2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no evidence that simms is better than him

He has scored 10/8/8 goals in this three years in the prem with Brighton, 25 goals in his last season in the championship.

It takes players a while to settle into new clubs, new systems - god knows it takes even longer at this circus show where he has been played here and there and in a lopsided system .

We should have learnt with Iwobi, McNeill now that some players just take a bit of time and you can’t count them out too early.

He has a big part to play this year - could be the one who scores a couple of vital goals at some point.

Love the optimism and I get what you mean with the Brighton output, he obviously knows where the net is. However, our style of play is a million miles away from what Brighton play, so I think he’s rendered totally ineffective from it.

Hope I’m wrong and he does bag a few before the end of the season.

He has scored 10/8/8 goals in this three years in the prem with Brighton, 25 goals in his last season in the championship.

It takes players a while to settle into new clubs, new systems - god knows it takes even longer at this circus show where he has been played here and there and in a lopsided system .

We should have learnt with Iwobi, McNeill now that some players just take a bit of time and you can’t count them out too early.

He has a big part to play this year - could be the one who scores a couple of vital goals at some point.
When Cal-Lewin is fully fit and that bit sharper as well, Maupay will get his run anticipating the flick ons and knock downs into the box, it's this part that we'll yearn for a Baines or Digne for some accurate crossing from deep, as the right ball knocked down will cut a lot of defences instantly, in against the keeper or the final defender we'll get to see if he's composed to finish or not....

The delusion here is amazing. No amount of wishful thinking is going to make this guy a player. He’s rank.
tbf, maybe he was back of the queue for Dyche, because if he can turn around the fortunes like with others nearly instantly we might have a Romario clone on our hands...

It was a double edged sword with Maupay yesterday. Dyche had to give him a go, but he is totally unsuited to the way we played the long ball. The ball came back too easily when he came on. I think Simms would be a better option coming on if DCl goes off. Maupay will probably be better used if we are chasing a goal.

It was a double edged sword with Maupay yesterday. Dyche had to give him a go, but he is totally unsuited to the way we played the long ball. The ball came back too easily when he came on. I think Simms would be a better option coming on if Dominic Calvert-Lewin goes off. Maupay will probably be better used if we are chasing a goal.
He was put on to do a dirty job. Winding up and niggling the Arsenal defence. Stopping them building from the back. He did that really well. Hence the hand bags in added time. I agree as a player to score loads of goals he's not going to do it, but did exactly what we needed. For the time he was on the pitch.

We defended from the front yesterday, protected out lead by keeping them from building.

He was put on to do a dirty job. Winding up and niggling the Arsenal defence. Stopping them building from the back. He did that really well. Hence the hand bags in added time. I agree as a player to score loads of goals he's not going to do it, but did exactly what we needed. For the time he was on the pitch.

We defended from the front yesterday, protected out lead by keeping them from building.
This.
Played his part in the win via his cameo snide performance yesterday.
Disrupted the Gunners defence well.

Nobody who has watched Simms play could argue that he is anywhere near the same level as Maupay, let alone good enough for the premier league yet. He's a good finisher, but his all-round game is way off.

…..the biggest risk to keeping our PL status is if we have to rely on Maupay for a number of games. The more games he has to play, the greater the risk.

Maupay is not fit for purpose & thats down to the dreadful incompetence of the club.
To be fair I reckon if we had to rely on Maupay for a batch of games then Dyche would also play to his strengths, as he did with Mykolenko, Doucoure and Mcneil yesterday with great results.

Lampard played him as a lone no9 which he's obviously not cut out for. Yesterday he was just a straight swap for Calvert Lewin again as options were scarce.

I truly don't see Dyche ever playing him on his own up top, he'll be well aware of his comfort zone.

Having said that with Doucoures performance yesterday he now is probably no 1 choice to support the main No 9.

Just watch the goal machine that is Neal Maupay tear Liverpool up on Monday. I don't see him doing too well with high crosses, but I think he would be fine if we fizz a few low balls across their area for him to attack.

…..the biggest risk to keeping our PL status is if we have to rely on Maupay for a number of games. The more games he has to play, the greater the risk.

Maupay is not fit for purpose & thats down to the dreadful incompetence of the club.
He was totally the wrong profile of forward. They only needed to look at who he was replacing Richy who had pace, threat and pressing or DCL who has height, pace and can bully defenders, our forward option needed some of these attributes instead we bought more of a number ten to be our target man. Absolutely maddening decision. Would personally start Simms on Monday, let Maupay come on with twenty to go. I thought it was interesting Dyche mentioned Simms.

I think technically as a split striker he isn't bad but as a target man or line leader he is poor. I think he worked in the Brighton system because they are a passing team who build up and play one twos we rely on direct balls and hold up play he hssnt the pace or ariel ability to fulfill that role it's not his fault he was the wrong profile of forward. It's compounded by the clubs insane mismanagement of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.