Moyes and his financial restraints - Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko93

Player Valuation: £35m
I've heard a few things in the past, about the tight financial restrictions Moyes had in his days here, but I have also heard a few other, slightly conflicting stories. One or two being that on occasion, Moyes had the money to spend, but was too cautious to do so. I have also heard that it was Moyes who implemeted the 'fairly' strict wage cap, as he saw it as a way of keeping a better level of parity and 'in it together' attitude throughout the club.

I think it would be interesting now, to see if Martinez blows that out of the water, or whether he will in fact be instructed to keep to the way of dealing in terms of wages etc. as we did through the Moyes era.

What I hope happens is that Kenwright allows Martinez to do things his own way, rather than doing what I fear, which is, "This is how David used to do it, and it works, continue please". We need a complete fresh start now.

I think Moyes having no money to spend was always a half truth. Fellaini cost £15m, Yakubu £11m, Bilyaletdinov £9m, and they're just for starters, not including all his bargain buys.

I liked Moyes, but I feel the 'no cash' statement was a decoy he hid behind a bit.

Sometimes he did have money, he just spent large amounts unwisely.

I think Moyes having no money to spend was always a half truth. Fellaini cost £15m, Yakubu £11m, Bilyaletdinov £9m, and they're just for starters, not including all his bargain buys.

I liked Moyes, but I feel the 'no cash' statement was a decoy he hid behind a bit.

Sometimes he did have money, he just spent large amounts unwisely.

Spot on. How we'd kill for that £9m he spent on Bilyaletdinov now.

What I don't think can be argued is that Moyes had money and chose not to spend it, or kept wages low(er) on purpose. You only have to look at the financial accounts for every year of his time as manager to see how stretched we were.

Lol so Moyes was offered money to spend but was too cautious, he also had loads of money to spend and refused to increase wages.
Ahh why not, give up trying to make sense of the things people are hearing about Moyes now he's left.

I heard a few things like this, such as he was supposed to have had a deal agreed for Bony in the Jan window but pulled out and then we bought no one at all, same with Fer of course though perhaps for good reason if he failed a medical.

Either way I can't really see The Spanish One start throwing around stacks of cash but we shall see!

Well we got 5 of it back.. so only a 4 mil loss really.. Not exactly Keane at the reds is it? Only time Moyes lost us anything of note was Yak and he got a serious injury.

Well we got 5 of it back.. so only a 4 mil loss really.. Not exactly Keane at the reds is it? Only time Moyes lost us anything of note was Yak and he got a serious injury.

Yakubu only really had one good season though.

The wage structure idea in the OP I agree with.

I heard a few things like this, such as he was supposed to have had a deal agreed for Bony in the Jan window but pulled out and then we bought no one at all, same with Fer of course though perhaps for good reason if he failed a medical.

Either way I can't really see The Spanish One start throwing around stacks of cash but we shall see!

seriously cant believe why he didnt want bony. we desperately needed a striker and we ended up getting no one and losing a great chance at getting into the champions league

I think Moyes was his own worst enemy on spending. He made a virtue of it by often boasting about how he was able to operate without huge amounts (no doubt with half an eye on prospective bosses elsewhere). He was played on in that respect by a parsimonious board at Everton.

No manager will ever be right 100% of the time. Having cash allows you to make riskier acquisitions and not hurt you as much if it fails.

You just need to look at the accounts to see what he was up against, no one needs to rely on third-hand "backroom" reports.

He really was a terrible burden on us wasn't he?
So far since he's gone he's been poor at:
Transfers
Business
Tactics
Spending
Saving money
Defense
Attack
Midfield
Rotating
Choosing players
Fielding those players
Speaking
Too negative
Too open
Embarassing, useless, inept etc and various others

Now in this thread, he's a money waster that refuses to spend money... go figure.

To be honest its not the way we should of sent someone off who, with a net spend of under 5mil changed us from battling relegation to battling for europe. I just don't get if he's a bad as people make out why he now manages the biggest club in the country, and arguably one of the biggest in the world, and how he made such a massive positive impact on our club.

There are dozens of these threads popping up over the last month and each just picks one point and makes claims about Moyes based on literally nothing of note. This one appears pretty much the same, and its getting really boring and a little bit sad now.

If the wages structure was down to him then fine, I hold my hands up and stand corrected, if it wasn't Moyes though that would be a shame because to be honest we needed to implement one and I hope Martinez doesn't break that concept.

We went 3 seasons without signing a first team player at one point. The fingers of blame don't point anywhere near Moyes. In fact we should be thankful that if it was him that introduced a wage cap and had the discipline to stick to it, which some managers would forget in a heartbeat, and respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.