Moyes wants both....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uefa Cup for me. Arse et all struggle in the Champs League with bigger "stronger" sides than ours so it'd be a bit of a waste of time. I'm not saying I dont want us there but I see it more of a profile boost - more exposure, more cash, better palyers, better squad.

I would choose the uafa cup this season,get a trophy in the cabinet then push on for a regular champions league spot.

Surely we want to finish fourth so we can turn the RS into another Leeds......that to me would be worth more than winning the UEFA cup.....

Also the CL brings more money which in turn could bring more success.

Furthermore we would only have to finish third in the CL group stage to then go into the UEFA so you get a good run.

Furthermore......haven't they changed it so that all 4 EPL teams go straight into the group stages?

if we finish 4th we only go into the qualifiers, and look at last time...

i wud prefer uefa cup and to finish above the [Poor language removed] !

our UEFA ranking has gone up considerably since Villarreal, if we we're too make it to the qualifiers of the Champions league I doubt we'd get someone of their pedigree again.

Surely we want to finish fourth so we can turn the RS into another Leeds......that to me would be worth more than winning the UEFA cup.....

Also the CL brings more money which in turn could bring more success.

Furthermore we would only have to finish third in the CL group stage to then go into the UEFA so you get a good run.

Furthermore......haven't they changed it so that all 4 EPL teams go straight into the group stages?

Do you see your oxymoron here?

Leeds where in the CL and spent accordingly, suddenly went down faster than Oceanic 815.

Liverpool have big loans secured against CL qualification so they would be hurt by that £20m+ taken away from them but it would need to be consistantly kept away from them to really hurt.

We would need to take the money guaranteed by qualification and keep to making progress. We are not going to win the League or CL in the next 5 years without a huge slice of luck and as long as we can keep the faith and keep progressing then.......

Well, in Moyes we have to Trust.

I think Moyes has to say what he did because he's professional so will clearly want to win every game.

In football however I think you have to take your chances when they present themselves. 4th spot is very much up for grabs this season. It's almost labouring the point but we do lack financially at the moment and a decent CL campaign would really inject some funds into the club. When one considers the clubs around us all have reasonable backers you can expect some spending in the summer. Spurs for instance look much better under Ramos and I can't see them languishing where they are next season.

The UEFA Cup is nice and it's both improving our co-efficient and giving both players and manager experience of European football. But beyond that it has limited value. Financially it is quite small, especially if, as seems likely, players are on bonuses for each round they progress to. Look at Boro. They reached the final recently and it hasn't helped them at all. The CL is where its at. We're getting a really decent squad together now and if we did snare that 4th spot you would assume we could bring in some extra quality. Therefore with that plus the experience of playing in Europe I'd be amazed if we didn't at least make the first group stage, and possibly with a bit of luck go beyond that.

We have also shown this season that we can combine a European campaign with a domestic one. You would think next season would be the same, if not more so with any new CL funded additions plus hopefully one or two young lads progressing.

So, for me CL is the main aim for this season. We've had a good run in Europe and look good for the next round. Obviously it would be nice to beat Fiorentina (or Rosenborg) but equally the boys have already done better than I expected in Europe (considering our last foray) so a defeat wouldn't destroy my world either.

You speak good sense, mr Batman (sorry, does everyone know about your other job?)...

I think that the extra cash will be really useful in keeping us afloat, and possibly bringing in one or two extra (class) players to bolster the squad. Moyes isn't likely to 'do a Leeds' and blow a bunch of money on a whole new squad that promptly becomes financially unviable as soon as things go slightly off-track.

We've done well so far, even winning some games while we're playing a bit gash, so I'd say just keep going as we have been, and see what happens. Soon we'll have our main squad back together with a bunch of injuries having had some time to heal, and then we'll have a bit of depth to play with.

I'd still love to see Nev holding up a shiny trophy in May, but whatever happens, we're a serious team now, which is what matters to me more.

It's also worth considering that in a few years we will hopefully be in the new stadium and revenues can pick up from that side of things. If we can find ourselves CL regulars by the time we move in to Goodison II we may find the new girl letting out the belt a bit sooner than we expected.

I`m pleased that after our earlier jaunt into Europe Villareal/Dynamo we have learned as a team.We seemed to have learned how to play in Europe, trying to explain to a couple of Brann lads on Thurs night that we didnt go over there to put on a great show for them we where there to either win or get something to get into at Goodison not to entertain them.
Imo I think the players need a trophy to wet their appitite but yes why not have both?
We`ll see how far we`ve come on 6th March to see if we can have both a cup and 4th spot

They finished in the top 4 last season, spain's CL teams where Sevilla, Barca, Madrid and Valencia.

we want it all !!

say we get both, uefa cup & 4th, would the uefa cup not increase our standing in europe thus avoiding the banana skin of the qualifiers ? personally i'd like to see us hoist that coal skuttle up in may, lets take whats there now and then march forth taking whatever comes our way.

In the 80's in my teens
you realised my dreams
and now the thing thats nice is
your helping my midlife crisis !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back