2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wont work here as a lone cf we have to get another target man who is able to hold the ball up. Maupay i still feel could work in a two
Agree he's more of a Naismith type who works off a target man why we bought him and expected him to be a number nine, boggles the mind

League One strikeforce.

Gordon, Gray, McNeil, Maupay, Rondon and a criminally unreliable D-CL.

Given the rest of our team is about 10th-place quality, that will relegate us.

He is not a target man, but we’re using him in that way.

He is an Adrian Heath type, busy and bustling second striker that plays off a target man.

….Adrian Heath was high quality in the basics of forward play. His technique meant the ball stuck when played into him, he could link play, he could go past defenders he could score goals, he could run a channel and gain possession, he could worry and occupy defenders.

Maupay isn’t a lone striker. To that end, his was a ridiculous signing but he‘s a forward and as such he should still have something to offer. He offers nothing, not even the basics.

….Adrian Heath was high quality in the basics of forward play. His technique meant the ball stuck when played into him, he could link play, he could go past defenders he could score goals, he could run a channel and gain possession, he could worry and occupy defenders.

Maupay isn’t a lone striker. To that end, his was a ridiculous signing but he‘s a forward and as such he should still have something to offer. He offers nothing, not even the basics.

But surely nobody would suggest he didnt offer anything to a very good brighton side over the past two years. For a player who offers nothing he started 25 games last season and 29 before. Why was he getting regular starts in a far better team than Everton are?
We all know he isn't a prolific scorer. We all know he isnt a lone focal point striker. That argument i get.
But its still quite amusing to me that a player can contribute in a better team, come here and be called rubbish.
We need to start looking in the mirror more and asking why that is.

But surely nobody would suggest he didnt offer anything to a very good brighton side over the past two years. For a player who offers nothing he started 25 games last season and 29 before. Why was he getting regular starts in a far better team than Everton are?
We all know he isn't a prolific scorer. We all know he isnt a lone focal point striker. That argument i get.
But its still quite amusing to me that a player can contribute in a better team, come here and be called rubbish.
We need to start looking in the mirror more and asking why that is.

….it’s a fair point & one that confirms my long-standing view that some players just fit a team. I think all of Maupay’s attributes are goal side of a back four but even then he’s not prolific with chances.

it was a very poor piece of business buying a player who just doesn’t suit the way we play. I even doubt he’d be good for us as an impact sub off the bench. Lampard would have to change his playing model to suit him & he’s not good enough for that.

….it’s a fair point & one that confirms my long-standing view that some players just fit a team. I think all of Maupay’s attributes are goal side of a back four but even then he’s not prolific with chances.

it was a very poor piece of business buying a player who just doesn’t suit the way we play. I even doubt he’d be good for us as an impact sub off the bench. Lampard would have to change his playing model to suit him & he’s not good enough for that.

I do have a criticism of the manager that when calvert lewin came back maupay was plonked straight on the bench. He played off wellbeck at brighton. Dont know why he wasnt tried playing off calvert lewin.
Though i appreciate it isnt that straight forward. Brightons midfield was far superior to Evertons. Its all linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.