Mr bates v the Post Office

ITV 1 - Peston last night the last 15 minutes with private eye owner Ian Hislop - was a joy to watch - the owner of private eye took apart the Tory mild & meek MP to shreds - I have been on this from day one - you in an election year are point scoring etc - such a rant - the MP asked him not to talk over him over the post office debate - & Hislop shouted NO - as you made a career by talking over everyone that's what MPs do - you never listen to the people he slated the judges involved Peston looked uncomfortable - the rant went on, and they sadly closed the show down - Hislop hammered the post office & the governments that knew this was going on to the post office post masters - the only person who stated this Horizon system may cause a big problem from anyone who plumped to use it = Labours Harriet Harman..... watch the last 15 - 20 minutes on catch up ITV 1 - absolutely brilliant viewing plus Hislop stated Private Eye will be going after everyone involved who caused this to happen .....

….the ‘scouse’ PO investigator getting very uncomfortable under questioning at the public enquiry this morning.
good, listening the casual disregard they had for disclosure rules meant that this outcome was entirely unsurprising. Disclosure rules are there to ensure fairer trials, it like they are stuck in the 1970s with their investigative techniques.

ITV 1 - Peston last night the last 15 minutes with private eye owner Ian Hislop - was a joy to watch - the owner of private eye took apart the Tory mild & meek MP to shreds - I have been on this from day one - you in an election year are point scoring etc - such a rant - the MP asked him not to talk over him over the post office debate - & Hislop shouted NO - as you made a career by talking over everyone that's what MPs do - you never listen to the people he slated the judges involved Peston looked uncomfortable - the rant went on, and they sadly closed the show down - Hislop hammered the post office & the governments that knew this was going on to the post office post masters - the only person who stated this Horizon system may cause a big problem from anyone who plumped to use it = Labours Harriet Harman..... watch the last 15 - 20 minutes on catch up ITV 1 - absolutely brilliant viewing plus Hislop stated Private Eye will be going after everyone involved who caused this to happen .....
Private Eye have been onto this since 2014 (I think) but the limited circulation of it meant it didnt get good publicity, I'll give that programme a watch thanks

good, listening the casual disregard they had for disclosure rules meant that this outcome was entirely unsurprising. Disclosure rules are there to ensure fairer trials, it like they are stuck in the 1970s with their investigative techniques.

Thought that too.

He gave the impression that he thought he was John Thaws character, Insp Reagan in the Sweeney.

This is what happens when unprofessional outfits, like the Post Office Investigations are allowed to operate outside the established framework of the law and become a law unto themselves.

The speed at which this is unravelling is astounding, there`ll be some very worried people now consulting lawyers about damage limitation.

Last edited:
This inquiry has been going on since 2021. I wish I'd been following it as many others probably do.
Thanks to ITV for bringing the business back into stark perspective or it might have just fizzled out in an inconclusive and anodyne conclusion as I'm sure the post office bosses would have loved!

This inquiry has been going on since 2021. I wish I'd been following it as many others probably do.
Thanks to ITV for bringing the business back into stark perspective or it might have just fizzled out in an inconclusive and anodyne conclusion as I'm sure the post office bosses would have loved!
its quite a sad indictment on modern society that this information was out there for many years but because the majority take their 'news' from Facebook and twitter, it remained below the radar. It took an entertainment show to get the slovenly general public to wake up from their sleep walk and take an interest.

….he must be wishing he was one of the investigators who gave evidence before the TV programme. He’s being seen live on the news, his names is scrolling along the Sky News banner and every word he says is being analysed. His life won’t be the same, those who’ve already given evidence will not be under the same spotlight.

i doubt a TV drama has ever had such a significant impact.

Last edited:
….he must be wishing he was one of the investigators who gave evidence before the TV programme. He’s being seen live on the news, his names is scrolling along the Sky News banner and every word he says is being analysed. His life won’t be the same, those who’ve already given evidence will not be under the same spotlight.

i doubt a TV drama has had such a significant impact.
lets hope that if those who have given evidence weren't as truthful as they made out are hauled back for a second go at it. The PO have come across as a load of self important bullies with a casual regard for the process of law.

just watched it, its a shame they had to cut it short, I would have loved Hislop to have had the chance to finish off that tory blert

lets hope that if those who have given evidence were as truthful as they made out are hauled back for a second go at it. The PO have come across as a load of self important bullies with a casual regard for the process of law.
very similar to the attitude displayed for the phone hacking scandal. everyone passing the buck and no one having any idea...

Maybe I'm being naive here but I would have expected that any solicitor or barrister, who was representing the accused in Court, to have raised the issue of lack of disclosure. The Judge could then have ordered the PO to provide full disclosure.

Maybe I'm being naive here but I would have expected that any solicitor or barrister, who was representing the accused in Court, to have raised the issue of lack of disclosure. The Judge could then have ordered the PO to provide full disclosure.
I guess that can only be the case if the solicitor is aware of something that falls within scope that isnt being disclosed. If they ask the question but the response is that there isnt anything to disclose, that will end that line of enquiry. There has to be an assumption of honesty in these matters by those holding information (otherwise you will have the case, as we seem to have here, of a potential perverting the course of justice).

i doubt a TV drama has ever had such a significant impact.
Closest I can think of is Cathy Come Home

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back