MOTD

IMG_0042.webp

Oh my word! That's put the kibosh on MotD's 60th birthday celebrations.
Pretty understated celebrations anyway. It seems to me that the BBC are convinced football only started in 1992 anway and the glory days of MOTD have been consigned to the dustbin. They never re-run the classic shows with Jimmy Hill in the way ITV promote their marvelous catalogue of Big Match seasons. And for this summer's Euros, the BBC had a series on iPlayer of classic archive matches from the tournament's history...with nothing shown prior to 1992. It's as if Platini, van Basten, and Panenka never ever existed...

Pretty understated celebrations anyway. It seems to me that the BBC are convinced football only started in 1992 anway and the glory days of MOTD have been consigned to the dustbin. They never re-run the classic shows with Jimmy Hill in the way ITV promote their marvelous catalogue of Big Match seasons. And for this summer's Euros, the BBC had a series on iPlayer of classic archive matches from the tournament's history...with nothing shown prior to 1992. It's as if Platini, van Basten, and Panenka never ever existed...
Big Match is my favourite football programme. Football was real back then. I like the way players clattered into each other on a mud bath pitch, got up and limped away to run off their injuries.
Also the great Denis Law had a role doing a round-up of matches - like a proper reporter - not lounging about on a couch in a horrible shirt and tight trousers.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back