Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOT ONE main candidate has come out and nailed his colours to the Everton mast. Why is that? Perhaps no concrete offer to a club to release them has been agreed. But, perhaps, private approaches have been made to Kenwright from several possible candidates (whether currently employed or not) - after all the new manager would be getting a good team in a healthy state - perhaps a manager would want £10M plus (plus much of any money from sales) to add to the squad with a couple of decent players. We generally seem to be a reasonable opportunity for a manager to move up.

If Pereira comes for free (seems likely he would be) he must be number one choice and we're waiting on him to make a decision. So that's the good news (for now) - we're pinning our hopes on a decent manager who comes with no price tag.

Failing that we're going to fall back on the next best option which the board thinks is Martinez - or so people think because he's faced with a chance to move to a better club having been relegated. Just press and broken leg speculation though.

a. VP might say no - maybe he doesn't love BK.
b. RM might not be thrilled to be number 2 choice (hence our silence on these matters) or Peggy might want his Roberta to stay and give him a nice new diamond bracelet.
c. Laudrup might be the (next) choice (if VP rules himself out of the job) since, again, we'd rather not spend £5M plus and let him know he's number 2 (or 3) choice.
d. All other options seem remote - the internal options (Neville is probably the preferred choice) as a fall back.

Compared to Martinez and the question of compensation - there are some decent achievers out there who haven't been approached (apparently). For around £5M we surely could consider Lambert, Hughton, Clarke, Jol (steady enough) and so on - but all we get is "young Roberto".. Maybe he is a stalking horse waiting to see if we're prepared to talk money - perhaps other managers' agents have been alerted that, we'll go to a particular price if VP doesn't come back.

On the other hand perhaps the club isn't going public because that's a better way to do these things. Perhaps Laudrup has been advised we're going to try and get VP and he's staying quiet (would be smart to do so) until that passes.

Okay Martinez fans. Sell me on Martinez without mentioning:

1) Any comparisons to Moyes. Moyes isn't up for the job.

2) The financial restraints at Wigan. I am aware of them. I am also aware he won the FA Cup (just as I'm aware he got relegated).

3) If you want to mention his style of football I'm going to need some more specifics because his teams historically aren't high scoring. Why would I enjoy watching his team?

4) Don't make assumptions. Like "he'll learn from being relegated." How do you know? Lots of managers get relegated and they don't all get better afterwards. You could say something similar about any manager ... I'm sure VP learned a lot from only losing one game in the last two years.

What's his philosophy? Does he like stats? What's the first thing you think he'd do ... like some kind of stamp he'd want to put on the team so it's a "Martinez team?" What's his favourite TV show? You know the important stuff.

I think I understand what you are getting at (that BK wouldn't be willing to or able to appoint someone like VP) but to what end? I'm no BK-fan but there has to a middle ground between "naive hysterics" and Davek FFS. We're not all on the extreme end of either side. Some of us are just having some fun and passing the time while we wait for a new manager.

I think people are barking up the wrong tree that the VP "hysteria" is somehow blurring our vision when it comes to judging Martinez. I was (somewhat jokingly) saying "Martinez out" in 2012 when he was first seriously rumoured as a potential replacement should Moyes leave. The only difference in my opinion on Martinez between now and then is that there are a handful of (potentially unrealistic) candidates who are far preferable for us to focus on as an alternative to the boring choice of Martinez.

Sure I've relatively recently jumped on the VP bandwagon but I have been on the "no to Martinez" bandwagon for quite some time.

... not to mention we've had a decade of "yeah but Moyes doesn't have the finances of the clubs finishing above him in the league" debate and now we have to do it all over again so people can defend Martinez's lousy league record? Ugh. Not that it's not a valid argument to some extent but like Martinez himself I'm bored of it before it's even started.

End of? I didn't realize it was a fact. I just thought that was your perception of things. My apologies.

You are asking Martinez supporters to justify their position while at the same time defining the response that you'll accept!
He'll want a passing flowing game and will hopefully have a close relationship with the chairman. He'll be reliable, likeable and stable and act with dignity. He'll create a positive friendly atmosphere at the club. He's the type of manager that will put his arm over the shoulder rather than lash out or mouth off.

Good reply considering all the rules & regulations lol. Right sorry - I'll try and keep it short but its not a short answer. I've always been a Moyes fan and never thought I'd consider Roberto Martinez as manager of my team. But I'm a realist and yes we're the 6th best team in the 'greatest league in the world' but we can rule out Pellegrini, Hiddink, Biesla and anyone of that class because of our board. They are not ambitious in the slightest and can't offer the 'project' managers of that reputation want. In fact the board are so out of their depth we can most likely rule out anyone like Steve Clarke and Laudrup who both look promising and well set to get a few years experience at their current clubs, before getting a chance at, say Chelsea and Real Madrid.
Importantly, it's the right moment for Martinez to change clubs, its time he moved on from Wigan. He is a nice guy, loyal, cheerful and genuinely seems to be of good character. A football enthusiast who Lineker said on cup final day "never stops talking about football". Maybe its a trivial point but he turned Mcmanaman from a player we released into a player that (to me) looks like he could get into our matchday squad. With this in mind imagine what he could do with the players we've kept on like Barkley and Duffy. He has already worked with one whimsical old dreamer of a chairman so has the potential to not be surprised by Bills annoying ways and instead spend years here developing the club from top to bottom (everyone says continuity is good and we haven't got the money to be doing this new manager thing too often).
Anyone that says 'well what about Chris Hughton?' No, just no.. it's clearly a no. But having said all that Pereira could/would be better (if we are still in with a chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back