2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
CA52EB89-546D-4B40-BB86-E769B060F8F1.jpeg

Feel a bit for this lad. Lashed into a team to replace Dom, and having long balls pumped up to him while he's up front by himself. That's not his game.

I highly doubt he'd be prolific in any event, but I maintain he bags 8-10 in a team that can a) pass, and b) can get players around him to support.

A half decent manager gets more oot of him imo.

He was scoring 8-10 goals a season under Potterball. Lashing crosses at him is unbelievably poor tactics.

Feel a bit for this lad. Lashed into a team to replace Dom, and having long balls pumped up to him while he's up front by himself. That's not his game.

I highly doubt he'd be prolific in any event, but I maintain he bags 8-10 in a team that can a) pass, and b) can get players around him to support.

…but that’s not how we play. Regardless, I’d expect any striker at this level to have basic back to goal technique & link play, everything knocked up to him comes back.

When we signed him I thought “oh well, at least he runs around a lot and is a bit of a snide”. He hardly moves. When he came on against Leicester, within 5 minutes you could tell he couldn’t be arsed.

Crab.

When we signed him I thought “oh well, at least he runs around a lot and is a bit of a snide”. He hardly moves. When he came on against Leicester, within 5 minutes you could tell he couldn’t be arsed.

Crab.
Notice that too, just before he was sub, he was 2 yards away from a loose ball. He stood and watch, did nothing.

Reactions: JJK

Which is why loads of people said he was a poor choice. It looks increasingly likely that that will prove to be the case.

Cant disagree with that. But i then wonder why when calvert lewin played he was put on the bench. He played at brighton when wellbeck played as the main striker.
Its typical Everton imo.

He's not that bad. He is a perfectly fine striker. He comes from a well-functioning Brighton where everyone knows their roles, and they have a clear identity, to an Everton where all of this is missing. Happens often with players we buy. A team that has no communication usually does poorly on a football pitch. It is, after all, a team game where the players must react to different stimuli as a coherent unit. That is the manager's job. A good manager, someone who manages to put together a team, where the individuals can use their strengths, and at the same time function as a unit, usually manages to get his teams to overperform.

Cant disagree with that. But i then wonder why when calvert lewin played he was put on the bench. He played at brighton when wellbeck played as the main striker.
Its typical Everton imo.
Yep, no real plan. We needed a striker, he was available and that was that. All despite the fact that he wasn't at all the type of striker we needed. I'm not saying the lad is a bad player, I'm sure he would do fine at a club that plays to his strengths, but he doesn't play well in the system we use and for £15m was a crazy purchase, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.