Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a few months between him and Dobbin amazing the difference in the expectation levels.

Yeah we paid for the lid, but if we expected him to be the finished article given his age, background and experience we were stupid.

The thing that troubles me about his signing is, is we didnt seem to clock we were in a relegation battle and need immediate support rather then a slow burner, not the lads fault.

There is a few months between him and Dobbin amazing the difference in the expectation levels.

Yeah we paid for the lid, but if we expected him to be the finished article given his age, background and experience we were stupid.

The thing that troubles me about his signing is, is we didnt seem to clock we were in a relegation battle and need immediate support rather then a slow burner, not the lads fault.
Correct.

Neither FB bought in January have turned out to be good to go.

Kenny's form has been a Godsend.

Correct.

Neither FB bought in January have turned out to be good to go.

Kenny's form has been a Godsend.
Its been a tough move for the lad - i haven't seen it mentioned but hes been what through 3 managers in 8 weeks if even.

We need to hold fire on making concrete judgement on him and my man from Ukraine.

The club environment in terms of settling and stability has been in a manure show.

Its brilliant that Kenny has stepped up, i dont see the beef with lads critising him, if he comes good and gets a new contract hes a little gold mine and Lampard has a record of developing full backs. Hes certainly contributing, i like the way his head hasnt dropped. Id give a deal no hassle.

Its been a tough move for the lad - i haven't seen it mentioned but hes been what through 3 managers in 8 weeks if even.

We need to hold fire on making concrete judgement on him and my man from Ukraine.

The club environment in terms of settling and stability has been in a manure show.

Its brilliant that Kenny has stepped up, i dont see the beef with lads critising him, if he comes good and gets a new contract hes a little gold mine and Lampard has a record of developing full backs. Hes certainly contributing, i like the way his head hasnt dropped. Id give a deal no hassle.

Take it from me mate, Patterson hasn't got a defensive game and his awareness of danger will get Everton into trouble if he were played in a flat back four.

He's got to get out for a loan to find a defensive game.

Mykolenko is purely down to stamina and getting up to PL speed.

Take it from me mate, Patterson hasn't got a defensive game and his awareness of danger will get Everton into trouble if he were played in a flat back four.

He's got to get out for a loan to find a defensive game.

Mykolenko is purely down to stamina and getting up to PL speed.

I think defending is a secondary concern for full backs these days mate, take TAA and Robeston, they are brutal defenders, good players, hybrid players, but essentially greyhounds. These days defending as a full back can be coached, but i think its the attributes clubs go for - or in this lads case what we went for, getting up and down the line, threat and creativity, i think we've said to ourselves the rest can be coached.

Bar someone very experienced or supremely talented like Super Henrick isnt hitting the ground running from the SPL to the PL, its a jump. The kids from Glasgow to, its a tough place, but people from there have deep roots, connections and support, its a tough gig as a 20 year old to leave it, that and the club being a wholly show stability wise since hes joined. Loan might be a thing.

Lets see. At the same age, lads were making concrete judgement on Flash and Dom.

Weve gone from just having Seamus to having three options now and that a good thing all in.

Last edited:
I think defending is a secondary concern for full backs these days mate, take TAA and Robeston, they are brutal defenders, good players, hybrid players, but essentially greyhounds. These days defending as a full back can be coached, but i think ts the attributes clubs go for - of in this lads case what went for, getting up and down the line, threat and creativity, i think we've said to ourselves the rest can be coached.

Bar someone very experienced or supremely talented like Super Henrick isnt hitting the ground running from the SPL its a jump. The kids from Glasgow to, its a tough place, but people from there have deep roots, connections and support, its a tough gig as a 20 year old to leave it, that and the club being a wholly show stability wise since hes joined. Loan might be a thing.

Lets see. At the same age, lads were making concrete judgement on Flash and Dom.

Weve gone from just having Seamus to having three options now and that a good thing all in.
I disagree on Robertson. I think he does well defending. Liverpool's weakenss is on the other side with Terence Trent Whatsisname.

Tierney is another who can defend and attack; as are the Chelsea FBs and City's two.

It can be done. We just have two in the shape of Kenny and Coleman who can do each side but not to a great quality. But they are preferable to a lad with no defensive awareness or game at all.

I disagree on Robertson. I think he does well defending. Liverpool's weakenss is on the other side with Terence Trent Whatsisname.

Tierney is another who can defend and attack; as are the Chelsea FBs and City's two.

It can be done. We just have two in the shape of Kenny and Coleman who can do each side but not to a great quality. But they are preferable to a lad with no defensive awareness or game at all.

Hes a bit better, then Trent Darby defending (Southgates cottoned onto him), but i still wouldn't see him as being that good as a defender, hes a greyhound to my mind. If you watched him at Hull, he really struggled with defending and concentration when he had to under the kosh. VVD and Matip forgive a lot of their sins. I think part of the high press is to protect your full backs, so you can get away with not having great defenders there, but who can support offensive play, its the pay off.

Hes a bit better, then Trent Darby defending (Southgates cottoned onto him), but i still wouldn't see him as being that good as a defender, hes a greyhound to my mind. If you watched him at Hull, he really struggled with defending and concentration when he had to under the kosh. VVD and Matip forgive a lot of their sins. I think part of the high press is to protect your full backs, so you can get away with not having great defenders there, but who can support offensive play, its the pay off.
He's much more aggressive than TT Whatsisname.

But I can actually see us if possible looking at another LB this summer. Godfrey is terrible there; Kenny is a make do and mend LB stand in; Mykolenko might still be all over the place.

He's much more aggressive than TT Whatsisname.

But I can actually see us if possible looking at another LB this summer. Godfrey is terrible there; Kenny is a make do and mend LB stand in; Mykolenko might still be all over the place.

With the two lads i find it hard to judge as January signings is often a poor time to procure defensive signings, i like Mykolenko because i see him as a bit of a snide, i like that it shows, care, resilience and an ability to improve id support that. Hel take one for the team. Remember Utd fans loosing their loads, when Vidic and Evra came in, in a Jan window and they looked gash for the first six months, i think its a tough gig for defenders coming in mid season and just slotting in, especially in a new league. Patterson is a kid, Mykolenko - we know about what adversities he may be going through. While to be fair we've had 3 managers in 8 weeks. So id give the lads six months grace and preseason.

Thought that as well earlier on left full, full backs with Frankly are going to be key and i wouldn't be surprised to see a new left back, have we given up on the French kid on loan in Belgium?

With the two lads i find it hard to judge as January signings is often a poor time to procure defensive signings, i like Mykolenko because i see him as a bit of a snide, i like that it shows, care, resilience and an ability to improve id support that. Hel take one for the team. Remember Utd fans loosing their loads, when Vidic and Evra came in, in a Jan window and they looked gash for the first six months, i think its a tough gig for defenders coming in mid season and just slotting in, especially in a new league. Patterson is a kid, Mykolenko - we know about what adversities he may be going through. While to be fair we've had 3 managers in 8 weeks. So id give the lads six months grace and preseason.

Thought that as well earlier on left full, full backs with Frankly are going to be key and i wouldn't be surprised to see a new left back, have we given up on the French kid on loan in Belgium?
Nkounkou was loaned to get playing experience and add to his game. That's ok to do (and we should be doing exactly that with Patterson) but it's come back to haunt us a bit that decision given the Digne sale and Mykolenko not hitting the ground running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back