Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
UP POMP EH?

3550413387_f45a6ff759.jpg

Mick McCarthy.

He's managed at international level and in the Premiership, good man manager and I think he could probably do a decent job.

Not sure if serious.

Deadly serious mate, he's brought quality into wherever he has been but players have failed to settle, that's the only reason some of his teams have struggled. We could do a lot worse, and not much better

I'm not sure he'd be capable of getting us to were we belong mate (Which is winning trophies again). He's a manager for saving teams from relegation. Not for me mate.

Would give him a chance to be fair. It's that risk you have to take in the end.

Offer me an alternative with a better track record and I'd take a look, but he is simply the best option out there. His eye for young talent is also pretty good, he spotted ebanks-blake at a young age and shaped him into a pretty decent goal scorer.

He probably is decent in the transfer market but being decent in the transfer market doesn't necessarily mean you're a good manager.

Martinez nails it for me, a positive manager who plays positive tactics, even with a crap team. Look at the way he walloped us 3-0 the other week, he got his tactics spot on.

The best alternative would be to have Martinez as manager and McCarthy as assistant.

Interesting and difficult choices when it comes to picking a new manager. Different managers having positives and negatives.

I'd be happy with any manager that does well in the transfer market, positive with their tactics and don't bottle Anfield derbies.

He has won at Anfield before like.

Moyes has never won at any of the 'traditional' top 4 grounds which says it all about his constant negative tactics really.

Exactly, he's got more pedigree at beating top 4 teams than our current manager, he's not a bottler, and because he isn't one of the media darlings it means he's fairly underrated sometimes, but he could definitely do a good job for us.

Good point mate. I would like to see him given a chance.

Just a snippet mike, I dont want to clog up the thread

Bilic was fine to play for Croatia though

When? Prove it. You're just talking **** that you've copied from someone else. It happens all the time, injuries heal, and players feel ok to play through the pain barrier. Prove it I dare you. Dates, facts, physio reports the works. As for him being paid off, that was Everton's decision and compensation is agreed all the time between footballing parties in those scenarios. You're being petty.

Okay, I'll bite.

He made just 5 appearances for Everton in 1998/1999:

Dec 12th, 1998 vs Southampton (h) won 1-0
Dec 19th, 1998 vs West Ham (a) lost 1-2
Dec 26th, 1998 vs Derby (h) drew 0-0
Dec 28th, 1998 vs Tottenham (a) lost 1-4
Jan 2nd, 1999 vs Bristol City (a) - FAC3 won 2-0

He never played for us again after that, despite him having 3 years left on his contract. The club decided to pay him off in July 1999, but he refused to accept the medical team's assessment that he should retire. He was considered unfit to play for Everton, and the club haggled with him for months over his pay off. He was on £28,000 a week at the time, a massive amount for Everton at the time, by far our biggest earner and the equivalent to someone on £70000 a week nowadays. He wasn't playing and was a massive drain on our finances.

He angered Everton in the middle of all of this by reporting for international duty for Croatia, playing the full 90 minutes in their 1-0 win over Republic of Ireland on September 4th, 1999.

Bilic and Everton eventually agreed to a £1m payoff in February 2000, with Everton releasing him from his contract on the understanding he was retiring from football. He reneged on the agreement 2 days later, signing for Hadjuk Split in his homeland, and went on to play 9 times for them in the next year.

This is why people refer to Bilic as 'screwing us over'.

Bilic is also the reason why the infamously stringent 'Everton medical' came into being, leading to the likes of Fulham's Sean Davis a few years later in 2003 failing his medical and Everton not taking a chance on him, after chasing him all summer.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll bite.

He made just 5 appearances for Everton in 1998/1999:

Dec 12th, 1998 vs Southampton (h) won 1-0
Dec 19th, 1998 vs West Ham (a) lost 1-2
Dec 26th, 1998 vs Derby (h) drew 0-0
Dec 28th, 1998 vs Tottenham (a) lost 1-4
Jan 2nd, 1999 vs Bristol City (a) - FAC3 won 2-0

He never played for us again after that. The club decided to pay him off in July 1999, but he refused to accept the medical team's assessment that he should retire. He was considered unfit to play for Everton, and the club haggled with him for months over his pay off. He was on £28,000 a week at the time, a massive amount for Everton at the time, by far our biggest earner and the equivalent to someone on £70000 a week nowadays. He wasn't playing and was a massive drain on our finances.

He angered Everton in the middle of all of this by reporting for international duty for Croatia, playing the full 90 minutes in their 1-0 win over Republic of Ireland on September 4th, 1999.

Bilic and Everton eventually agreed to a £1m payoff in February 2000, with Everton releasing him from his contract on the understanding he was retiring from football. He reneged on the agreement 2 days later, signing for Hadjuk Split in his homeland, and went on to play 9 times for them in the next year.

lol so he plays for Croatia in September 1999, when he's already left the club in July 1999, and that angers you? so this hearsay and so-called knowledgable football fans angry at Bilic for turnign out for Croatia is just a load of tosh as I said, he leaves the club recovers from his injury and plays for his national team 4 months after leaving our club? But that is so evil right? How dare he recover from injry when he's not our player and play for his national team four months later? Yet how many on here are angry at him and jumping bandwagons?

just proves me right all along. sad man

but hey he's a bad bad man is Bilic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back