Moyes to sign new 3yr deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you expect us to finish with the squad we have, finishing 7th, 8 points off Chelsea who have an open cheque book is an amazing feat, especially with the start we had.. The players believe in Moyes, it's about time 100% of our fans do the same..

So you honestly though a no-mark Championship manager from Preston would get us into the top 7 times in the league and the Champions League spots once?
We found one once, we might be able to find one again. It would be a risk, but so was Moyes at the time.

Yes and couple that with the fact he has never once brought on a substitute which had resulted in us winning a game!

Uh-oh ... facts. Great post BTW. Can we expect those who whined about this to say "fair enough ... I may have overreacted" or can we expect them to ignore your post entirely and then bring up this game yet again as "evidence" in a month or two as if this reply had never happened and nobody ever set them straight? There is a disease in the way people think about football that your team is definitely going to win: if the manager does something which results in them not winning it's a result of his lack of ability but if he does something which results in a win that's just him doing his job (well of course he brought on "so-and-so," well of course we beat Wolves we should beat Wolves, well of course we beat City but we didn't beat United). There is no "of course" (see also: spoons).

In poker they say the pain of losing is ten times bigger than the joy of winning and you are therefore far more likely to remember the bad beats than the times you won. I think football is very similar.

That's how you have the third best defensive record in the country playing one style but if it doesn't work one time then we "can't handle pressure."

If nobody was saying Everton couldn't compete then nobody was paying attention. We couldn't compete:

1992-93 13th
1993-94 17th
1994-95 15th
1995-96 6th
1996-97 15th
1997-98 17th
1998-99 14th
1999-00 13th
2000-01 16th
2001-02 15th

Unless you meant competing for relegation. If we were bringing guns to those gunfights then the guns weren't loaded.

There is so much luck in Cups. I'm as thrilled as anyone we won one during that period but that aside the 90's and early 00's were an absolutely dire time to be an Everton fan. Let's not forget this was a much easier division -- you didn't have as pronounced a gap between the haves and have nots and there weren't as many haves. Despite that we were horrendously bad and I can't take the way we playing in 1995 and delude myself into thinking that was the way we played all decade. It was fantastic no doubt but by 1997, staring relegation in the face it seemed like a distant memory.

People want to make snide 7th place trophy comments? How about Evertonians, NSNO and all that, celebrating wildly because we avoided relegation on goal difference? Yes it was, in a sick way, a very good day ... but we never should have been in that situation. Best of the rest? We were best of the worst. Champions of the bottom 1/4 of the table.

Some may say "I'd rather have those finishes and the Cup." But that's silly genie in a bottle nonsense. You don't get that clear cut of a choice. If we did that 10 years over again in the 00's we are one unlucky bounce and one injury or two away from no Cup and relegated. That was our level and I for one wouldn't have wanted to ride our luck (we're Everton FFS has anyone accused us of being an overly lucky club?) with the same level squad in the 00's. The idea that some have revised history to such an extent that they look back on that period as evidence that we were somehow a more spirited and competitive team is mind-boggling.

We might lose Baines and Fellaini this summer and the reason we might lose them is not David Moyes. This squad should do better? *This* squad wouldn't be here for a new manager so it's a moot point. I'm sure another summer of rampant transfer speculation about our best players (and possibly losing them and having to replace them) will help us get off to another flying start.

How's the board thread going these days anyway?

Trouble with this sorta post it infers the 90s define EFC that moving from bottom mid table to top mid table and staying there by whatever means possible and never threatening in the cups makes it all OK.

It doesn't, it was a **** period but certain basics like trying to beat liverpool and having ambition still remained.

The fact we tw@tted the much fancied Spurs in the semi and beat Utd in the cup final was a result of such thinking - we will never see those performances in crucial games again under this set up.

The fallacy that "it's the board" alone absolving Moyes really is unthinking nonsense.

BTW, how much luck do you need to beat the likes of Oldham and Shrewsbury?

It's OK to criticise him if it's deserved mate, he won't cry.

So you honestly though a no-mark Championship manager from Preston would get us into the top 7 times in the league and the Champions League spots once?
We found one once, we might be able to find one again. It would be a risk, but so was Moyes at the time.

The point here, though, is that when Moyes was taken, the risk was very much justified given league results. I don't know how anyone can argue that is the case at the moment.

The point here, though, is that when Moyes was taken, the risk was very much justified given league results. I don't know how anyone can argue that is the case at the moment.

But it's also not justified to claim that Moyes is the only manager who can keep us in the Premier League as some people here are wont to do.

For me a significant drop in the gates would vindicate that scenario. It may not look obvious if it happened though due to the 95quid season tix.

Think you may be starting your own bored thread with that 'little' gem.

Were we ****e through that period? Yes without doubt. Were our managers constantly telling us we were ****e, we have no right to have expected to have won at the big clubs or Anfield ever based on what we spent, we'd be lucky to keep hold of our players or that playing a team we have consistently beaten in the past was like taking a "knife to a gunfight"?

I recognize his qualities but I'm not blind to his faults either.

the last line sums it up nicely, there are too many who arent just Moyes fans, they are utter sycophants, and will make excuses for him no matter what.

As for cup comps being all about luck, I doubt people who throw that line out if we won one, sorry I mean fluked one.

But it's also not justified to claim that Moyes is the only manager who can keep us in the Premier League as some people here are wont to do.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that per se. The argument here is that the risk is not worth it because of the limited upside.

If you're to tell me that a new manager will come in with a 50 million budget, I'd care a lot less if Moyes was the manager.

the last line sums it up nicely, there are too many who arent just Moyes fans, they are utter sycophants, and will make excuses for him no matter what.

