2023/24 Nathan Patterson

I agree. I really like Myko, think he is better than many give him credit for. Hibberts one of my favourite all time players. But we were spoilt by peak baines and Coleman and think some expectations are still too high, considering we are a relegation battling team year on year now.
We demo - unreasonably - believe ourselves to excel at fielding good attacking FBs. But the fact of the matter is that they aren't very common, and a club like ours cant expect to always bring one through or snap them up.

The hibbo shout is a bit rogue I know. But grew up as a little kid thinking it was amazing that I had the same birthday as him so always liked him. Was a solid defender as wel even if absolutely crap going forwards.

Only Wolves scored less than us last season.

Only Sheff Utd have scored less than us this season.

19th and 19th for goals scored then.

Being so poor at scoring goals dictates relegation scrap.

A big part of being unable to score goals is we have full backs who offer absolutely sod all going forward. Not one full back capable of any delivery. Worse, they haven't got the ability to mix it with wingers either to create space.

Mykolenko - 73 Premier League Appearances. 0 assists. I'll crack open the posh champagne if he ever creates a goal - as in, beat a man and put a delivery in which we score from. The lad can't beat a man, or cross a ball with any quality. Dyche has progressed his game by simplifying it and telling him to stay back - he's been better than I expected, but I reckon you'd struggle to name another 3 teams in the league he'd start for.

I'd be starting Patterson at right back now at home. Still play deep, but we've got to start offering a threat against the teams who have to come to Goodison or some pace down the flanks. If not Patterson, I'd even be tempted to lash Garner there - at least then we'd have one full back who can cross a ball for Calvert-Lewin/Doucoure.

Bloody hell.

It was nice when we had it. But we've struggled to scout them and / or refused to compete for them when they become available on loan...Hickey / Livramento for eg.
The hibbo shout is a bit rogue I know. But grew up as a little kid thinking it was amazing that I had the same birthday as him so always liked him. Was a solid defender as wel even if absolutely crap going forwards.

If we could get hold of Hibbert coming through the ranks now we'd be lucky to get him. Imagine having a solid FB on that right side?! It seems an age since we had that.

Only Wolves scored less than us last season.

Only Sheff Utd have scored less than us this season.

19th and 19th for goals scored then.

Being so poor at scoring goals dictates relegation scrap.

A big part of being unable to score goals is we have full backs who offer absolutely sod all going forward. Not one full back capable of any delivery. Worse, they haven't got the ability to mix it with wingers either to create space.

Mykolenko - 73 Premier League Appearances. 0 assists. I'll crack open the posh champagne if he ever creates a goal - as in, beat a man and put a delivery in which we score from. The lad can't beat a man, or cross a ball with any quality. Dyche has progressed his game by simplifying it and telling him to stay back - he's been better than I expected, but I reckon you'd struggle to name another 3 teams in the league he'd start for.

I'd be starting Patterson at right back now at home. Still play deep, but we've got to start offering a threat against the teams who have to come to Goodison or some pace down the flanks. If not Patterson, I'd even be tempted to lash Garner there - at least then we'd have one full back who can cross a ball for Calvert-Lewin/Doucoure.
Any full back or winger that could cross a ball right now would be great. We anre so poor ant it unless it’s a dead ball. Only Patterson has any assists out of all the players that have played fullback for us this season. Think we could cope with Patterson better if we had any semblance of tactics and players dropping in to cover when a fullback goes forward. But our midfield is all over the place as well.

I completely agree about Garner, something I advocated a while back.

But Patterson isn't the answer in terms of getting those crosses in we need.

PL stats shows that he's played 39 times and crossed 71 times with a cross accuracy of 15%; so basically way less than two crosses per game. That's worse than Mykolenko who's played 73 times and crossed 153 times with a 23% accuracy rate.

PL stats shows that he's played 39 times and crossed 71 times with a cross accuracy of 15%; so basically way less than two crosses per game. That's worse than Mykolenko who's played 73 times and crossed 153 times with a 23% accuracy rate.

Gonna have to ask, as per, where these stats come from.

I've seen Patterson beat a man and cross a ball. I'm convinced he can offer us something going forward that would help. The likes of this, albeit U21 - a pacey, accurate cross;

and this against Sheff Utd;

... watch that. I dont think any other full back we have can give us that. The engine and cross.

Dyche has us defending very deep - rightly so. Very few goals conceded over the season, but the counter to that is players don't get forward. He's kryptonite for players like Patterson really.

Gonna have to ask, as per, where these stats come from.

C7A1858B-FACC-4941-B9FF-A7006F2496B7.jpeg

From here ?

I've seen Patterson beat a man and cross a ball. I'm convinced he can offer us something going forward that would help. The likes of this, albeit U21 - a pacey, accurate cross;

and this against Sheff Utd;

... watch that. I dont think any other full back we have can give us that. The engine and cross.

Dyche has us defending very deep - rightly so. Very few goals conceded over the season, but the counter to that is players don't get forward. He's kryptonite for players like Patterson really.

Patterson can deliver a very dangerous ball. That ball to Danjuma was a peach and I said so at the time. But he can't do it often enough for our purposes.

I can understand the desire to play a more offensive FB but the pros don't outweigh the cons of using Patterson. Last game aside, our defence has performed well all season even with a lot of RB rotation.

Garner may be an option.