2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Branthwaite wasn't trusted by Dyche to be a starter, it was only after Keane's masterclass at Villa.

Garner wasn't played in his actual position until Dyche tried and failed to make the Doucoure/Gana/Onana combo work. Ironically again at Villa in the cup.

He plays younger players but not till we've already lost points sticking with his experienced favourites.
He has also repeatedly pointed out that he has tried not to ruin Branthwaite by giving him any of his excellent coaching. I suspect he hasn’t been coaching Myko either, who also continues to improve. Keane is what happens to a defender after a career of Dyche guidance.

Hard to know the truth. You’d hope they always pick a team that selfishly keeps them in a job. He has played young players when it looks like there is no option, would have have fed JB in anyway? People keep saying Onana is young and inexperienced and that’s why he is often crap, and Dyche did trust him to play regularly.

A lot is made of his playing of Young, but Harrison had gone way past the point of needing to be dropped, Dyche getting blamed for not doing so, but Dobbin and Danjuma out? So it had to be Young. Then puts Harrison back in and it’s Young or Godfrey at RB because all other options are injured. Everyone is terrified when it’s Godfrey.

Has been criticised a lot on social media for some lineups when literally had no option. X was filled with vitriol one game because he didn’t bring Dobbin on, who hadn’t been near the bench for weeks.

Last edited:
He has also repeatedly pointed out that he has tried not to ruin Branthwaite by giving him any of his excellent coaching. I suspect he hasn’t been coaching Myko either, who also continues to improve. Keane is what happens to a defender after a career of Dyche guidance.
Myko has improved simply because he is playing next to a calm head in Branthwaite now instead of Keane who is anything but that.

He made the decision to take Keane out so he does get praise for that but please don't pretend we actually do any proper player coaching at Everton because we don't.

Unless someone works at Finch Farm I don't see how anyone can make such a statement. I would imagine the players would also have something to say about the manager not coaching them. He'll have lost the dressing room by now you would imagine. I think Onana may be disillusioned but I can imagine him being a player wanting a manager who plays ole football.

We played a similar style to the current set up in the 2nd phase of Ancelotti's reign, and all of Benitez/Lampards tenures outside of the odd game here and there.

More than likely we have a squad of players who's strength is not attacking fitba. Fans mistake that as them not being "coached".

I would say Dyche has done wonders for Branthwaite, Mykolenko & Doucoure. He also seems to have done a decent job with Dobbin prior to his injury even if he wasn't getting a lot of game time, he seemed more direct against Chelsea than I've seen him previously.

Unless someone works at Finch Farm I don't see how anyone can make such a statement. I would imagine the players would also have something to say about the manager not coaching them. He'll have lost the dressing room by now you would imagine. I think Onana may be disillusioned but I can imagine him being a player wanting a manager who plays ole football.

We played a similar style to the current set up in the 2nd phase of Ancelotti's reign, and all of Benitez/Lampards tenures outside of the odd game here and there.

More than likely we have a squad of players who's strength is not attacking fitba. Fans mistake that as them not being "coached".

I would say Dyche has done wonders for Branthwaite, Mykolenko & Doucoure. He also seems to have done a decent job with Dobbin prior to his injury even if he wasn't getting a lot of game time, he seemed more direct against Chelsea than I've seen him previously.
A word of advice mate, stick to being a spiritual guru.

Mostly Hearts and Hibs fans, I think they were making a judgement on his 20 odd senior Scottish caps.
And the answer is exactly the same because before he signed for us he'd only started 3 games for Scotland and 2 of them were against Moldova so they have no idea what level he was actually at. What you're saying would be like me saying you I can't believe how much a player has got worse from when I saw them look good in a couple of games on loan in league one because now they don't look that good in the premier league.

He literally has not played Branthwaite in 2 games that he was eligible for. Both of which when he had just came back from PSV previously.

Onana is actually younger than Garner. Garner doesn't play the same role as Doucoure and I would say Gana is a better player than him (or at least more effective).

Him not playing young players and relying on old players is a complete myth really. Currently we are basically playing whoever is available.

A choice between Keane and Branthwaite after playing then dropping Keane for Cody/Mina last season. I know the sample size of Dyche's experienced mates is basically Keane/Young but it's a pattern of bringing them back in and having it backfire.

Onana was already an established first team player when Dyche came in, the only other options was Tom Davies.

