2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's his map for the season where he received the ball.

Cover-1024x611.png

It's like you never watched him.

When Richarlison was playing Gordon was on the right.
Yeah but richarlison won't be playing. He has also been given the number 10.

He prefers the left side and clearly lampard wants him in the 10 role (central).

As an aside, was Patterson crowding him out when they linked up before Patterson assisted Myko yesterday?

The problem with any Wing backs crowding out wingers is more to do with playing a formation that has 2 lots of wide men, where all are required to both attack and defend. Rather than the personnel.

I presume Mykolenko was crowding out our left winger when he scored yesterday inside the box and also when he passed to Dele from the byline?

I think you're wrong about TAA:

View attachment 174860

His concentration levels are one thing back in defence, but his ability to get back behind the ball is unquestionable.

ATM can you see Patterson's heat map resembling that?!
Liverpool play 4 at the back... TAA HAS to get back to help defend in that formation.

In a 5, we should always have a spare CB to cover either WB side, making it less imperative for them to race back behind the ball.

The problem with any Wing backs crowding out wingers is more to do with playing a formation that has 2 lots of wide men, where all are required to both attack and defend. Rather than the personnel.

I presume Mykolenko was crowding out our left winger when he scored yesterday inside the box and also when he passed to Dele from the byline?
Just to follow on, it's also a reflection of our wingers not using the full length of the pitch to get to the byline.

That lad will be torn apart in the PL. We'll need cover for him at all times because he cant or wont play in his own half that much.

If you want to play him as a winger, then fair enough, play him as a winger. I've said that a lot of times. But FFS he cant be used as a FB. He's never in position. We can never play a flat back four with Patterson as a RB. Never.

He is just not a defender. Never in a million years.
It's almost like you have never watched him Dave. This is his heat map from 2020/21 at Rangers.

And that, primarily in his own half, was for a team that won the league and played attacking football.

tp 999.PNG.jpg

Liverpool play 4 at the back... TAA HAS to get back to help defend in that formation.

In a 5, we should always have a spare CB to cover either WB side, making it less imperative for them to race back behind the ball.
That's simply turned around by saying that we cant play 4 at the back if Patterson is in the team.

Dave getting splatted all over the spot here like a cheap hooker.

I think what we've really seen in the thread is an acknowledgement (at last) that Patterson has to be played high up the pitch to get anything out of him and hand him no defensive duties in doing that, and that if we play him we have to avoid playing a back four.

That's at least progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.