Moyes and his financial restraints - Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal are about to start making real money. Looking at the amounts available to them - mind-boggling amounts - it's hard to see how we can compete. We really do need a new stadium.

Maybe there's a colonial dimension also? Spain and Portugal and France were the imperial powers in South America and the parts of Africa where boss footballers are coming out of, and they have a natural advantage in attracting them to their culture. Basically Wenger has used his contacts in France to channel talent through from French teams who have a conveyor belt to African talent. Of course that doesn't account for Germany, but they're economy does suck in Turks and Eastern Europeans. We have to buy them, by and large, when they're established players for a lot of money.

If only the Indian subcontinent and Jamaica loved footy rather than cricket....and the North Americans weren't baseball and NFL freaks.

I find this post interesting, in that it brings to mind the counterintuitive fact that the only places where association football is not king are the places spawned by the one country that invented the sport, hosts its most prestigous league, and is probably still its nominal epicenter.

...I think they said on Sky that between 2009-12 Everton didn't spend £1m on any individual. Not sure if that is true, but if it is its an amazing stat.

Yes, it is after the purchases with the Lescott money in Aug 09 (Heitinga, Bily, Distin) until our buys in Jan 12 (Gibson and Jelavic). In between our biggest buy was Gueye - £900000.

I find this post interesting, in that it brings to mind the counterintuitive fact that the only places where association football is not king are the places spawned by the one country that invented the sport, hosts its most prestigous league, and is probably still its nominal epicenter.

Here's a thought: a lot of our clubs (though not Everton) were originated from Anglican clergy taking the game into urban centres. A lot/most of the early British settlers in North America were from nonconformist sects (the reason for their leaving Britain being prejudice from the established Church) and maybe that had an input into football's (soccer) retardation out there.

If that is true, it kinda makes me admire David Moyes all the more.

Me too, being a Everton supporter living in Portsmouth it's plain to see what spending beyond the clubs finances can do, yes Redknapp brought success to the club, but at what cost, players to big for the club in reality on massive wages, won the FA cup and in the top end of the table, but he and the vulchers left a club on the brink of death and VERY lucky to still excist, i want success at Everton like everyone here, but at what cost?

Perhaps, but the British did introduce the game in much of the world outside the empire, especially South America.

If you look at what he spent vs sold, he had one of the lowest spend of any manager in the league for his tenure at Everton

£4m is a hell of a lot for us.

Billy didn work out....**** happens!

The money for his sale bought jelavic, nobody would of cared less about the 4M if jelavic had carried on in the same way he started!!

You win some, you lose some, overall all moyes did excellent in the transfer market.

I remember an interview with moyes saying it was very hard towards the end, even when we had a little money to find players that were a genuine improvement on what we had.

All sounds very petty to me. Like when a bird splits up with you and you in return go around saying she was rubbish in bed!

Maybe there's a colonial dimension also? Spain and Portugal and France were the imperial powers in South America and the parts of Africa where boss footballers are coming out of, and they have a natural advantage in attracting them to their culture. Basically Wenger has used his contacts in France to channel talent through from French teams who have a conveyor belt to African talent. Of course that doesn't account for Germany, but they're economy does suck in Turks and Eastern Europeans. We have to buy them, by and large, when they're established players for a lot of money.

If only the Indian subcontinent and Jamaica loved footy rather than cricket....and the North Americans weren't baseball and NFL freaks.

An interesting point. Our cricket teams have certainly benefitted. And we've also managed to get Sterling and Zaha in such a way.

Re: Its a year late starting but FYI.

You can't argue with that really. Moyes deserves to go down as one of our greatest. I can't see how anyone could have done a better job on such a limited budget.

I dont think that Moyes was offered fortunes to spend on wages, but I'm also told that it wasn't 'solely' BK who refused wage rises, to the point of players being moved on instead.
He was allocating the budget but he didn't control the size of the budget.

He wasn't rejecting a wage increase purely to store money away which would never be spent on the team -- that money just went elsewhere some other time. He thought the money was better spent elsewhere.

Or are you suggesting BK wanted our wages to be 85% of turnover and Moyes said "better stick to 75%?"

The sheer wealth of the prem should mean our clubs are a lot better vs european clubs then we actually are. I mean Psg, Monaco, Zenit, Anzhi, Barca, Real, Inter, AC and Bayern are the only clubs who's spending power even compares to the big prem clubs. Guys like Porto, Juve, Shakhtar and Dortmund should be blown away but they aren't. It comes down to coaching I think. The continent just coaches players better then we do.
Perhaps but it's not just money in that situation. Our 40k is "worth less" than 40k from Porto because they can get 40k and play in the CL. We need to give them 60k a week to be in the mix. If the financial clout of the Prem gave us six CL spots all of a sudden our spending power (even if it was completely unchanged) would give us way more of a benefit than it does now.

Arsenal are about to start making real money. Looking at the amounts available to them - mind-boggling amounts - it's hard to see how we can compete. We really do need a new stadium.
Yeah Arsenal might be closing the door to the CL on us, Spurs and the RS any year now (not that it was ever that open for us in the first place).

He really was a terrible burden on us wasn't he?
So far since he's gone he's been poor at:
Transfers
Business
Tactics
Spending
Saving money
Defense
Attack
Midfield
Rotating
Choosing players
Fielding those players
Speaking
Too negative
Too open
Embarassing, useless, inept etc and various others

Now in this thread, he's a money waster that refuses to spend money... go figure.

To be honest its not the way we should of sent someone off who, with a net spend of under 5mil changed us from battling relegation to battling for europe. I just don't get if he's a bad as people make out why he now manages the biggest club in the country, and arguably one of the biggest in the world, and how he made such a massive positive impact on our club.

There are dozens of these threads popping up over the last month and each just picks one point and makes claims about Moyes based on literally nothing of note. This one appears pretty much the same, and its getting really boring and a little bit sad now.

If the wages structure was down to him then fine, I hold my hands up and stand corrected, if it wasn't Moyes though that would be a shame because to be honest we needed to implement one and I hope Martinez doesn't break that concept.

Have you bought your season ticket for Moyeschester United yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.