Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure Stubbsy left after the Cancer clause debacle didn't he? Not arguing with you, but seems a pretty decent principle to want to stand by.

Which would be fine, I admire anyone who takes a stand - except he later admitted he was in the wrong and apologised to Everton for the allegations he made.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/jan/21/newsstory.sport4

Alan Stubbs returned to Everton yesterday with an apology for allegations he made earlier this season, when he suggested he had failed to re-sign for the club because they had attempted to insert a clause into his proposed contract relating to the cancer he overcame five years ago.

The 34-year-old defender has signed from Sunderland until the end of the season and is in contention for this afternoon's Arsenal visit. "I have said my apologies for clearly not understanding the things that were said," Stubbs said. "I now know the club were prepared to remove the clause in the deal they offered me that referred to the testicular cancer issue.

Unfortunately it was a bit late then, as we'd already been knocked out of the Champions League, UEFA Cup, League Cup, were 14th in the league, and had wasted £5m signing Kroldrup as Stubbs' replacement.

Last edited:
I am not going to argue with you my friend. The evidence is overwhelming. That is if you can be bothered to actually look for yourself, I cannot make you. I can however assure that if you do you will end up sat in my seat.

The case against Alan Stubbs (as posted on another board):

- Rather than lead Everton out AS CAPTAIN OF THE CLUB into the Champions League.
Alan decided to push through a transfer request and join Sunderland.
He wasn't pushed by Moyes or offended by the Rooney sale.
He wasn't frozen out of the team.
He was CAPTAIN OF THE CLUB.
He left to get paid a few grand more a week.
Rather than lead Everton out AS CAPTAIN OF THE CLUB into the Champions League.

- He later publicly badmouthed Everton and claimed they'd tried to screw him on a contract offer due to him recovering from his serious illness. The move to Sunderland was a disaster; within 6 months he was back at Everton and made a public apology, admitting that everything he'd accused Everton of wasn't true.

- In May 2004, he called Evertonians 'knobheads' and said that they 'didn't have a clue about football' after Everton crashed to a 5-1 defeat away to Man City (City finished 16th, Everton finished 17th) on the final day, after fans were very critical of the team's performance.

- He advised Wayne Rooney to sign for Man Utd in the summer of 2004.

- He narrated the disastrous Destination Kirkby video:

[video=youtube;eTpzVVsrhRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eTpzVVsrhRQ#![/video]

- He has no first team coaching or managerial experience.

- The Everton U-21/reserve team (under his management) failed to qualify for the Elite stage (finished 4th) and dropped into a lower division for the second half of this past season.

I'd say that's PLENTY of reasons not to want him as manager of Everton Football Club.
He's an Evertonian himself isn't he?

maybe Moyes could still look after us while he manages Utd,
you know the way Hodgson was going to with England and West Brom

we could still pay him the same wage (possibly give him a rise now that he's proven his salt by taking over at Utd)

we could just have round and co taking charge of training/coaching, MOyes could just show up when he is able to and because utd's games are nearly always televised and therefore played at different times to ours then it shouldn't be too much of a conflict

it would save us having to make a difficult decision in who should take over, and also may put us in a slight advantage when Utd want to get rid of some of their cast offs, Moyes could throw us a few scraps from the table so to speak

The market for the new manager is currently very fluid. I wouldn’t pay too much notice to it. It is a remarkably open debate at the moment, which I put down to 3 factors.

1) A quite wide disagreement over the reign of David Moyes.
2) A disagreement about where Everton are currently
3) People not really understanding how Kenwright will conduct the process (as it’s happened infrequently)

If we consider the first point. Clearly the majority of fans think Moyes had done a fantastic job, and is a club legend. However there is certainly a very vocal minority, who feel he could have done a better job. Even within those who support his reign like myself, we can see that there were clearly areas for development.
People’s criticisms include, an unwillingness to play youth, conservatism in formations, an overly defensive style, not winning at top 4 teams, not winning trophies. Those in his favour point out his league performances being significantly above the money we pay in wages and transfers.
At one extreme, you have people who want a continuity. This might be with a similar style of manager (Malky Mackay) or continuity within the club (Stubbs, Weitr or Neville).
Those who want quite a sharp change in philosophy, will look at the areas the club his struggled. They may be bringing in a foreign coach (Tuchel,Pereira) or perhaps looking at a manager who was won a lot of trophies (Benitez).

When we consider the second point, this causes the most consternation. On the one hand, people point out we are an ageing squad, that has over-achieved, is without any financial clout, will be losing their best players this summer, and is on a hiding to nothing.
On the other, you have people who point out, we have a very talented squad, with a first team capable of beating anybody this season. While the funds are limited the TV money, plus a high price for the top players will provide funds which a new manager can add to an already strong squad. When Fellaini has not been fit, Everton have not suffered as much, and 25 million pounds could provide a great opportunity.
However, those who argue against this, point out all clubs will have increased revenue in the PL, so any increase will be cancelled out by inflation.
It is not clear just how attractive a proposition Everton are. Some people, clearly think we could attract people like Benitez, even Klopp, while at the other extreme some think we’d do well to attract Malky Mackay or Martinez. While it’s fair to say one is pie in the sky, and the others are “showing no ambition”, such responses are a little unfair. All fans would like to show ambition, and all fans would like to be realistic. But it is very difficult to fully understand just how attractive a proposition Everton would be.

On the third point, Kenwright, as with most chairman is something of a wild card. He hasn’t done this very often. When we appointed Moyes, we were in a panic situation, heading out of the league, off the back of a recommendation by Smith. The same situation is not occurring, so it’s hard to see how we can get a “read” off this.

As for me, I would like a European coach. The increase in revenue is a mute point for other managers at English clubs, but not for clubs on the continent. Tuchel would be an ideal choice. Lauren Blanc is currently out of work. Other names such as Van Basten, De Boer and the former Basel manager should also be considered.

How any so called Evertonian can serious **** off other Evertonians to the press is beyond me. This is "our thing" and it should go no further. Seriously though stop talking sh*t

There is a roughly 90% chance that any new manager will be next to useless - by which I mean they will be neither better nor worse than having any other random manager in charge.

I'm not just making this stat up, it is a fact measured by looking at the performance of every manager in the top flight over a 30 year period. Only the truly exceptional managers are either better (or worse) than what could be expected by simply looking at the wages they pay out.

Basically we have a 5% chance of a new manager coming in and getting us relegated, a 90% chance of dropping to about 12th in the league and a 5% chance of matching Moyes' performance.

There is a roughly 90% chance that any new manager will be next to useless - by which I mean they will be neither better nor worse than having any other random manager in charge.

I'm not just making this stat up, it is a fact measured by looking at the performance of every manager in the top flight over a 30 year period. Only the truly exceptional managers are either better (or worse) than what could be expected by simply looking at the wages they pay out.

Basically we have a 5% chance of a new manager coming in and getting us relegated, a 90% chance of dropping to about 12th in the league and a 5% chance of matching Moyes' performance.

Nice work that..
A pie chart would help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back