Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I just wonder where one would play.

Thinking we have a flat back 4, Schneiderlin/Gueye in CM and 2 wide players. Beyond that, RK appears to like a supporting forward playing close to Lukaku (Calvert- Lewin or Belfodil perhaps). I wonder if there will be a place for a 'forward CM' (in the Barkley mould) unless you are talking about the supporting CF.
No I meant an AM mate.

Don't get me wrong I am pro Morgan and Gana, but won't it leave us lacking in supplying the CF?

No I meant an AM mate.

Don't get me wrong I am pro Morgan and Gana, but won't it leave us lacking in supplying the CF?

....he clearly wants his CMs to do more than sit in front of the back 4. At the moment, I don't think there'll be an attacking CM position. Perhaps the wide midfielders will have more of a creative role.

I might be wrong but I'm thinking the mid-80s team model. Graeme Sharp with a support striker (Lineker, Gray) two CMs hunting in a pack all over the pitch (Bracewell/Reid) and wide players who created and scored (Steven/Sheedy).

Last edited:
No I meant an AM mate.

Think the plan is to have Morgs/Gana as two of a three, with Barkley filling in a more creative role from deep.

Barkley seems to be freed up by having energetic players around him, so hopefully this works.

....he clearly wants his CMs to do more than sit in front of the back 4. At the moment, I don't think there'll be an attacking CM position. Perhaps the wide midfielders will have more of a creative role.

I might be wrong but I'm thinking the mid-80s team model. Graeme Sharp with a support striker (Lineker, Gray) two CMs hunting in a pack all over the pitch (Bracewell/Reid) and wide players who created and scored (Steven/Sheedy).
Think the plan is to have Morgs/Gana as two of a three, with Barkley filling in a more creative role from deep.

Barkley seems to be freed up by having energetic players around him, so hopefully this works.
I'm thinking back 4, two wingers, two DM, a Beardsley/Rooney type then Lukaku.

Or back 3 with Baines and Coleman up and down the sides as needed?

...that would leave one of the wide positions very exposed and a very narrow attacking shape with Lukaku isolated. Not saying you are wrong, but RK was quoted as saying he wanted Barkley 'closer to Lukaku'. That for me suggests a support striker rather than a more conventional creative midfielder.

We'll see.

I'm thinking back 4, two wingers, two DM, a Beardsley/Rooney type then Lukaku.

Or back 3 with Baines and Coleman up and down the sides as needed?

...yep, I'm with you on the Beardsley, Rooney type. I see them as more of a support striker rather than a conventional attacking midfielder but I think we're talking the same thing. Only additional point, Calvert-Lewin and Delfodil are not in the Rooney/Beardsley mould. As you say, we'd have to bring that type in (Barkley's position has to be in doubt).

...that would leave one of the wide positions very exposed and a very narrow attacking shape with Lukaku isolated. Not saying you are wrong, but RK was quoted as saying he wanted Barkley 'closer to Lukaku'. That for me suggests a support striker rather than a more conventional creative midfielder.

We'll see.

Hmm.

I was thinking along the lines of a 4-3-3 he utilised at Saints, with two wingers that are basically wide forwards (the signings of Valencia, Lookman, interest in Belfodil and possibly the signing of Depay would suggest this is the template).

i.e.

GK

FB - CB - CB - FB

CM - CM - CM

WF - ST - WF

...yep, I'm with you on the Beardsley, Rooney type. I see them as more of a support striker rather than a conventional attacking midfielder but I think we're talking the same thing. Only additional point, Calvert-Lewin and Delfodil are not in the Rooney/Beardsley mould. As you say, we'd have to bring that type in (Barkley's position has to be in doubt).
It would cast doubt over Ross aye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back