when we got him.

we have to face facts, the lad is made of faag-ash!

I'd be fairly happy with Gana, Schneiderlin, Besic, Davies and whoever else comes through the U23s. Hopefully we won't have to rush Besic back which has been a bit of the case after previous injuries, and he can be at least 100% before he's back in the squad.
Barry will hopefully only be cover in extreme cases from now on, Cleverley and Gibson can be moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back