New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People wanted Moyes for weeks before Smith had even gone, his Preston team were playing decent football and was doing wonders with a small budget. Nuno is nothing like that, doesn’t feel like a change at all. It feels like another mediocre appointment that sees ‘The Everton Way’ continue unchanged for about 2 years.

I seem to remember Moyes's Preston came and played us off the park in a cup tie earlier that season (or maybe the season before). I remember most fans being very impressed with them and that while they were a team with obvious limitations he got the best from them.

I'd also say, what Moyes did in 2002 was fantastic for the club, but it wouldn't be enough now. Just as what Nuno did at Wolves will not be enough here. Best of the rest won't be the goal at all.

Haven't read most of this thread, or paid much attention to Wolves the last few years, or NES ever before that, but can someone (sensibly) explain all the negativity over his potential appointment? Is it just last season, or because he didn't beat PSG to the title last year??? I feel like there must be something I missing?
A lot of recency bias IMO. There wouldn't be this many people complaining if it was this time last season. He got Wolves to a Europa QF and finished back to back 7th places. Also he is a Premier league manager and most hate them as they aren't some random fella from France or Portugal they've never heard of until a week ago

I seem to remember Moyes's Preston came and played us off the park in a cup tie earlier that season (or maybe the season before). I remember most fans being very impressed with them and that while they were a team with obvious limitations he got the best from them.

I'd also say, what Moyes did in 2002 was fantastic for the club, but it wouldn't be enough now. Just as what Nuno did at Wolves will not be enough here. Best of the rest won't be the goal at all.
The problem is, we aren't the best of the rest any more and haven't been for about 5 years. We need to get back to that level before we can kick on again. We need European football back asap

Conte would be the ideal choice IMHO

I like Nuno's profile but I do think you risk too much baggage there with Mendes & transfers too - not a dimension you want to endure for any length of time

I suspect there are only a handful of clubs that will tempt ten Hag
How is conte ideal?

he could start an argument in an empty room. Exactly not what we need right now.

There's something in the back of my head telling me this isn't a done deal anyway and it's not happening. Be nice to find out which direction we are heading in though.

The problem is, we aren't the best of the rest any more and haven't been for about 5 years. We need to get back to that level before we can kick on again. We need European football back asap

I mean the concept of "best of the rest" has sort of gone really. Leicester and West Ham finished above Arsenal and Spurs and had a great chance of finishing above Liverpool and Chelsea too. The gap is closing all the time. Ourselves, Wolves, Villa etc are also improving while the likes of Arsenal and Spurs and to a degree Liverpool are declining.

My wider point is that 3 seasons of finishing 7th twice and then a 15th-never getting beyond 59 points in the process will not see him in a job here beyond those 3 years in my view. I don't think the fans will accept it, but I also don't think Moshiri will accept it.

He will probably get more resources than he had at Wolves, but he will need to crack the top 6 over the next 3 years imo.

Nuno would have happened already if it was going to happen surely. a bit of an underwhelming appointment if it does happen but he'll get my backing, well until we lose at home to Norwich and we muster 1 shot on target.

A lot being made of Wolves being horrific last season. And they were horrific. But they did lose a fair few players, Jota and Doherty were two crucial players and then losing Jiminez is a massive loss. Jonny Otto was written off on the other side. Neto lost for the final stretch of the season. They lost nearly half their starters with the rest being rather average players or players that have simply lost interest after 4 years or so at the club like Neves and Patricio. The actual team he had available finished pretty much where it shouldve done. Granted he was responsible for drafting in the replacements who weren't good enough

There's something in the back of my head telling me this isn't a done deal anyway and it's not happening. Be nice to find out which direction we are heading in though.

The confusing bit for me, is that there has been no announcement from the club, and it's Monday. If it starts dragging into midweek then it looks a bit suspect.

One other thing I'd add is that I don't believe Toffee Tv have got a video out on this. Normally if there is imminent news they will have a video out, or at least a video out profiling Nuno. I appreciate it's the weekend but it still seems odd. I wonder if someone at the club has had a quiet word and said to just lay off doing that for now.

My gut feeling is, it's very close, but there may be 1 or 2 issues holding things up and Nuno's side have felt announcing the deal may cause people to back down on it. Who knows?

A lot being made of Wolves being horrific last season. And they were horrific. But they did lose a fair few players, Jota and Doherty were two crucial players and then losing Jiminez is a massive loss. Jonny Otto was written off on the other side. Neto lost for the final stretch of the season. They lost nearly half their starters with the rest being rather average players or players that have simply lost interest after 4 years or so at the club like Neves and Patricio. The actual team he had available finished pretty much where it shouldve done. Granted he was responsible for drafting in the replacements who weren't good enough

This is a very fair point. In fairness we had worse injuries than them, but losing Jiminez after losing Jota in the summer was a disaster for them, not far off losing Lukaku for us.

The confusing bit for me, is that there has been no announcement from the club, and it's Monday. If it starts dragging into midweek then it looks a bit suspect.

One other thing I'd add is that I don't believe Toffee Tv have got a video out on this. Normally if there is imminent news they will have a video out, or at least a video out profiling Nuno. I appreciate it's the weekend but it still seems odd. I wonder if someone at the club has had a quiet word and said to just lay off doing that for now.

My gut feeling is, it's very close, but there may be 1 or 2 issues holding things up and Nuno's side have felt announcing the deal may cause people to back down on it. Who knows?
I'm expecting it today if it's Nuno if not then I'm not convinced he's got it. Not sure why other than a gut feeling.

I'm expecting it today if it's Nuno if not then I'm not convinced he's got it. Not sure why other than a gut feeling.

I think that's not a wholly unreasonable way to view things. All I will say, is that gut feelings have been quite wrong this time, I really thought we had moved on from Nuno.

I wonder if people at the club have seen the generally quite negative response on social media and it has spooked them a bit? It shouldn't matter, but I do sense this sort of stuff does for Everton's board.

This is where I think we're realistically at, too. We need to recalibrate because we have gone backwards.

I'm all for a steady ship challenging for 7th upwards for a few seasons on the bounce, while we build a proper forward-looking squad.

I think that's not a wholly unreasonable way to view things. All I will say, is that gut feelings have been quite wrong this time, I really thought we had moved on from Nuno.

I wonder if people at the club have seen the generally quite negative response on social media and it has spooked them a bit? It shouldn't matter, but I do sense this sort of stuff does for Everton's board.
What bothers me is the fact the whole point of a DoF is to have continuity and yet here we are looking rudderless again. I thought DoFs were supposed to have contingency plans and such to keep disruption at a minimum. Confuses me Brands role at the club, just seems he gets overrules about everything.

I really don’t understand why you put so much focus on a section of posters who were probably no more than 1/3 of the forum who wanted him out.

Does that really matter that much? It’s just people’s opinions.
Not like it has had any influence on anything which happened.

what’s the obsession with constantly banging on about people who weren’t happy with the way things were going?
Don't soften it up for them with your language. Weren't happy. They wanted his head on a spike after he had fruit and veg skulled at him crawling down matthews street. I have taking it on as a duty to forever address thier unreasonable behaviour in attempt to bring about enlightenment. I care about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back