2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think that's remotley happened, do you?

More substantially: the positioning on the pitch of Patterson is much more advanced than a normal WB will play. He's basically crowding out Gordon. That represents a problem as to where to deploy Gordon if he continues this (Lampard) into the PL season.

This is why Coleman will continually be preferred, as he makes matters much more simple for Lampard. Seamus can play in a back three as a RWB who overlaps Gordon when he can, but doesn't crowd him out; and he also slots into a back four too.
When, even in his peak has Coleman been effective as a wingback for a sustained period?

Let's see what happens with the next bit of evidence at the weekend. He'll have to pull his weight in defence against a very handy team. That'll give us an idea of how costly playing him high up the pitch in the PL will be or not.

I think what we've really seen in the thread is an acknowledgement (at last) that Patterson has to be played high up the pitch to get anything out of him and hand him no defensive duties in doing that, and that if we play him we have to avoid playing a back four.

That's at least progress.
I don't think we have the team capability to play attacking fullbacks in a back 4.

That's simply turned around by saying that we cant play 4 at the back if Patterson is in the team.
Or in the team instructions, he's told to play more defensively which he can do, or we play a DM who can drop back to become a third CB if required when defending. Nothing is as linear as you're trying to make it and we don't look like playing 4 at the back anytime soon anyway.

It's a myth you've invented that he 'can't' defend. Most of our defence 'can't defend' but have got away with it for this long, not sure why you're singling him out constantly? I prefer to listen to the ex professional footballers who have stated he's good defensively and attacking, and will be a star in years to come thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.