As for cup comps being all about luck, I doubt people who throw that line out if we won one, sorry I mean fluked one.

Agree 100%.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that per se. The argument here is that the risk is not worth it because of the limited upside.

If you're to tell me that a new manager will come in with a 50 million budget, I'd care a lot less if Moyes was the manager.
They have and do:

A lot of criticism aimed at him is fair do'z but what people fail to mention is what good manager will want to come and work for
Bill Kenwright, if we sacked Moyes I wouldn't bet against us becoming a relegation fighting team in the next 2 years with a Paul Lambert or a Dave Jones, 2 managers who've never done a better job than Moyes in any football season where ever they've been, and that's just to name 2 we're capable of attracting, because guess what no top European coach will be coming here in a rush

Yep, Answered with fantasy..

Yeah i know mate, i could name any manager currently in world football and you'd have an excuse for every single one of them.

"He won't come to Everton"
"He's never done what Moyes has done"
"He needs money"
"He's ****"
"He got *insert team here* relegated"

If you think Moyes is the only manager in world football who could turn a struggling team into a team challenging for Europe with total control over football matters, all be it with a low net spend than fair enough.

But whats the point of asking who other people think could (thats could, not would) do an equally good if not better job when you say every name suggested (and there's been plenty) is fantasy.

"I wouldn't bet against us becoming a relegation fighting team."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueGibbon View Post

These are not the same. I'm not singling you out, but this is how arguments become on a divided issue. Everyone runs to an extreme and the discussion becomes absurd.

"I wouldn't bet against us becoming a relegation fighting team."

These are not the same. I'm not singling you out, but this is how arguments become on a divided issue. Everyone runs to an extreme and the discussion becomes absurd.
It does imply though that Moyes is the only thing keeping us from becoming relegation fodder, which is blatantly not the case. In terms of the quality of our squad, we are easily in the top 10. Understandably some players may feel disgruntled if Moyes did go, however claiming that we'd suddenly become relegation fodder is not realistic.

It does imply though that Moyes is the only thing keeping us from becoming relegation fodder, which is blatantly not the case. In terms of the quality of our squad, we are easily in the top 10. Understandably some players may feel disgruntled if Moyes did go, however claiming that we'd suddenly become relegation fodder is not realistic.

And he has built this squad that isn't relegation fodder.

For me, it's not "oh noes we'll be relegated." It's that there is absolutely no point in taking any risk because there is no upside at all to be had. This squad isn't finishing above 6th without serious investment or a miraculous season.

Yes and couple that with the fact he has never once brought on a substitute which had resulted in us winning a game!

Uh-oh ... facts. Great post BTW. Can we expect those who whined about this to say "fair enough ... I may have overreacted" or can we expect them to ignore your post entirely and then bring up this game yet again as "evidence" in a month or two as if this reply had never happened and nobody ever set them straight? There is a disease in the way people think about football that your team is definitely going to win: if the manager does something which results in them not winning it's a result of his lack of ability but if he does something which results in a win that's just him doing his job (well of course he brought on "so-and-so," well of course we beat Wolves we should beat Wolves, well of course we beat City but we didn't beat United). There is no "of course" (see also: spoons).

In poker they say the pain of losing is ten times bigger than the joy of winning and you are therefore far more likely to remember the bad beats than the times you won. I think football is very similar.

That's how you have the third best defensive record in the country playing one style but if it doesn't work one time then we "can't handle pressure."

If nobody was saying Everton couldn't compete then nobody was paying attention. We couldn't compete:

1992-93 13th
1993-94 17th
1994-95 15th
1995-96 6th
1996-97 15th
1997-98 17th
1998-99 14th
1999-00 13th
2000-01 16th
2001-02 15th

Unless you meant competing for relegation. If we were bringing guns to those gunfights then the guns weren't loaded.

There is so much luck in Cups. I'm as thrilled as anyone we won one during that period but that aside the 90's and early 00's were an absolutely dire time to be an Everton fan. Let's not forget this was a much easier division -- you didn't have as pronounced a gap between the haves and have nots and there weren't as many haves. Despite that we were horrendously bad and I can't take the way we playing in 1995 and delude myself into thinking that was the way we played all decade. It was fantastic no doubt but by 1997, staring relegation in the face it seemed like a distant memory.

People want to make snide 7th place trophy comments? How about Evertonians, NSNO and all that, celebrating wildly because we avoided relegation on goal difference? Yes it was, in a sick way, a very good day ... but we never should have been in that situation. Best of the rest? We were best of the worst. Champions of the bottom 1/4 of the table.

Some may say "I'd rather have those finishes and the Cup." But that's silly genie in a bottle nonsense. You don't get that clear cut of a choice. If we did that 10 years over again in the 00's we are one unlucky bounce and one injury or two away from no Cup and relegated. That was our level and I for one wouldn't have wanted to ride our luck (we're Everton FFS has anyone accused us of being an overly lucky club?) with the same level squad in the 00's. The idea that some have revised history to such an extent that they look back on that period as evidence that we were somehow a more spirited and competitive team is mind-boggling.

We might lose Baines and Fellaini this summer and the reason we might lose them is not David Moyes. This squad should do better? *This* squad wouldn't be here for a new manager so it's a moot point. I'm sure another summer of rampant transfer speculation about our best players (and possibly losing them and having to replace them) will help us get off to another flying start.

How's the board thread going these days anyway?

actually happened a couple of times last season I believe. Anichebe was one of the subs, could have been west brom away I think! Also in the Wigan home game, he brought velious on and he scored the second to put us 2-1 up. Moyes get quite rightly stick for his poor subs but never the praise when he gets them right. Just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back