Patterson's been available the last couple months but he's opted for a centre-back who can't cross/dribble and Coleman/Young who aren't fit for purpose. Not to mention Dobbin/Chermiti who deserved better than 10 minute cameos when Harrison/DCL/Beto were ineffective until recently.

Myko has improved simply because he is playing next to a calm head in Branthwaite now instead of Keane who is anything but that.
He was injured for most of last season and playing through it. He did an interview earlier in the season explaining he got it sorted in the summer. I’d suggest that’s the main reason we are seeing him much improved.

Shame but it's clear to me now Patterson is not up to the physicality Premier league football. Can't even maintain being back up for two players who have combined age of nearly 80...

A choice between Keane and Branthwaite after playing then dropping Keane for Cody/Mina last season. I know the sample size of Dyche's experienced mates is basically Keane/Young but it's a pattern of bringing them back in and having it backfire.

Onana was already an established first team player when Dyche came in, the only other options was Tom Davies.

Patterson's been available the last couple months but he's opted for a centre-back who can't cross/dribble and Coleman/Young who aren't fit for purpose. Not to mention Dobbin/Chermiti who deserved better than 10 minute cameos when Harrison/DCL/Beto were ineffective until recently.
He couldn't rely on Mina being fit and he wasn't staying beyond that season so I would assume that's why Keane was in the team (same reason Coady wasnt playing too).

I don't get the Keane thing at all to be honest. Out of all the managers he has had he is the only one who has properly (rightly) binned him off yet Dyche gets slated for being one of his favourites. It makes no sense at all.

Patterson has struggled for game time under every manager he has had so far. A lot of that will be to do with lack of experience of course but it could also be that he's actually not that good. Why would anyone play Godfrey full stop let alone at full back?

I'm not convinced Dobbin is good enough for this level, Chermiti, who knows?

Put it this way I don't think Dyche is any better or worse than any other manager in terms of giving youth a chance. Probably doesn't help that we had to sell some of our youngsters to balance the books (and still got punished anyway).

He couldn't rely on Mina being fit and he wasn't staying beyond that season so I would assume that's why Keane was in the team (same reason Coady wasnt playing too).

I don't get the Keane thing at all to be honest. Out of all the managers he has had he is the only one who has properly (rightly) binned him off yet Dyche gets slated for being one of his favourites. It makes no sense at all.

Patterson has struggled for game time under every manager he has had so far. A lot of that will be to do with lack of experience of course but it could also be that he's actually not that good. Why would anyone play Godfrey full stop let alone at full back?

I'm not convinced Dobbin is good enough for this level, Chermiti, who knows?

Put it this way I don't think Dyche is any better or worse than any other manager in terms of giving youth a chance. Probably doesn't help that we had to sell some of our youngsters to balance the books (and still got punished anyway).
That’s such a myth.

At rangers, he was a teenager, behind the (still) club captain, so what else would you expect?
Came to Everton as Benitez got sacked, so he never managed him.

At Everton, behind the club captain, but last season, Lampard selected him every game he was available for, even at the expense of Coleman and then Dyche had him in the team at the end of the season.

Dyche has chosen not to pick him more often than not this season, even after he has had decent games (such as the cup games etc) and regardless of the fact that the other options have also been appalling.

That’s such a myth.

At rangers, he was a teenager, behind the (still) club captain, so what else would you expect?
Came to Everton as Benitez got sacked, so he never managed him.

At Everton, behind the club captain, but last season, Lampard selected him every game he was available for, even at the expense of Coleman and then Dyche had him in the team at the end of the season.

Dyche has chosen not to pick him more often than not this season, even after he has had decent games (such as the cup games etc) and regardless of the fact that the other options have also been appalling.
Its a not myth. He didn't play at Rangers its fine to say he was young and behind a good player - the post you're replying to actually says this too but you ignored that bit- but it doesn't make it untrue so its not a myth. He didn't play in the 2 games Benitez had him or the 1 game that Ferguson had him and Lampard didn't pick him for a full half season that he had him. He started about 7 or 8 games under Lampard the next season before he got sacked unfortunately that was disrupted by injury he might have played a lot more but we'll never know but that one short spell isn't enough to know either way. Under Dyche he played quite regularly from getting fit in April last year to January this year not always starting but playing a lot and then he seemed to totally lose his place in the team for some reason I don't know why. He's been in 24 Scotland squads but only started 12 times. Overall he hasn't had a lot of gametime under any manager thats just a fact you can argue is because he's young and he's had injuries and stuff thats all fine but it is just a fact that he hasn't.