Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll bite.

He made just 5 appearances for Everton in 1998/1999:

Dec 12th, 1998 vs Southampton (h) won 1-0
Dec 19th, 1998 vs West Ham (a) lost 1-2
Dec 26th, 1998 vs Derby (h) drew 0-0
Dec 28th, 1998 vs Tottenham (a) lost 1-4
Jan 2nd, 1999 vs Bristol City (a) - FAC3 won 2-0

He never played for us again after that. The club decided to pay him off in July 1999, but he refused to accept the medical team's assessment that he should retire. He was considered unfit to play for Everton, and the club haggled with him for months over his pay off. He was on £28,000 a week at the time, a massive amount for Everton at the time, by far our biggest earner and the equivalent to someone on £70000 a week nowadays. He wasn't playing and was a massive drain on our finances.

He angered Everton in the middle of all of this by reporting for international duty for Croatia, playing the full 90 minutes in their 1-0 win over Republic of Ireland on September 4th, 1999.

Bilic and Everton eventually agreed to a £1m payoff in February 2000, with Everton releasing him from his contract on the understanding he was retiring from football. He reneged on the agreement 2 days later, signing for Hadjuk Split in his homeland, and went on to play 9 times for them in the next year.

This is why people refer to Bilic as 'screwing us over'.

Bilic is also the reason why the infamously stringent 'Everton medical' came into being, leading to the likes of Fulham's Sean Davis a few years later in 2003 failing his medical and Everton not taking a chance on him, after chasing him all summer.

He'll probably just ignore that mate

lol so he plays for Croatia in September 1999, when he's already left the club in July 1999, and that angers you? you people make no points at all. you're all bloody crazy bandwagon jumpers? so this hearsay and so-called knowledgable football fans angry at Bilic, he leaves the club recovers from his injury and plays for his national team 4 months after leaving our club?

just proves me right all along. sad man

You can't read can you? He refused to leave in July 199 and stayed at the club until feb 2000, not playing for us but playing for croatia.

lol so he plays for Croatia in September 1999, when he's already left the club in July 1999, and that angers you? so this hearsay and so-called knowledgable football fans angry at Bilic for turnign out for Croatia is just a load of tosh as I said, he leaves the club recovers from his injury and plays for his national team 4 months after leaving our club? But that is so evil right? How dare he recover from injry when he's not our player and play for his national team four months later? Yet how many on here are angry at him and jumping bandwagons?

but hey he's a bad bad man is Bilic.

You're in denial.

and why's he a 'sad man?'

lol so he plays for Croatia in September 1999, when he's already left the club in July 1999, and that angers you? so this hearsay and so-called knowledgable football fans angry at Bilic for turnign out for Croatia is just a load of tosh as I said, he leaves the club recovers from his injury and plays for his national team 4 months after leaving our club? But that is so evil right? How dare he recover from injry when he's not our player and play for his national team four months later? Yet how many on here are angry at him and jumping bandwagons?

but hey he's a bad bad man is Bilic.

It didn't 'anger me', it angered Everton. He didn't 'leave Everton in July 1999', he was under contract until February 2000 when he was released with a payoff with the understanding he retired - an informal agreement he reneged on 2 days later, so he basically lied to EFC officials faces.

The facts are he presented himself as unfit to play for Everton, yet deliberately played for Croatia against Everton's wishes, whilst in the middle of negotiating a 'retirement-due-to-injury' payoff.

Come on lad, it's a cut and dried case that he shafted us. Let's not rewrite history.

Maybe he'd be a good manager for us, but as a player he was a real piece of work.

You're in denial.

and why's he a 'sad man?'

Bilic had injury problems while an Everton player. He played plenty of times in hsi first season, but second season was injured. He is paid to leave to save the club money because they don't believe in him and 4 months later plays for his national team. I didn't say he was sad, I said it's sad that people hold that against him like some small-minded weirdoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back